What is the Meaning and Origin of the Mathematical Constant e?

• Thread starter Leonidas
  • Start date
In summary, e is a mathematical constant that is used in various calculations, particularly in the exponential function, which has many applications in fields such as economics, banking, and physics. It represents the limit of the sequence (1+\frac{1}{n})^{n} and has the property that the rate of growth is always proportional to the function. The user Daniel asks for clarification on the use of his name at the end of another user's post, to which the explanation is given that it is a way of signing off, similar to a letter.
Leonidas
alright... so what is e? I'm doing all this fun stuff integrating and deriving things with e in them to find weird stuff... the homework isn't too bad...

but what the heck is e?

I know what number it stands for... but where do we get it from and what does it mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit of the sequence:
[tex] (1+\frac{1}{n})^{n} [/tex]

It is very useful and especially the exponential function built with it.The latter has the property that the rate of growth (i.e. the derivative) is always proportional to the function.Economics and banking are depending upon epxonential function.Science in general...

Physics is written with the exponential.

Daniel.

Last edited:
thanks...thats really cool, I left my ti-89 at school, but when i get it again, i'll plug that into it and see if it gives me e...

that is really cool...

one more question...

why did you say Daniel at the very end of your post?

:smile: Because that's my name?? :smile:

Daniel.

PS.It's like a letter.You have to sign.Besides,the username is different from the name itself.

1. What is the significance of the number E in math and science?

The number E, also known as Euler's number or the base of the natural logarithm, is a fundamental mathematical constant that appears in many mathematical equations and models. It has applications in calculus, probability, and exponential growth, making it an essential concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is E calculated?

The number E is an irrational number, which means it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. Its approximate value is 2.71828182846, but it goes on infinitely without repeating. It can be calculated using the infinite series: E = 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ... + 1/n!

3. What is the relationship between E and the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln, is the inverse function of the exponential function with base E. In other words, if we take the natural logarithm of E, we get 1: ln(E) = 1. This relationship is often used in solving equations involving exponential and logarithmic functions.

4. How is E used in real-life applications?

The number E has various applications in different fields. In finance, it is used in compound interest calculations and in modeling the growth of investments. In physics, it appears in equations that describe natural phenomena, such as radioactive decay and population growth. It is also used in statistics and probability to model continuous data.

5. Who discovered the number E?

The number E was first introduced by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. However, the concept of the natural logarithm and its base has been studied by many mathematicians throughout history, including John Napier, who developed the concept of logarithms in the 16th century.