1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E = 2.71828182846

1. Jan 15, 2005 #1
    alright... so what is e? I'm doing all this fun stuff integrating and deriving things with e in them to find weird stuff... the homework isn't too bad...

but what the heck is e?

I know what number it stands for... but where do we get it from and what does it mean?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The limit of the sequence:
    [tex] (1+\frac{1}{n})^{n} [/tex]

It is very useful and especially the exponential function built with it.The latter has the property that the rate of growth (i.e. the derivative) is always proportional to the function.Economics and banking are depending upon epxonential function.Science in general...

Physics is written with the exponential.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  4. Jan 15, 2005 #3
    thanks...thats really cool, I left my ti-89 at school, but when i get it again, i'll plug that into it and see if it gives me e....

that is really cool...

one more question...

why did you say Daniel at the very end of your post?
  5. Jan 15, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:smile: Because that's my name?? :smile:

PS.It's like a letter.You have to sign.Besides,the username is different from the name itself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?