Calculating Angular Momentum of a Skater on a Spinning Disk

In summary: So in summary, the skater will spin with angular velocity \omega = 6 rad/s with his arms extended, but will spin much faster with his arms by his side.His total mass excluding arms is M = 70 kg. If the skater begins skaing around the edge of the disk at a speed of 2 m/s, the disk will turn with angular momentum I_{disk} = 7.798 kgm/s.
gupster
Practice question for a general physics exam - I'm a 4th year undergraduate but have mostly taken astrophysics courses this year so am a bit stuck going back to general physics...

Homework Statement

A skater spins with angular velocity [tex]\omega = 6 rad/s[/tex] with his arms extended. How fast will he spin with his arms by his sides? Treat the skater's body as a uniform cylinder of radius R = 20cm, approximate his arms as thin uniform rods of length L = 70 cm and mass m = 4.5 kg. His total mass excluding arms is M = 70 kg.

After ceasing to spin the skater now steps onto the outer edge of a large uniform disk of radius [tex]R_{disk} = 2.5 m[/tex] and mass [tex]M_{disk} = 500 kg[/tex]. Assume that the disk is mounted on a frictionless bearing with a vertical axis of rotation and is initially at rest. If the skater begins skaing around the edge of the disk at a speed of 2 m/s how fast does the disk turn and what is its angular momentum?

Homework Equations

For a body of mass M with a moment of inertia I about an axis through its ventre of mass the
moment of inertia about a parallel axis a distance d from the first is [tex]I + Md^{2}[/tex]

The moment of inertia of a uniform cylinder of mass M, radius R and length L rotating about its axis is [tex]\frac{1}{2}ML^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've done the first part. I called the situation with the arms outstretched 1 and arms by his side 2 so

[tex]I_{1} = \frac{1}{2}MR^{2} = \frac{1}{2}(79)(0.2)^{2} = 1.58[/tex]
[tex]I_{2} = \frac{1}{2}MR^{2} + 2(\frac{1}{12}ML^{2} +Md^{2})= \frac{1}{2}(70)(0.2)^{2} + 2(\frac{1}{12}(45)(0.7)^{2} + (4.5)(0.55)^{2})= 7.798[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}I_{1}\omega_{1}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}I_{2}\omega_{1}^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{2} = 13.33 rad/s[/tex]

Its the second part I'm struggling with. I've said

[tex]v = r\omega[/tex] and using conservation of momentum

[tex]v_{disk} = \frac{m_{s}v_{s}}{m_{disk}} = 0.316 m/s [/tex]

[tex]\omega_{s} = \frac{v_{s}}{r} = 0.83 rad/s [/tex]

Is this right because I'm not convinced...

Physics news on Phys.org
gupster said:
I think I've done the first part. I called the situation with the arms outstretched 1 and arms by his side 2 so

[tex]I_{1} = \frac{1}{2}MR^{2} = \frac{1}{2}(79)(0.2)^{2} = 1.58[/tex]
[tex]I_{2} = \frac{1}{2}MR^{2} + 2(\frac{1}{12}ML^{2} +Md^{2})= \frac{1}{2}(70)(0.2)^{2} + 2(\frac{1}{12}(45)(0.7)^{2} + (4.5)(0.55)^{2})= 7.798[/tex]
Looks like you reversed your notation. I_1 looks like an attempt at I for arms by his side.

What's the I for the torso? That should not change.

What's the I for the arms in each case?

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}I_{1}\omega_{1}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}I_{2}\omega_{1}^{2}[/tex]
Energy is not conserved, but something else is.

Oops yeah that notation is the wrong way round. I can't seem to edit my original post though.

So I do the moment of inertia for body+arms for each case and then assume momentum is conserved? That's the only other thing I can think of that is conserved! I'll have a go at that now then. I feel like I'm being really stupid not being able to do this but I was taught this stuff 3 and a half years ago and I don't think I ever fully grasped it!

gupster said:
So I do the moment of inertia for body+arms for each case and then assume momentum is conserved?
Yes. And it's angular momentum that's conserved. Assuming no friction, then there's no external torque and thus angular momentum is conserved.

I've hit a snag when trying to calcuate the moment of inertia for when his arms are by his side because I don't know the radius of his arms. I've said

I_arm = I + Md^2 where I = MR^2 and d is the distance from the axis i.e. R_body+R_arm

The arms are modeled as thin rods, not cylinders. Radius is small and irrelevant.

1. How does a spinning skater maintain their balance?

A spinning skater maintains their balance by using the force of friction between their skates and the ice. They also use their arms and body movements to shift their center of mass, keeping it over their skates and preventing them from falling.

2. Why does a spinning skater speed up when they bring their arms in?

When a spinning skater brings their arms in, they decrease their moment of inertia, which is the resistance to rotational motion. This allows them to spin faster due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity must remain constant.

3. How does a spinning skater slow down?

A spinning skater can slow down by extending their arms and increasing their moment of inertia. This will decrease their angular velocity and slow down their rotation. They can also use the force of friction to gradually slow down their rotation.

4. What happens if a spinning skater changes the direction of their spin?

If a spinning skater changes the direction of their spin, they will experience a change in angular velocity. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which means that the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity must remain constant. As the moment of inertia changes, the angular velocity will also change to maintain this constant.

5. How does the radius of a spinning skater's circle affect their speed?

The radius of a spinning skater's circle affects their speed through the conservation of angular momentum. As the radius decreases, the moment of inertia also decreases, causing the skater to spin faster to maintain a constant angular momentum. Conversely, a larger radius will result in a slower spin.