Earth's Rotation and Effect on Launch Altitude

In summary, Newton's laws govern how a vehicle moves due to the rotation of the Earth. By targeting an orbit that takes advantage of this initial velocity, less energy is needed to reach the same orbit. Additionally, launching from altitude reduces the change in potential energy.
ColdFusion85
I know that as a rocket is launched closer to the equator it gets more of a "boost" in velocity due to the Earth's rotation, but I was wondering if anyone could explain the mechanism (e.g. the mathematics) behind this. I can visualize it but I don't see how the extra velocity gets added mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
And no, this isn't a homework question. Just curious.

As with any sphere, the Earth rotates at rate (rpm) which dictates how fast any particular spot upon it moves. A point just beside the north pole might move only a metre or two per second. When you extend that to a spot on the equator, you can see that it has to go over a far greater distance in order to cover the same degrees of arc that the polar spot does.

At the equator, the Earth rotates to the east just over 465.11m/s = 1674.4kph = 1040.4 mph. So launching from the equator, using a floating platform, such as Sea Launch, means rockets don't require as much energy (fuel) in order to achieve orbits. Once out of the atmoshpere, for the rocket it doesn't matter that the Earth is rotating below it.

All of the responses to date assume an target orbit with inclination equal to the launch site's geocentric latitude. It does indeed require less energy to achieve prograde equatorial orbit from an equatorial launch site than a 29 degree orbit from Cape Canaveral launch. So why is this? The answer is in Newton's laws. The vehicle has a latitude-dependent initial velocity before firing the engines thanks to the Earth's rotation. Targeting an orbit that takes advantage of this initial velocity reduces the required delta-v needed to reach that orbit.

A plane change is needed if the target orbit inclination differs from launch site latitude. For example, achieving a retrograde polar orbit from an equatorial launch costs more than from a Vandenburg launch.

So why is this? The answer is in Newton's laws. The vehicle has a latitude-dependent initial velocity before firing the engines thanks to the Earth's rotation. Targeting an orbit that takes advantage of this initial velocity reduces the required delta-v needed to reach that orbit.

There is another factor that would help decrease fuel costs: Launching from altitude. Punching a hole through the atmosphere from sea level costs quite a bit. Adding altitude reduces this cost and reduces the change in potential energy. Launching from the top of Mount Kilamanjaro would cut fuel costs a lot. We don't do this for political and safety reasons.

I see. Since the final velocity required for a given orbit (e.g. a fixed height circular orbit of the Earth) is the same for all cases, and since we can calculate the velocity on the ground at a given latitude, we can determine the delta-V required to get the spacecraft into orbit, and therefore, we can see how the rotation of the Earth affects this needed delta-V at different geocentric latitudes. Is this correct?

I see. Since the final velocity required for a given orbit (e.g. a fixed height circular orbit of the Earth) is the same for all cases, and since we can calculate the velocity on the ground at a given latitude, we can determine the delta-V required to get the spacecraft into orbit, and therefore, we can see how the rotation of the Earth affects this needed delta-V at different geocentric latitudes. Is this correct?

D H said:
All of the responses to date assume an target orbit with inclination equal to the launch site's geocentric latitude. It does indeed require less energy to achieve prograde equatorial orbit from an equatorial launch site than a 29 degree orbit from Cape Canaveral launch. So why is this? The answer is in Newton's laws. The vehicle has a latitude-dependent initial velocity before firing the engines thanks to the Earth's rotation. Targeting an orbit that takes advantage of this initial velocity reduces the required delta-v needed to reach that orbit.

A plane change is needed if the target orbit inclination differs from launch site latitude. For example, achieving a retrograde polar orbit from an equatorial launch costs more than from a Vandenburg launch.

So why is this? The answer is in Newton's laws. The vehicle has a latitude-dependent initial velocity before firing the engines thanks to the Earth's rotation. Targeting an orbit that takes advantage of this initial velocity reduces the required delta-v needed to reach that orbit.

There is another factor that would help decrease fuel costs: Launching from altitude. Punching a hole through the atmosphere from sea level costs quite a bit. Adding altitude reduces this cost and reduces the change in potential energy. Launching from the top of Mount Kilamanjaro would cut fuel costs a lot. We don't do this for political and safety reasons.

Greetings: I wonder whether you have seen any actual launch data (from NASA or anybody else) to confirm / quantify the theoretical launch boost due to Earth's eastward rotation. I have written and e-mailed NASA, JPL, Goddard--everyone I could think of--and have never received a reply. So I am wondering whether the scientific proof of this theoretical boost is factual-- as opposed to "it is accepted scientific fact", "it is common knowledge", "everybody knows", "obviously", or some such time-honored phrase.

Last edited:
cngiff said:
Greetings: I wonder whether you have seen any actual launch data (from NASA or anybody else) to confirm / quantify the theoretical launch boost due to Earth's eastward rotation. I have written and e-mailed NASA, JPL, Goddard--everyone I could think of--and have never received a reply. So I am wondering whether the scientific proof of this theoretical boost is factual-- as opposed to "it is accepted scientific fact", "it is common knowledge", "everybody knows", "obviously", or some such time-honored phrase.
Everyone once in a while I get a phone call from someone I know asking if I have seen their email message. If the email message isn't in my inbox I'll see if the spam filters were a bit over aggressive. Yep. There's the message, tucked in amongst all the typical "use this growth product" and "make millions" spam -- plus the "have you met an alien" and "physics is wrong" messages that plague people with NASA email addresses.

Your messages probably hit a spam filter. TBH, your post has the look-and-feel of a crackpot.

There is no reason to "confirm / quantify the theoretical launch boost due to Earth's eastward rotation" because there is absolutely no reason to do so: We know the Earth is rotating.

Suppose that by some fluke thousands of scientists spread over hundreds of years have missed the obvious: The Earth is not rotating. Were that the case, our rockets would not get where we thought they would based on the erroneous assumption that the Earth is rotating. Our rockets, however, do get where we think they will, falisifying the conjecture that the Earth is not rotating.

TBH, your "reply" has the look and feel of a second-rate mind. If you don't understand my inquiry--and the scientific merit of giving it serious consideration, then you should tear up your diplomas and put on a dunce cap and go sit in the corner. Why are the majority of Physicists so brain dead?

cngiff

cngiff,

What exactly is your inquiry? That the Earth is not rotating? That the Earth is rotating but that this "theoretical launch boost" doesn't occur? Or is it something else? If it one of the first two, you are wrong. If it's something else, please clarify.

1. How does Earth's rotation affect the launch altitude of a rocket?

Earth's rotation has a significant impact on the launch altitude of a rocket. Due to the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the surface of the Earth is moving at a high speed of approximately 1670 kilometers per hour at the equator. This means that a rocket launched from the equator will already have this speed, known as the rotational velocity, and will require less fuel to reach the desired altitude compared to a launch from other latitudes.

2. Can Earth's rotation be used to increase the speed of a rocket during launch?

Yes, Earth's rotation can be utilized to increase the speed of a rocket during launch. Rockets launched from the east, in the direction of Earth's rotation, will receive an additional boost of speed due to the rotational velocity of the Earth. This can help the rocket to reach its desired altitude and orbit more efficiently and with less fuel consumption.

3. How does the Coriolis effect impact rocket launches?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of moving objects on the surface of the Earth due to its rotation. This effect can have a small but noticeable impact on rocket launches, causing the trajectory of the rocket to curve slightly to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere. However, this effect is taken into consideration when planning and executing rocket launches and does not have a significant impact on the overall success of the launch.

4. Can Earth's rotation affect the location of a rocket's landing?

Yes, Earth's rotation can affect the location of a rocket's landing. As the Earth rotates, the launch site will move away from the initial position, causing the rocket to land slightly downrange from the launch site. This effect is more noticeable for rockets launched from the equator compared to those launched from higher latitudes.

5. How does the rotation of the Earth impact the length of a day?

The rotation of the Earth on its axis is what determines the length of a day. The Earth rotates at a consistent speed, completing one full rotation in approximately 24 hours. This rotation is what creates the cycle of day and night on Earth, with each rotation marking the end of one day and the beginning of the next. Therefore, the Earth's rotation directly impacts the length of a day on our planet.