Dynamics - Relative velocities in rigid bodies

In summary, the problem involves two gears, Gear 1 and Gear 2, connected to points O and A respectively, with Gear 1 having an angular velocity of 20k rad/s and Gear 2 having an angular velocity of -10k rad/s. The question asks for the angular velocity of the connecting arm OA and the speed of point A. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations vA=vO+(wOA x rA/O) and w2=w1+w2/1, and assuming that the gears are touching externally and there is no slip at the contact point P. After calculations, it is determined that the angular velocity of A w.r.t. O is 8k rad/s and the speed
kdm06

Homework Statement

Point O is fixed in space. Gear 1 has an angular velocity of 20k rad/s, and Gear 2 has an angular velocity of -10k rad/s. r1 = 0.3 m and r2 = 0.2 m. What is the angular velocity of the connecting arm OA, and what is the speed of A?

Gear 1 is larger than Gear 2. Gear 1 is connected to point O and Gear 2 is connected to point A.

Homework Equations

vA=vO + (wOA x rA/O)

The Attempt at a Solution

w2=w1 + w2/1
-10k=20k+w2/1
w2/1=-30k

vA=vO+(wOA x rA/O)
vA=0 + -30k x .5i
vA= -6j m/s

The correct answer is 4j m/s. I think I am using the right equations but I am not fully understanding the concept of relative velocity when different bodies are in effect. Can someone please explain this problem to me? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me?

kdm06 said:
Can someone please help me?

No reply so far could have been because your problem was not very clear! I did have a hard time understanding it. You nowhere mentioned where is A? A figure should have made things easier.

From the question and your attempt at solution, this is what I have been able to figure out: The two gears are touching each other externally! (Note that, they could have been independent as well.)
Furthermore, I have also assumed that the angular velocities provided for each of the gears are about their own axes, not w.r.t. the fixed ground. Of course, since O is fixed, w1/O = w1/G = 20k rad/s. Here, 1 refers to gear 1 and G refers to ground reference. But, A is not fixed. Thus, w2/A = -10k rad/s, which is not equal to w2/G. Now, we are required to find wA/O, angular velocity of A w.r.t. O (which will also be equal to wA/G).

Now to find wAO, note that there is no slip at contact point. Let us call contact point P. (The point on gear 1 be called P1 and the point on gear 2 be called P2.)
For no-slip condition at P, velocity of P1 must be equal to velocity of point P2.
vP1/O = vP2/O.

Now, vP1/O = w1/O X rP1/O.
And, as vP2 = vA/O + vP2/A,
=> vP2/O = wA/O X rA/O + w2/A X rP2/A.

{ X stands for vector cross product, and letters in bold refer to vector quantities. }

Now, without loss of any generality, we can assume that P is a point on x-axis. (Note, all angular velocities are in k direction.
Then, vP1/O = 6j m/s,
and, vP2/O = (O.5*wA/O + 2)j m/s.
Wherefrom, wA/O = 8 rad/s.
Thus, wA/O = 8k rad/s.

And, vA/O = wA/O X rA/O = 4j m/s.

Thus, vA/O = 4 m/s.

Note: Try to put up clear questions.

Thank you so much. I'm sorry I didn't have picture because it was confusing. I just don't know how to put a picture on here. I'll try next time. Thank you.

What is the concept of relative velocities in rigid bodies?

Relative velocities in rigid bodies refer to the motion of objects in relation to each other. It takes into account the velocity of one object with respect to another object, rather than just the individual velocities of each object.

How is relative velocity measured?

Relative velocity can be measured by calculating the difference between the velocities of two objects. This can be done by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object, taking into account direction and magnitude.

What is the importance of understanding relative velocities in rigid bodies?

Understanding relative velocities in rigid bodies is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and aerodynamics. It helps in predicting the behavior of objects in motion and designing efficient and safe systems.

What are some real-life applications of relative velocities in rigid bodies?

Some real-life applications of relative velocities in rigid bodies include analyzing the motion of vehicles on a highway, designing roller coasters, and predicting the movement of particles in a fluid.

How does relative velocity differ from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity only considers the individual motion of each object. Relative velocity also takes direction into account, while absolute velocity does not.