Dyson-Wick formalism in second-order QED - trouble with derivation

In summary: Since the S matrix is a sum over all possible terms like this, we can just take one of the terms and multiply it by 2 to get the final result. The shuffling of gamma matrices is just a consequence of this equality.
Sojourner01
I have in front of me Quantum Field Theory, Mandl & Shaw. Chapter 7 deals with the theoretical basis of Feynman Diagrams using the Dyson-Wick formalism.

The chapter begins with applying Wick's Theorem to produce six S-Matrix components with a variety of no-equal-time contractions. It then details the contribution of one:

[tex]S^{(2)}_{B}=-\frac{e^{2}}{2!}\int\frac{d^{4}}{dx_{1}}\frac{d^{4}}{dx_{2}}N(\overline{\psi}A\psi)_{x_{1}}(\overline{\psi}A\psi)_{x_{2}}+...][/tex]

LaTeX can't adequately represent contraction marks as far as I know, so imagine there's a cntraction between the first psi and the second psi-bar, and a repetition of same with a contraction between the first psi-bar and the second psi.

The derivation goes on to break this down for the case of Compton scattering by electrons; I am struggling to understand how the two complementary components for the two photon fields produce the final two equations; the contractions in each case are reduced to [tex]iS_{F\alpha\beta}(x_{1}-x_{2})[/tex] with, presumably, the A-slash 1 and 2 on each side. Somehow though the definitions of the slash operator migrate:

[tex]\gamma^{\alpha}iS_{F}(x_{1}-x_{2})\gamma^{\beta}A_{\alpha}^{-}(x_{1})A_{\beta}^{+}(x_{2})[/tex]

and

[tex]\gamma^{\alpha}iS_{F}(x_{1}-x_{2})\gamma^{\beta}A_{\beta}^{-}(x_{2})A_{\alpha}^{+}(x_{1})[/tex]

I am afraid I can't see how the normal ordering resolves to this sequence. Anyone help me revise my Einstein notation and normal-ordering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

If it helps, the difficulty I have is that in the first resultant expression, the indices on the second gamma and the first A don't match. As far as I knew, this didn't mean anything as summation is over repeated indices.

Sojourner01 said:
Nobody?

If it helps, the difficulty I have is that in the first resultant expression, the indices on the second gamma and the first A don't match. As far as I knew, this didn't mean anything as summation is over repeated indices.

I don't have Mandl & Shaw, (though I have quite a few other QFT textbooks). If nobody
else gives you a useful answer within a reasonable time, you could try typing in more
of the context here and I'll try to say something helpful...

I'll see what I can do...

Given the definition of the S matrix:

[tex]S=\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-i)^{n}}{n!}\int...\int d^{4}x_{1}...d^{4}x_{n}T\{H_{I}(x_{1})...H_{I}(x_{n})\}[/tex]

and the interaction Hamiltonian being (for QED):

[tex]H_{I}(x)=-eN\{\overline{\psi}(x)\gamma_{i}A^{i}(x)\psi(x)\}[/tex]

The time-ordered product of two particles resolves, using Wick's Theorem, to six integrals of normal products, some of which aren't very interesting. The second one is used as an example:

[tex]S_{B}^{(2)}=-\frac{e^{2}}{2!}\int d^{4}x_{1}d^{4}x_{2}\left\{ N\left[(\overline{\psi}\gamma_{i}A^{i}\underbrace{\psi)_{x_{1}}(\overline{\psi}}\gamma_{i}A^{i}\psi)_{x_{2}}\right]+N\left[(\underbrace{\overline{\psi}\gamma_{i}A^{i}\psi)_{x_{1}}(\overline{\psi}\gamma_{i}A^{i}\psi})_{x_{2}}\right]\right\}[/tex]

where the underbraces represent contractions of [tex]\psi[/tex] and [tex]\overline{\psi}}[/tex].

The author states that the two normal products are equivalent and simply takes the first multiplied by two.

Using the identity:

[tex]\underbrace{\psi_{\alpha}(x_{1})\overline{\psi_{\beta}}(x_{2}})}=iS_{F\alpha \beta}(x_{1}-x_{2})[/tex]

where S is theFeynman propagator; this (apparently) resolves to the two counterpart expressions given in the original post. I don't see it, basically. There seems to have been a shuffling around of gamma matrices with no obvious justification - and you usually can't just change the order of matrix expressions.

Last edited:
The two terms are the same, except for what is being contracted with what. In the first term, [tex]\psi(x_1)[/tex] is contracted with [tex]\overline\psi(x_2)[/tex]. In the second term, [tex]\psi(x_2)[/tex] is contracted with [tex]\overline\psi(x_1)[/tex]. But, [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are both dummy integration variables, so swapping them doesn't change the result. Thus the two terms are equal after performing the integrations over [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the Dyson-Wick formalism in second-order QED?

The Dyson-Wick formalism is a mathematical framework used to calculate the scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory. In second-order QED, it is used to calculate the probabilities of particle interactions involving two photons and two charged particles.

2. What is the purpose of the Dyson-Wick formalism in second-order QED?

The purpose of the Dyson-Wick formalism is to provide a systematic and efficient way to calculate the scattering amplitudes in second-order QED. It allows for the calculation of complex Feynman diagrams involving multiple particles and interactions.

3. What is the main challenge in deriving the Dyson-Wick formalism in second-order QED?

The main challenge in deriving the Dyson-Wick formalism in second-order QED is dealing with the infinite number of possible intermediate states and interactions that can occur in the scattering process. This leads to the need for advanced mathematical techniques and approximations to simplify the calculations.

4. How does the Dyson-Wick formalism address the issue of infinities in QED calculations?

The Dyson-Wick formalism includes a technique called "renormalization" which allows for the cancellation of infinities that arise in the calculations. This is achieved by adjusting the parameters of the theory, such as the charge and mass of the particles, to match experimental results.

5. What are some applications of the Dyson-Wick formalism in second-order QED?

The Dyson-Wick formalism has been used to calculate various physical quantities in second-order QED, such as the cross-sections for scattering processes involving electrons and positrons. It has also been applied to the study of quantum electrodynamics in curved space-time and in the context of high-energy particle collisions.