1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - particle moves on smooth inside surface of hemisphere?

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm currently working on this question:

A particle moves on the smooth inside surface of the hemisphere
    z = -(a^2 - r^2)^(1/2), r <= a,
    where (r, theta, z) denote cylindrical polar coordinates, with the z-axis vertically upward.

Initially the particle is at z = 0, and it is projected with speed V in the theta-direction.

1. Show that the particle moves between two heights in the subsequent motion, and find them.

2. Show, too, that if the parameter b = (V^2)/4ga is very large then the difference between the two heights is approximately a/(2b).

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of energy 1/2 m(r'^2 + r^2 theta'^2 + z'^2) + mgz = constant
    rtheta' = V
    r^2 theta = aV
    theta ' = aV/r^2
    ( ' = dot, differentiation)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really stuck on question 1, I got to an answer using conservation of energy that ended with solving a quadratic, this is the particle moves between z=0 and z= (V^2 + sqrt(V^4 + 16g^2a^2))/4g but when I sub in the parameter in (2) I get to the wrong answer, ie 2ab. So I guess I've done 1 wrong. Any ideas guys?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Kate2010! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    How did you get 2ab from that equation (I get a/2b)?

(Did you use √(1 + X) ~ 1 + X/2 ?)

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3
    I can get to a(b + √(b² +1))

Then I said √(b² +1) is roughly equal to b, I think this is where I'm going wrong?

5. Jan 10, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oops! :redface: i've just noticed that when i got a/2b, i misread your equation as z= (V^2 - sqrt(V^4 + 16g^2a^2))/4g (with a minus instead of a plus) …

are you sure it isn't that (because the z should be negative, shouldn't it)?

6. Jan 10, 2010 #5
    Yes you're right, z should be negative.

So I get to a(b - √(b² +1))

I still don't understand how this is approximately equal to a/2b.

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

he he :biggrin: … i'm accidentally right again! :redface:
    b is large, so you need to divide by b to get (1 + something-small) inside the √ …

a(b - √(b² +1)) = ab(1 - √(1 +1/b²)).

Now just use √(1 + X) ~ 1 + X/2. :wink:

8. Jan 10, 2010 #7
    Got it! Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook