Understanding Tension Forces in a Motorboat and Water Skiing Scenario

• Thread starter mHo2
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking to determine the tension on the rope being pulled by a high powered motorboat, while a water skier is being towed with prototype skis. The spring scale attached to the tow rope reads 1000 N, and the total drag force from air and water resistance on the skier is 750 N. After further clarification, it is understood that the actual question was to determine the net force on the skier, which is 250 N, and this tension force on the rope is caused by the motorboat's acceleration and must be greater than 1000 N to overcome the boat's mass as well. This aligns with Newton's Second Law, where the net force equals mass times acceleration.
mHo2

Homework Statement

A high powered motorboat pulls a water skier who is testing some prototype skis. A heavy-duty spring scale that is attached to the tow rope reads 1000 N. The forces of air resistance and water resistance on the skier combine to give a total drag force of 750N

Determine the tension on the rope

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, these are the two answers i had:

1) 1000N
Because this is what the spring scale reads, this is what force is being applied in the 'left' direction.
2) 1750N
Because this is the addition of all of the forces. If i can remember correctly, if i am pulling on two sides of a spring scale, it will add up all of the forces both in the left and right direction.

However when looking at the answer key, the answer was 750N.

Why is this? It doesn't seem to compute for me. Is the tension on the rope the addition of all the resistive forces?

I don't think i fully understand the definition of 'tension'.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tension in the rope is given as 1000 N? What question are you trying to answer? Tensions don't add lke that, if I pull on you with a rope with a force of 1000N, then per Newton 3, you pull on me with a force of 1000 N, and the rope tension is 1000 N. But again, you gave an answer to a question you did not state.

PhanthomJay said:
The tension in the rope is given as 1000 N? What question are you trying to answer? Tensions don't add lke that, if I pull on you with a rope with a force of 1000N, then per Newton 3, you pull on me with a force of 1000 N, and the rope tension is 1000 N. But again, you gave an answer to a question you did not state.

The question is 'Determine the tension on the rope'
The spring scale connected to the rope, reads 1000N. If you read through my first part of my question, perhaps you will have a better idea of what I'm trying to ask?

mHo2 said:
The question is 'Determine the tension on the rope'
The spring scale connected to the rope, reads 1000N. If you read through my first part of my question, perhaps you will have a better idea of what I'm trying to ask?

The actual question was not to determine the tension on the rope
I am confused as to wheter that is the question or is not the question. Please clarify.

PhanthomJay said:
I am confused as to wheter that is the question or is not the question. Please clarify.

The actual question wasn't to determine the tension on the rope.. it was kind of a side question, my fault for adding that in, ignore that last sentence. The original post has been edited to remove it.

If the spring scale reads 1000 N, it is reading the tension force in the rope.

PhanthomJay said:
If the spring scale reads 1000 N, it is reading the tension force in the rope.

Odd. I would agree, but can you elaborate? I understand why there would be 750N of tension on the rope, to compensate for the 750N of drag force, then another 250N of tension to accelerate the skier?
I'm pretty much just asking what is causing the rope to experience 1000N of tension.

It would be good if you could state the entire question, but the high powered motor boat while accelerating is exerting a tension force in the rope of 1000 N on the skier. The total force delivered by its engine motor must be greater than that, since it must overcome the boat's mass as well. The net force on the skier is 250 N (F_net = F_t - F_r = 1000 -750 = 250). That net force accelerates the skier at the same rate, per Newton 2.

PhanthomJay said:
It would be good if you could state the entire question, but the high powered motor boat while accelerating is exerting a tension force in the rope of 1000 N on the skier. The total force delivered by its engine motor must be greater than that, since it must overcome the boat's mass as well. The net force on the skier is 250 N (F_net = F_t - F_r = 1000 -750 = 250). That net force accelerates the skier at the same rate, per Newton 2.

Unfortunately that was the whole question. There was a diagram, with a spring scale attached to a boat, and a skier attached to a rope which was in turn attached to that spring scale.

I think it was just a really badly worded question.

Thanks!

1. What is dynamics/tension question?

Dynamics/tension question refers to the study of forces and motion, and how they affect the behavior of objects. It involves understanding the relationship between forces, mass, and acceleration, and how these factors can change over time.

2. What are some examples of dynamics/tension question in everyday life?

Some examples of dynamics/tension question in everyday life include the forces acting on a car as it accelerates or decelerates, the tension on a rope during a tug-of-war, and the forces involved in a basketball player shooting a ball into a hoop.

3. How is dynamics/tension question related to Newton's laws of motion?

Dynamics/tension question is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationships between forces and motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the net force on an object to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. What are some common methods used to study dynamics/tension question?

Some common methods used to study dynamics/tension question include mathematical equations, experiments, and simulations. These methods allow scientists to predict and observe the behavior of objects under different forces and conditions.

5. How can an understanding of dynamics/tension question be applied in different fields?

An understanding of dynamics/tension question can be applied in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. For example, engineers use this knowledge to design structures and machines that can withstand different forces, while physicists use it to study the behavior of particles and objects in space. In sports, athletes and coaches use this understanding to improve their performance and technique.