Is Earth's Gravitational Field Zero at 900km Altitude?

In summary, the question is asking for a critical assessment of the statement that astronauts in a space capsule orbiting the Earth at a height of 900km experience weightlessness, indicating that the gravitational field due to the Earth must be zero at that altitude. The conversation suggests considering the acceleration and net force on the capsule and astronauts, as well as the concept of weightlessness and how it relates to gravitational force. The original poster is reminded not to post in multiple locations and the thread is closed.
samaank
? Earth's Gravitational Field

Hi, i have a physics question in my physics portfolio, it goes as follows

Critically assess the following statement: ‘Astronauts in a space capsule orbiting the Earth at a height of 900km experience weightlessness: hence the gravitational field due to the Earth must be zero at that altitude'. Include calculations in your answer.

Can someone please help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the calculation?

i don't know what to calculate

samaank said:
Hi, i have a physics question in my physics portfolio, it goes as follows

Critically assess the following statement: ‘Astronauts in a space capsule orbiting the Earth at a height of 900km experience weightlessness: hence the gravitational field due to the Earth must be zero at that altitude'. Include calculations in your answer.

Can someone please help ?

Think about this for a minute. If you are moving in a circular motion (which we will approximate the orbit to be), is there any acceleration on the capsule+astronauts system? If there is, there's a net force applied to that system. If there's no net force or acceleration, you'd have Newton's First Law. Is that what you have in this situation?

Once you figure that out, THEN you can start to try to explain why the astronauts experience weightlessness, which will lead to the conclusion that "weightlessness" does not mean zero gravitational force (example: astronauts training in the "vomit" plane).

Zz.

I just realized that you posted this in more than one location. Please do not do that! Spend some time reading our Guidelines before posting.

This thread is closed.

Zz.

What is Earth's gravitational field?

Earth's gravitational field is the force of attraction that exists between the Earth and objects on or near its surface. It is responsible for keeping objects on the surface and maintaining the structure of the Earth's orbit around the sun.

How is Earth's gravitational field measured?

Earth's gravitational field is measured using a unit called the gravitational constant (G). This constant represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects and is used to calculate the force experienced by an object due to Earth's gravity.

What factors affect the strength of Earth's gravitational field?

The strength of Earth's gravitational field is affected by two main factors: the mass of the Earth and the distance between an object and the Earth's center. The greater the mass of the Earth, the stronger its gravitational field. Similarly, the closer an object is to the Earth's center, the stronger the gravitational force it experiences.

Can Earth's gravitational field change over time?

Yes, Earth's gravitational field can change over time due to a number of factors, including changes in the Earth's mass distribution, the movement of tectonic plates, and the effects of other bodies in the solar system. However, these changes are usually very small and have a minimal impact on everyday life.

How does Earth's gravitational field compare to other planets?

Earth's gravitational field is relatively strong compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, Mars has a weaker gravitational field due to its smaller mass, while Jupiter has a much stronger gravitational field due to its larger mass.