Dynamics help: variable acceleration and angular velocity

In summary, the first problem involves a motorcycle traveling at 1m/s that increases its speed by 0.1 m/s^2. The task is to determine the speed and acceleration of the motorcycle at t = 5 seconds while following the curve y = 0.5x^2. The second problem involves a rotating rod with a collar moving along it at a rate of 4t^2 m/s, starting from rest at t = 0. The goal is to find the velocity and acceleration of the collar at t = 0.75 seconds.
medynamics
I have to do these 2 problems for homework, but I can't figure them out. Any help would be appreciated.

1. The motorcycle is traveling at 1m/s when it is at A(the origin). If the speed is then increased at [itex] \dot{V} = .1 m/s^2[/itex], determine its speed and acceleration at the instant t = 5 seconds. The motorcycle is following the curve [itex]y = 0.5 x^2[/itex].2. Rod OA rotates counterclockwise with a constant angular velocity of θ = 6 rad/s. Through mechanical means collar B moves along the rod with a speed of [itex]r = 4 t^2 m/s[/itex], where t is in seconds. If r = 0 when t = 0, determine the magnitudes of velocity and acceleration of the collar when t = 0.75 sec.

This is the link to the image for question 2:
http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/user/jackcastle618/media/Dynamics4_zps5a431c20.jpg.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1, start with the Kinematic Equations, specifically v = u + at

so using v = u + at:

v = 1m/s + .1(5)
v = 1.5 m/s

now I need a. i believe i need to find radial and tangential a?
so i have a = vdot
so a_r = .1 m/s^2
but how do I get the acceleration that is based on the curve y = .5x^2?

CaptainEvil said:
For question 1, start with the Kinematic Equations, specifically v = u + at
I don't think you can use that here. The rate of increase of speed is constant, but that's not the same as acceleration as strictly defined. Acceleration is a vector, or a component of a vector in a consistent direction.
medynamics, try to write down some equations relating dx/dt, dy/dt etc.

It's not a good idea to put two unrelated problems in the same thread.

1. To solve this problem, we need to use the equations of motion for variable acceleration. We know that the initial speed (u) is 1m/s and the acceleration (\dot{V}) is 0.1 m/s^2. Using the equation v = u + at, we can find the final speed (v) at t = 5 seconds:

v = 1 + (0.1)(5) = 1.5 m/s

To find the acceleration, we can use the equation a = \dot{V}. Therefore, the acceleration at t = 5 seconds is 0.1 m/s^2.

Now, to find the speed and acceleration at any point on the curve y = 0.5 x^2, we need to use the equations of motion for variable acceleration in two dimensions. The equations are:

v_x = u_x + a_x t
v_y = u_y + a_y t
x = u_x t + 0.5 a_x t^2
y = u_y t + 0.5 a_y t^2

Since the motorcycle is following the curve y = 0.5 x^2, we can substitute this equation into the equations above and solve for v_x and v_y:

v_x = u_x + a_x t = 0 + 0.1 t = 0.1 t
v_y = u_y + a_y t = 0 + 0.5 t = 0.5 t

Therefore, the speed at t = 5 seconds is:

v = √(v_x^2 + v_y^2) = √(0.1^2 + 0.5^2) = 0.51 m/s

And the acceleration at t = 5 seconds is:

a = √(a_x^2 + a_y^2) = √(0.1^2 + 0.5^2) = 0.51 m/s^2

2. To solve this problem, we need to use the equations of rotational motion. We know that the angular velocity (θ) is constant at 6 rad/s and the speed (r) is given by r = 4 t^2 m/s. Therefore, to find the velocity and acceleration at t = 0.75 seconds, we can use the following equations:

v = rθ

1. What is variable acceleration in dynamics?

Variable acceleration in dynamics refers to the change in an object's velocity over time. This means that the object's speed and/or direction is changing, resulting in a non-constant acceleration. This is in contrast to constant acceleration, where the object's velocity changes at a constant rate.

2. How is variable acceleration calculated?

Variable acceleration is calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for any of the variables if the other three are known.

3. What is angular velocity in dynamics?

Angular velocity in dynamics is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or spins around a fixed axis. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s). Angular velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the formula v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object, and ω is the angular velocity. This means that as angular velocity increases, linear velocity also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does variable acceleration affect angular velocity?

In general, variable acceleration can affect angular velocity in two ways. First, if an object's linear velocity is changing due to variable acceleration, this can cause a change in angular velocity if the object is rotating around a fixed axis. Second, if the object's angular velocity is changing, this can also cause a change in linear velocity. This relationship is described by the formula v = rω.