E&M Solenoid and Capacitor problem

What might be causing an electric field in this situation? What about a magnetic field? How do electric and magnetic fields interact?In summary, the problem involves a large solenoid with a uniform magnetic field inside and a parallel plate capacitor embedded within it. The capacitor plates have surface charge densities of +σo and -σo, and the fields inside the capacitor are assumed to be uniform. The task is to sketch the fields inside the capacitor and find the current, I0, needed to produce the magnetic field strength of Bo. The equations for a solenoid state that B = 0 outside and B = μonI inside, and the attempt at a solution involves finding expressions for the E and B fields inside the capacitor. The difficulty
cool4u224

Homework Statement

Consider a large solenoid aligned with the z-axis with a uniform magnetic field inside given by Bo = Boz[hat]. Contained WITHIN the solenoid is a very large parallel plate capacitor and the plates (one at the x=0 plane and the other at the x = d plane) have surface charge densities of +σo (plate at x=0) and -σo (plate at x=d). Assume that the fields well within the capacitor are uniform.

A) Sketch the fields inside the capacitor. That is, show E and B. Given that the solenoid have no loops per unite length, what current, I0, must be run throught he solenoid to produce the magnetic field strength of Bo?

Homework Equations

For a solenoid B = 0 outside and B = μonI inside

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble getting expressions for the E and B fields inside the capacitor. If I can get a little bit of help on this I think I can answer the rest of the questions pertaining to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
cool4u224 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a large solenoid aligned with the z-axis with a uniform magnetic field inside given by Bo = Boz[hat]. Contained WITHIN the solenoid is a very large parallel plate capacitor and the plates (one at the x=0 plane and the other at the x = d plane) have surface charge densities of +σo (plate at x=0) and -σo (plate at x=d). Assume that the fields well within the capacitor are uniform.

A) Sketch the fields inside the capacitor. That is, show E and B. Given that the solenoid have no loops per unite length, what current, I0, must be run throught he solenoid to produce the magnetic field strength of Bo?

Homework Equations

For a solenoid B = 0 outside and B = μonI inside

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble getting expressions for the E and B fields inside the capacitor. If I can get a little bit of help on this I think I can answer the rest of the questions pertaining to this problem.
Where exactly are you getting stuck?

I am just confused on where to start. Are their just standard E and B fields within the capacitor? The book we are using is very narrow and has little usage outside of the examples and problems they assign. in this problem I have to go on to find the energy densities of E and B-fields in terms of σo and Io.

The parallel-plate capacitor is a standard topic in introductory electromagnetics, so I'm sure your book covers it. You can check other books as well if you don't like yours. Or try googling "parallel plate capacitor".

I realize that the Parallel plate capacitor is a standard topic, but where do they ever discuss one embedded in a solenoid? That is where I am getting caught up. How does, if it does at all, the solenoid affect the E and B fields within the capacitor. Likewise, how does the Capacitor affect the E and B fields withing the Solenoid but outside the Capacitor? Once I figure out an expression for the E and the B fields I think I can get the rest. I am just struggling with that part.
Thanks.

Books aren't going to discuss every possible configuration. That would be impossible. You need to take what you know about electric and magnetic fields and deduce what E and B should be in this situation. Where do electric fields come from? Magnetic fields?

Related to E&M Solenoid and Capacitor problem

1. What is an E&M Solenoid?

An E&M solenoid, also known as an electromechanical solenoid, is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a ferromagnetic core, which creates a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through the coil.

2. How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current is passed through the coil of a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field that attracts a ferromagnetic plunger or rod. This movement of the plunger or rod can be used to create mechanical motion, such as opening or closing a valve, or to generate electrical energy in a generator.

3. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical energy.

4. How does a capacitor work?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, such as a battery, it charges by storing electrons on one of the plates and removing them from the other plate. When the capacitor is disconnected from the power source, it can release this stored energy, providing a burst of electricity. This process is repeated as the capacitor charges and discharges in an electrical circuit.

5. What is the relationship between a solenoid and a capacitor in an E&M problem?

In an E&M problem, a solenoid and a capacitor may be connected in a circuit, with the solenoid providing the electromagnetic energy and the capacitor storing and releasing electrical energy. The two components work together to create a functioning electrical system, with the solenoid providing the force and the capacitor providing the energy storage.