Calculating Earth Well Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a mathematical formula for calculating the resistance of an Earth well, which involves placing a copper plate in a well filled with conductive concrete and soil. The resistance of an Earth well depends on several factors such as the depth of the well, the size of the plate, and the resistivity of the soil and concrete. The speaker is struggling to find a formula and is asking for help or any relevant codes that could provide guidance. The conversation also mentions the challenges in calculating the resistance due to the irregular shape of ground grids and the varying resistivity of soil at different depths.
rohollah200
HI ALL

I am bored!

I am searching about Earth well resistance calculation for 2 weeks and I can't find anything!

when I speak about Earth Well , my mean is one Well about 4 to 6 meters that we put a copper plate in it.one stranded copper wire connects to plate and the other End of wire come out from well entrance.then we fill the well with conductive concrete and soil.

NOW, I need a mathematical formula to calculate the resistance of well,that depends on the depth of well,the size of plate, the resistivity of soil and conductive concrete , ...

can anyone help me? pleasezz

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would normally measure Earth resistance since it can vary with conditions (for instance you didn't mention the water table). It will also depend upon the anticipated fault current, so is measured under specific conditions in national codes.

If you want an estimate use the national codes for your area.

dear Studiot
thank you for your attention

as you mentioned,the resistance of earh well depends on some variable parameter.
but if we Know resistivity of soil(ρ) ,we can calculate the resistance of some Earth electrode,such as copper Rod .
NOW, I can't find any formula in any code that present a formula for Earth well.
can you introduce me related code?
did you see any formula for Earth well ?

thank a million

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there,

I understand that you have been struggling to find information on calculating Earth well resistance. This can be a complex topic and requires a thorough understanding of electrical engineering principles.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the term "Earth Well" is not a commonly used term in the scientific community. It seems to refer to a type of grounding system where a copper plate is buried in the ground. In this case, the resistance of the well would depend on several factors such as the depth of the well, the size and material of the plate, and the resistivity of the surrounding soil and conductive concrete.

To calculate the resistance of the Earth well, you would need to use Ohm's law which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. In this case, the voltage would be the potential difference between the plate and the ground, and the current would be the flow of electrons through the well.

However, this calculation can become more complex when taking into account the varying resistivity of the soil and conductive concrete at different depths, as well as the shape and size of the plate. It would require a detailed analysis and possibly the use of computer simulations.

I would recommend consulting with an expert in the field of electrical engineering or geophysics for more accurate and specific information on calculating Earth well resistance. I hope this helps.

Related to Calculating Earth Well Resistance

1. How do you calculate Earth Well Resistance?

To calculate Earth Well Resistance, you need to use Ohm's Law which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). So, the formula for calculating Earth Well Resistance is R = V/I.

2. What is the purpose of calculating Earth Well Resistance?

The purpose of calculating Earth Well Resistance is to determine the resistance of the earth around a well, which is important in understanding the effectiveness of grounding and the safety of electrical systems.

3. What factors affect Earth Well Resistance?

The factors that affect Earth Well Resistance include the type of soil, moisture content, temperature, depth of the well, and the presence of any nearby structures or conductive materials.

4. How can you measure Earth Well Resistance?

Earth Well Resistance can be measured using a specialized instrument called an earth resistance tester or ground resistance tester. This instrument sends a small amount of current through the earth and measures the resulting voltage to calculate the resistance.

5. What is a typical value for Earth Well Resistance?

The typical value for Earth Well Resistance can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned earlier. However, a general rule of thumb is that a resistance below 25 ohms is considered good, while anything above 100 ohms may be cause for concern and may require further investigation.