E-Learning: Engineering Degree Online - Advice Welcome!

• Thread starter allenewood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I dropped it after my sophomore year and it's really hard to get back into it.In summary, the best route for an aerospace engineering degree is to attend a local four year university and get a BS in EE. Afterwards, you can transfer to a four year university to get a MS in AE.
allenewood
Hello, I'm new to these forums. I'm interested in working towards a degree in aerospace engineering. The problem is I am stationed on a very isolated island for the navy for a while. My question is do any of you have experience in taking courses towards an engineering degree online? What college did you go through or would you recommend?

My plan is to take as many classes online that will go towards an aerospace engineering degree, and transfer to a four year university once I get out.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am leaning towards Central Texas University. They seem to have a good program for military personnel. With them I'll be able to get math out of the way up until calculus III. That, and they teach russian. How awesome is that!

See what Texas A&M (College Station) has to offer. :biggrin:

Looks like they have a great aerospace program, but for campus only. They do an online masters engineering degree plan though. Interesting

There are no engineering degree plans online. I guess the only route is a general studies associates degree and use the electives to take russian, math, physics, etc. However, I am not sure how this degree would add into a bachelors of aerospace engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to find two colleges that offer online mechanical engineering degrees. I know it's early to even think about a masters degree in anything but it might be best to get a bachelors in mechanical engineering and a masters in aerospace engineering since aerospace is not offered online.

Which programs would apply more towards aerospace engineering? One is electromechanical and one is just mechanical.

Old Dominion - curriculum - http://dl.odu.edu/database.php?todo=program&id=22
-program information: http://dl.odu.edu/military/navycollege/bset.shtml

University of North Dakota - curriculum - http://distance.und.edu/degree/requirements/MechanicalEngineering.pdf
-program information - http://distance.und.edu/degree/?id=mechengbs

I'm also considering an AA in General Studies at Central Texas University with electives aimed towards math, science, and russian (my minor). http://www.ctcd.edu/navy/C-2_CTC.pdf (page 16)

Which would be best? I will only be restricted to online education for 2.5 years. Would it be best to try and finish a general associates by then? or to work towards a mechanical engineering degree and then transfer to a local university prior to completion when I am released from the navy? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get the best of advice from those who're most knowledgeable. That, and there's no navy college office here :P.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the two mechanical engineering programs you're looking at, I'd go with the UND program. The program from ODU is an engineering technology program while the UND program is full-bore mechnical engineering with an ABET accreditation.

What part of aerospace engineering interest you? If its the structural side of things, then mechanical is the way to go. If you're interested in the electronics, UND also offers a BS in Electrical Engineering. Last, if you're interest are avionics, then I'd say go for a degree in computer science / software engineering.

I'm hoping to earn a masters degree in aerospace engineering (or applied mathematics) after finish up my bachelor's. Right now, I'm interested in avionics and sensor packages; therefore, I'm trying to earn my undergrad in computer science.

On a side note, are you currently part of the US Navy?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I've been researching for hours and hours today trying to find the right college so I can get registered in time for winter quarter. I am more interested in the structural side of things, but I am an electronics technician in the navy. That would bring applicable experience to my resume, and I would give myself an upperhand in college if I did EE instead of mechanical.

I am from Washington so my hope is to get a job at Boeing. What I believe I am going to do is attend Pierce College located in WA to get an AA in General Studies. Reason being is a) they are local. b) tuition assistance won't cover ODU or UND fully c) pierce has an engineering transfer program and I would like to transfer to UW to receive a BS in EE once I get back to the states.

So that does it...research done. Final decision is:

1) AA General Studies distance learning at Pierce College
2) Complete Electrical Engineering transfer program at Pierce
3) Earn a BS in EE at UW and a minor in Russian
4) Earn a MS in AE at UW

And good luck with your CS degree!

Last edited:
I understand what you're going through because I'm in the Air Force and its hard to find schools which TA will pay for. With that said, tuition assistance completely covers tuition and fees at NDU If you take a look at UND's Veterans Service website, it states that all active duty military pays in-state tuition rates ($239 per credit hour). TA pays up to $250 per credit hour.

Good luck with your endeavors as well! It took me forever to find a school since deployment rotations are insane right now and I can't get enough time to take a class in the classroom.

Almost a year later and I'm just about done with this tour. Turns out the Navy would not provide me TA while out here. So, I will begin class 1st quarter next year in EE.

1. What is "E-Learning"?

E-Learning, also known as online learning, refers to the use of electronic technologies to deliver educational content and instruction remotely. This allows students to access coursework and lectures from anywhere with an internet connection, making it a convenient option for those who are unable to attend traditional in-person classes.

2. What is an "Engineering Degree Online"?

An engineering degree online is a degree program in the field of engineering that is completed entirely through online coursework. This can include lectures, assignments, exams, and group projects, all done through online platforms. It offers the same curriculum and qualifications as a traditional on-campus engineering degree, but with the flexibility and convenience of online learning.

3. Is an online engineering degree reputable and recognized by employers?

Yes, online engineering degrees are becoming increasingly reputable and recognized by employers. As long as the program is accredited by a recognized accrediting agency, the degree holds the same value and credibility as a traditional on-campus degree. It is important to do thorough research and choose an accredited program to ensure the degree will be recognized by employers.

4. Can I complete an engineering degree online at my own pace?

It depends on the specific program and institution. Some online engineering degree programs offer a self-paced option where students can complete courses at their own pace within a certain timeframe. Others may have set deadlines and a more structured schedule. It is important to research and choose a program that fits your learning style and schedule.

5. What type of support and resources are available for online engineering students?

Online engineering students have access to a variety of resources and support, similar to on-campus students. This can include virtual office hours with professors, online tutoring services, virtual career counseling, and access to online libraries and databases. Many online programs also have a dedicated support team to assist students with technical issues or any questions related to the program.