E/M Vector Potential of finite Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a finite wire on the z-axis and its corresponding vector potential in the xy plane. The goal is to find a suitable choice for a scalar field λ that would yield a finite vector potential A' in the limit Λ->∞. The problem involves taking the curl of A and using the chain rule for the derivative. The solution suggests considering the problem in terms of an angle instead of a distance in order to find a suitable value for λ.
shannon

Homework Statement

Consider a finite wire which lies on the z-axis and extends from the point z=-Λ to the point z=+Λ. The vector potential in the xy plane a distance s from the wire is:
Λ->∞
A=(µₒI/2π) ln (2Λ/s) k̂

An equally good vector potential is given by A'=A+∆λ, where λ is any scalar field we wish to choose. Determine a suitable choice for λ which has the property that A' remains finite in the limit Λ->∞.
(Let ∆ be rotated 180 to be the gradient.)

Homework Equations

I found the curl of A=(µₒI/2π) ln (2Λ/s) k̂ to find the magnetic field, and I got:
A*= -(µₒI/2πs)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, here is what I did:
I figured that I had to find a value of λ that gave way to a A' that when you took the curl of it would yield A*. At first, I just tried to find a value of λ that was involving ln (...)k̂,
but then I saw that A' would then depend (s), and it would be tricky to find a value. Then I saw the hint that it was better if λ didn't depend on (s).

So, if I just want A, can I just choose a random constant for λ? Like 4 or something?

Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
shannon said:

Homework Statement

Consider a finite wire which lies on the z-axis and extends from the point z=-Λ to the point z=+Λ. The vector potential in the xy plane a distance s from the wire is:
Λ->∞
A=(µₒI/2π) ln (2Λ/s) k̂

An equally good vector potential is given by A'=A+∆λ, where λ is any scalar field we wish to choose. Determine a suitable choice for λ which has the property that A' remains finite in the limit Λ->∞.
(Let ∆ be rotated 180 to be the gradient.)

Homework Equations

I found the curl of A=(µₒI/2π) ln (2Λ/s) k̂ to find the magnetic field, and I got:
A*= -(µₒI/2πs)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, here is what I did:
I figured that I had to find a value of λ that gave way to a A' that when you took the curl of it would yield A*. At first, I just tried to find a value of λ that was involving ln (...)k̂,
but then I saw that A' would then depend (s), and it would be tricky to find a value. Then I saw the hint that it was better if λ didn't depend on (s).

So, if I just want A, can I just choose a random constant for λ? Like 4 or something?

Please Help!

For the derivative in the curl of A, remember the chain rule (derivative of the outside times the derivative of the inside).

As for the star question, since z goes to infinite perhaps you could view this in terms of an angle instead of a distance.

1. What is the E/M vector potential of a finite wire?

The E/M vector potential of a finite wire is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field surrounding a wire with finite length. It takes into account both the electric and magnetic components of the field.

2. How is the E/M vector potential of a finite wire calculated?

The E/M vector potential of a finite wire is calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field to the current distribution in the wire. This calculation requires knowledge of the wire's dimensions, current, and position in space.

3. What is the significance of the E/M vector potential of a finite wire?

The E/M vector potential of a finite wire is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields near the wire. It can also be used to calculate the force and energy associated with the field, which has practical applications in areas such as electrical engineering and telecommunications.

4. Can the E/M vector potential of a finite wire be measured?

While the E/M vector potential itself cannot be directly measured, its effects can be observed through experiments and calculations. For example, the force exerted on a charged particle by the electromagnetic field can be measured, and this force is related to the E/M vector potential.

5. What are some limitations of the E/M vector potential of a finite wire?

One limitation of the E/M vector potential of a finite wire is that it assumes the wire is infinitely thin and has a uniform current distribution. In reality, wires have finite thickness and the current may not be evenly distributed, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, the E/M vector potential does not take into account the effects of other objects or materials in the surrounding space.