Dynamics - determining an angle

In summary, the shaft OA rotates at an angular speed of 50 rad/sec and the angle between OA and vA is 30 degrees.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3696/abaod.jpg

In mechanism OAB, as described in the drawing, shaft OA rotates counterclockwise at an angular speed of 50 rad/sec.

Given:
OA = AB = R = 300mm

For the condition where angle Phi is 30 degrees, calculate:

A) The angular speed of the connecting rod AB
B) The speed of piston B

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now my confusion emanates from the velocities diagram of the solution manual. Notice that they've determined that the angle between Va and the X axis is 30 degrees. Based on what principle has this been determined? Yes, we do know that angles ABO and AOB are 30 degrees, but I don't see how that necessarily relates to the fact that the angle between Va and X axis is 30.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1733/velocitiesdiagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you say something about the angle between OA and vA?

And the angle between OA and the x-axis (in its positive direction)?

I'm sorry, I forgot a fact

OA = AB = R = 300mm

I like Serena said:
Can you say something about the angle between OA and vA?

Well, no, because I don't know at what angle do I pitch vA. I don't know how they've come up with the fact it's 30 degrees.
And the angle between OA and the x-axis (in its positive direction)?

Well, that's a given to us, 120 degrees

Femme_physics said:
Well, no, because I don't know at what angle do I pitch vA. I don't know how they've come up with the fact it's 30 degrees.

And what if you consider that point A makes a circular motion around point O? :confused:

Femme_physics said:
Well, that's a given to us, 120 degrees

Not that one - the other side (with the positive x axis)! :wink:

And what if you consider that point A makes a circular motion around point O?

Great explanation. I can see clearly now the rain is gone :)

Not that one - the other side (with the positive x axis)!

Um, I guess I had a different idea of positive. Then it's 60 degrees! :) I think I'm able to unravel a lot now thanks to you. Hmm. Now I guess I can carry on, but class is starting in 50 minutes and I got to catch a ride. Thanks ILS for all the great help. :) I hope that now I'll be able to solve it without your godly touch directing me at the right course. :)

What is the definition of an angle?

An angle is a measure of rotation formed by two intersecting lines or surfaces. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

How is an angle determined?

An angle can be determined by using a protractor or by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, depending on the given information.

What are the different types of angles?

The different types of angles include acute, right, obtuse, straight, and reflex angles. Acute angles are less than 90 degrees, right angles are exactly 90 degrees, obtuse angles are greater than 90 degrees, straight angles are exactly 180 degrees, and reflex angles are greater than 180 degrees.

What is the importance of determining angles in dynamics?

In dynamics, determining angles is important because it helps us understand the motion and forces acting on objects. It allows us to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces, as well as predict the trajectory of an object.

How can angles be measured in real-world scenarios?

Angles can be measured using various tools such as clinometers, inclinometers, and sextants. In addition, angles can also be estimated using landmarks or other visual cues in the environment.