Earths albedo controlled by cosmic rays

In summary: For Svensmark, I never heard of him before. I think that in general, the impact of cosmic rays on climate is a rather difficult topic to study. It is hard to get exact data on cosmic rays, and even if you have a lot of data, it is even harder to know what the impact is, and how it impacts the climate. In any case, I'll have to read his theories before I can comment on it.In summary, Henrik Svensmark's theory states that high solar activity leads to a strong magnetic field from the sun, which in turn decreases the amount of cosmic rays entering Earth's atmosphere. This reduction in cosmic rays results in less low altitude cloud formation, which affects Earth's albedo and
henxan
The Danish scientist Henrik Svensmark has been scorn for several years now because of his alternative explanation of how Earth's temperature varies. His theory states this:

High solar activity is a sign of a strong magnetic field from the sun
->
Strong magnetic field from the sun will decrease the amount of cosmic rays/particles which enters Earth's atmosphere
->
As these particles are "grains" for condensation of low clouds, a reduction of the incoming particles will result in less low altitude cloud formation (Low clouds are an important factor in reflecting suns incoming energy to earth, that is, increasing Earth's albedo.)
->
Earths temperature rise

This was the short explanation. The complete text is called "Cosmoclimatology: a new theory emerges" [A&G February 2007 - Vol.48].

At the moment it seems like the IPCC has managed to quiet down any alternative explanations to CO2 driven Global Warming.

There must be a people scattered throughout the world who are members on this forum, a lot of them also attending universities/colleges. So what I was wondering about is:
Is there a general acceptance for CO2 as the cause for GW?
Are Henrik Svensmarks theories well known?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Cosmic rays don't seed low clouds, they can be seeded by smoke and pollution particles but not by muons - I call quackery!

There is pretty much acceptance that greenhouse gases (CO2 is the most common but not necessarily the greatest overall effect) cause global warming.

mgb_phys said:
Cosmic rays don't seed low clouds, they can be seeded by smoke and pollution particles but not by muons - I call quackery!

There is pretty much acceptance that greenhouse gases (CO2 is the most common but not necessarily the greatest overall effect) cause global warming.

Hmm.. Have you even read any of svensmarks papers?

The cosmic rays referred to are mainly protons (90%) and alfa particles (9%), in energy ranges from 0.01GeV and 15GeV. The theory is based on these rays ionizing and "catalyzing" the formation of condensation cores {"Variation of cosmic ray flux and global cloud formation - a missing link in solar-climate relationship" [Henrik Svensmark and Egil Friis-Christensen "Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics Vol.59, 1997]}.

What are your countrary sources? And, did you even read my questions?

I'm sorry that was rude.

A post by a PF member with a low post count
Suggesting that GW doesn't happen
Mentioning a scientist no-one had heard about
With a newly coined term for a new theory
With only a partial reference to a paper ( what is A&G ?)
Alleging a conspiracy by a goverment/internal body to cover it up

Tends to trip the crank detector !

mgb_phys said:
I'm sorry that was rude.

Tends to trip the crank detector !

Apology accepted!

I have not, neither has Henrik Svensmark, stated that there is no global warming. The clue is: "what is the source of the global warming" or "what controls the temperature on earth."

I have not alleged there is a conspiracy, people tend to do non-logical things without any conspiracy involved.

I would appreciate that people read "cosmoclimatology: a new theory emerges" first:
http://www.spacecenter.dk/research/...lications/svensmark_2007cosmoClimatology.pdf"

The theory is not new, it was speculated there was a connection in the late in 1980ties. The first papers materializing the theory were published in the late 1990ties.

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:

Oh, I forgot. A&G: Astronomy and Geophysics

Strong magnetic field from the sun will decrease the amount of cosmic rays/particles which enters Earth's atmosphere

...What particles? Aren't cosmic rays almost entirely electromagnetic energy, which doesn't seed clouds? Have I missed something from astrophysics?

No cosmic rays are mostly muons or the decay products of more energetic particles.
Particles can seed clouds (as in a cloud chamber) how much effect they have on an entire planets atmosphere is debatable.

mgb_phys said:
BACK THE TRUCK UP HERE

Earth in physicsforums has a lot of this type of stuff. Svensmark has been discussed in many threads here.

...What particles? Aren't cosmic rays almost entirely electromagnetic energy, which doesn't seed clouds? Have I missed something from astrophysics?
Cosmic rays are energetic particles flying around in space
Wikipedia
Cosmic rays are energetic particles originating from space that impinge on Earth's atmosphere. Almost 90% of all the incoming cosmic ray particles are protons, about 9% are helium nuclei (alpha particles) and about 1% are electrons (beta minus particles). The term "ray" is a misnomer, as cosmic particles arrive individually, not in the form of a ray or beam of particles.

for those that haven't seen it. It's in 6 parts. Was a TV documentary. I find it very disappointing it took him 16 months to get his work published. It's all politics. CERN has an experiment upcoming.

You will have to copy and paste as I can't post url's.

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=gkgEUN_TyoA

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=mWVhYbMvXBU

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=q3uB3vJIq4I

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=QmkhGcfKTFw

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=AmrfWfAgKCs

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=MCRCoKQRbuk

henxan said:
So what I was wondering about is:
Is there a general acceptance for CO2 as the cause for GW?
Are Henrik Svensmarks theories well known?

When you browse through the threads here on the Earth forum, you will see a rather balanced approach, and different people have different stances on it. It is not the "anti-AGW bashing" that you might expect. I think people are somewhat divided on the subject (as any good frontier research must be !)

That said, we tend to ban everything which is conspiracy theory - but that doesn't preclude the knowledge that no-AGW proponents have right now more difficulties getting heard than pro-AGW proponents which are on the "politically-correct" wave. That said, it is not because they have a harder time getting published that that automatically means that they must be right :smile:

My personal view is that the IPCC "is on something" but oversells it. You cannot deny all of the science work that goes in it, but I think the scientific issues are still far from "settled and certain so that anyone doubting it is a crank", but it is nevertheless suggestive.

Other people here have other opinions. You'll find a whole spectrum.

Last edited:
Last edited:

1. What is Earth's albedo?

Earth's albedo refers to the measure of how much sunlight is reflected off of its surface. It is typically measured as a percentage, with 0% representing a completely black surface that absorbs all sunlight, and 100% representing a completely white surface that reflects all sunlight.

2. How is Earth's albedo controlled by cosmic rays?

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles that originate from outside of our solar system. When these particles collide with Earth's atmosphere, they can create a chain reaction that leads to the formation of tiny particles called aerosols. These aerosols can then act as seeds for cloud formation, which can increase Earth's albedo by reflecting more sunlight back into space.

3. What evidence supports the theory that cosmic rays control Earth's albedo?

Scientists have observed a correlation between solar activity (which affects the number of cosmic rays reaching Earth) and Earth's albedo. During periods of high solar activity, when there are fewer cosmic rays, Earth's albedo decreases. This is because there are fewer aerosols being formed, leading to less cloud cover and therefore a lower albedo.

4. Can other factors besides cosmic rays affect Earth's albedo?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence Earth's albedo. These include the amount of land and water on Earth's surface, the presence of vegetation, and the amount of cloud cover. Human activities, such as deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels, can also impact Earth's albedo.

5. How does Earth's albedo impact our planet?

Earth's albedo plays a crucial role in regulating its temperature and climate. A higher albedo means that more sunlight is reflected back into space, leading to cooler temperatures. On the other hand, a lower albedo can lead to warmer temperatures. Changes in Earth's albedo can also affect weather patterns, ocean currents, and the melting of polar ice caps.