1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics help: variable acceleration and angular velocity

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    I have to do these 2 problems for homework, but I can't figure them out. Any help would be appreciated.

1. The motorcycle is traveling at 1m/s when it is at A(the origin). If the speed is then increased at [itex] \dot{V} = .1 m/s^2[/itex], determine its speed and acceleration at the instant t = 5 seconds. The motorcycle is following the curve [itex]y = 0.5 x^2[/itex].

2. Rod OA rotates counterclockwise with a constant angular velocity of θ = 6 rad/s. Through mechanical means collar B moves along the rod with a speed of [itex]r = 4 t^2 m/s[/itex], where t is in seconds. If r = 0 when t = 0, determine the magnitudes of velocity and acceleration of the collar when t = 0.75 sec.

This is the link to the image for question 2:
    http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/user/jackcastle618/media/Dynamics4_zps5a431c20.jpg.html

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    For question 1, start with the Kinematic Equations, specifically v = u + at

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    so using v = u + at:

v = 1m/s + .1(5)
    v = 1.5 m/s

now I need a. i believe i need to find radial and tangential a?
    so i have a = vdot
    so a_r = .1 m/s^2
    but how do I get the acceleration that is based on the curve y = .5x^2?

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think you can use that here. The rate of increase of speed is constant, but that's not the same as acceleration as strictly defined. Acceleration is a vector, or a component of a vector in a consistent direction.
    medynamics, try to write down some equations relating dx/dt, dy/dt etc.

It's not a good idea to put two unrelated problems in the same thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook