1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earths potential?

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    Earths potential???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the problem reads as folloed
    Energy prospectors from a distant planet are inspecting the earth to decide if its electrical energy resources are worth stealing. Measurements reveal that earth's electric field extends upward for 800 m and has an average magnitude of 190 V/m. Estimate the electrical energy stored in the atmosphere.

our TA gave us a hint and said
    You may treat the atmosphere as a flat slab with an area equal to the surface area of the earth.

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried to derive an equation. i keep getting the wrong answer so please check my math and see if im doing it wrong or just some calculation error.

i started with
    U=1/2 Eo * E^2 Eo is 8.85e^-12
    then i went to
    U=EV substitued V=4/3pir^3 so got
    U=E4/3pi*r^3
    this is where i got stuck. i asked my TA and he said i was doing good so far.
    i played around with some stuff and got my U (potential) as follows
    U=E4pi*r^2*d
    but i get the wrong answer. any help would be great ;)
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Earths potential???

You're using the wrong volume, it's not a solid sphere.

What is the surface area of the Earth?
    What is the volume of a slab that has that area, and the thickness given in the problem statement?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook