Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth as seen Mars

1. Dec 31, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2005 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if it might look bluer to the naked eye. When I wear red-tint sunglasses, my eyes adjust and I can distinguish blues and other colors. But a photograph taken through my red sunglasses always keeps its red tint.

I hope I get to find out some day :)

4. Jan 1, 2006 #3

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have hoped you could see the Moon too - perhaps it is in alignment with Earth - Mars?

Garth

5. Jan 11, 2006 #4
    You could see the Moon from Mars with the naked eye; however, it would be several times fainter, and would not show up in the short exposure that Spirit took.

6. Jan 11, 2006 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That makes sense. And upon further review I think I can see the Moon in that picture. Look off to the 1 o'clock position for a much fainter streak that is parallel to the one made by Earth. The fact that no other stars are visible in the image implies that fainter objects are indeed squelched from the photo like you suggest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?