E&M fields simulated and visualized in COMSOL, is that how they 'look' IRL?

In summary, the simulation results show that the M field is not uniform like the E field. This could be because the source point of the M field is not on the axis of the wire.
vis viva
TL;DR Summary
E&M fields simulated and visualized, is that how they 'look' In Real Life ?
Hi

I made a simulation (comsol) of a piece of aluminum wire (r=1mm h=10mm) excited by 1A DC inside a sphere (r=10mm) of air. Here are the 3D plots:

Screenshot from 2020-02-14 13-29-37.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-14 13-30-36.png

Since I ever only have 'seen' E&M fields depicted in textbooks and never in real life, I'm a bit surprised by the simulation result, I would at least have expected the M field to be more uniform like the E field.

I would appreciate if the experienced experts could weigh in here, is that really how real E&M fields would look like? Or maybe my simulation is flawed somehow, that's always a possibility.

Thank you.
KZ

Technology news on Phys.org
vis viva said:
Summary:: E&M fields simulated and visualized, is that how they 'look' In Real Life ?

Or maybe my simulation is flawed somehow, that's always a possibility.
it looks pretty flawed. Your source is axisymmetric, so your fields should have axisymmetry also.

Likes vis viva and Vanadium 50
My thought exactly, I now believe somehow E&M fields may not be fully coupled in the chosen physics interface Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) despite the documentation stating otherwise. So I split the physics up in two physics interfaces Electric Current (ec) and Magnetic Field (mf), and now the plot looks like in the textbooks:
Screenshot from 2020-02-14 19-42-25.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-14 19-42-50.png

The only slight drawback of two physics interfaces is that the wire needs to be excited for each physics interface i.e. two different ways but resulting in the same.

Now I wonder how I calculate and plot the Poynting vector(?) Probably in the Derived Values in the Results tree, but how.

First of all, how do you know that you've set this up correctly? COMSOL requires many tweaking, and just because you are able to produce a picture, it doesn't mean that this has any resemblance to reality. For example, how do you know the step-size is accurate enough, or if your mesh is fine enough that you haven't lost the detail?

Have you used COMSOL before and benchmarked it to something that you know the exact results for?

Zz.

First of all, how do you know that you've set this up correctly?

I don't.

COMSOL requires many tweaking

I agree.

just because you are able to produce a picture, it doesn't mean that this has any resemblance to reality.

I agree. But I was aiming for textbook resemblance p.t.

how do you know the step-size is accurate enough, or if your mesh is fine enough that you haven't lost the detail?

I don't. But when I find something that I know the exact results for, then this tweaking step is on the to-do list.

Have you used COMSOL before and benchmarked it to something that you know the exact results for?

No.

Then the problem here isn't physics, but rather the use and correct setup of the COMSOL routine.

Zz.

Then the problem here isn't physics, but rather the use and correct setup of the COMSOL routine.

Yes I agree, and I thought that was exactly what I said. But I see now that my mentioning of "physics interface" could be construed ambiguously.

"physics interface" is comsol terminology for software libraries that each solves certain/different types of physics problems.

I had initially chosen the physics interface Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) which turned out to be the wrong choice for this kind of static physics problem i.e. a comsol setup mistake on my behalf.

I was not inferring that "physics" (as defined e.g. by Encyclopædia Britannica ) was the problem.

I'm just answering my own rhetorical question about how to calculate and plot the Poynting vector S when E and H is known. Maybe this has some interest from other comsol beginners like me, or maybe not.

It was actually simpler than I thought, you can simply calculate the cross product directly in the form field where you pick the values you want to plot.

Screenshot from 2020-02-15 17-15-50.png

And then the plot looks like below (all vectors are normalized). I note there are slight problems with vectors whose source point is on axis with the wire, but I believe this is a matter of a bit further tweaking.
Screenshot from 2020-02-15 17-16-39.png

Likes Dale

1. How accurate is the simulation of E&M fields in COMSOL compared to real life?

The accuracy of the simulation depends on the complexity of the model and the accuracy of the input parameters. In general, COMSOL is known for its high accuracy in simulating E&M fields and has been validated by numerous experimental studies.

2. Can the E&M fields be visualized in 3D using COMSOL?

Yes, COMSOL allows for the visualization of E&M fields in 3D, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the field behavior and its interactions with various materials and structures.

3. How does COMSOL simulate the interaction between E&M fields and materials?

COMSOL uses finite element analysis to simulate the interaction between E&M fields and materials. This method takes into account the material properties and their response to the applied fields, resulting in a more accurate simulation.

4. Is it possible to simulate and visualize E&M fields in real-time using COMSOL?

Yes, COMSOL has a real-time simulation feature that allows for the visualization of E&M fields as they are being simulated. This can be useful for studying dynamic and time-dependent systems.

5. Can COMSOL simulate E&M fields in different environments or conditions?

Yes, COMSOL allows for the simulation of E&M fields in various environments and conditions, including different temperatures, pressures, and electric/magnetic boundary conditions. This provides a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of E&M fields in different settings.