Earth Resistivity Test on concrete base

• Thread starter Forum Researcher
  • Start date
Forum Researcher
TL;DR Summary
I am planning to conduct an Earth Resistivity Test on my property. The issue is that my building's basement is entirely covered with concrete and pavement, and we intended to use the Fall-of-Potential test method since there are no other equipment options available for rent in my location. However, I am unable to place the probes wherever I need to take the readings.
Hi, I am planning to conduct an Earth Resistivity Test on my property. The issue is that my building's basement is entirely covered with concrete and pavement, and we intended to use the Fall-of-Potential test method since there are no other equipment options available for rent in my location. However, I am unable to place the probes wherever I need to take the readings. Therefore, I have a few questions:

• Is it possible to use the other earthing rod/pit as one of the probes?
  • Does the length of the probe matter? If yes, what changes may require in calculation of resistivity?
  • Is there an alternative method to perform the test without expensive equipment?
  • What are the best practices for situations like these?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Why do you want to measure earth resistivity?

Likes Forum Researcher
Normal method is to use two spikes and a multifunction tester:
IMG_1159.jpeg

However, if there’s concrete in the way, the best way is to measure the external loop impedance (Ze) live using the same device. That is, the loop from transformer line, through the tester, through the earth/ground path, and back to the transformer. The tester is connected between line and ONLY the earthing rod, not to the earth bar as this will introduce parallel paths via water/gas pipes etc.

I would ask, gently, that if you don’t know this, or haven’t got the test gear, should you be commissioning a supply?

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
Why do you want to measure earth resistivity?
I am required to submit the earth resistivity test reports as part of the local authority's annual audit; if I don't, I will be fined.
Setting audit aside, I need to inspect the ground points in order to verify the safety of the expensive equipment as well.

The L distance in the diagram above is typically 30-50m. Wouldn’t that take you outside the building to some soil where you can push in the test stakes?

What is an Earth Resistivity Test on a concrete base?

An Earth Resistivity Test on a concrete base is a method used to measure the electrical resistance of the concrete and the soil beneath it. This test helps in assessing the suitability of the ground for electrical grounding systems and the integrity of the concrete structure, especially in terms of its ability to conduct electricity and dissipate electrical charges.

Why is Earth Resistivity Testing important for concrete structures?

Earth Resistivity Testing is crucial for concrete structures to ensure proper grounding and electrical safety. It helps in designing effective grounding systems, which are essential for protecting buildings from electrical faults, lightning strikes, and ensuring the safety of the occupants. Additionally, it can also provide insights into the moisture content and corrosion potential of the concrete, which are important factors for the longevity and durability of the structure.

How is Earth Resistivity Testing conducted on a concrete base?

Earth Resistivity Testing on a concrete base typically involves placing electrodes at specific locations on or around the concrete structure. A known current is then passed between two of the electrodes, and the potential difference is measured between another pair of electrodes. The resistivity is calculated based on these measurements and the geometric factor of the electrode configuration. Common methods include the Wenner four-pin method and the Schlumberger array.

What factors can affect the results of an Earth Resistivity Test on concrete?

Several factors can influence the results of an Earth Resistivity Test on concrete, including the moisture content of the concrete, the presence of reinforcing materials, the temperature, and the chemical composition of the concrete and soil. Additionally, the arrangement and spacing of the electrodes can also affect the accuracy of the measurements. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure reliable results.

How often should Earth Resistivity Testing be performed on concrete bases?

The frequency of Earth Resistivity Testing on concrete bases can vary depending on the specific requirements of a project and the environmental conditions. For critical structures, such as power plants or telecommunications facilities, testing might be performed more frequently to monitor changes in grounding effectiveness. Generally, it is recommended to conduct these tests at the construction stage and periodically thereafter, especially if changes in soil moisture or structure usage are expected.