1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easier riding a bike

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    what wind has more force the wind of you standing on top of a car doing 200mph or you standing still and a 200mph wind hitting you?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    In both cases, the wind feels the same on your skin, so it is hitting you with the same force.

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    i want to add to my question to get further answers. the question started when my friend said he has been in 100mph winds. being he exaggerates often i said you probably haven't been in 100mph. He said yes I have, i drove 100mph on my motorcycle.

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4
    Ah, yes, the feeling of 100mph wind on your face is indeed the same wether you're riding your hog in sunny weather, or holding on for dear life in a storm.

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

10 chars

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6
    Huh? Windscreen? No, I was talking about only the feeling on your face. The rest of the body, windscreen or no, is irrelevant. In any cast, problem solved, so let's lock it up. :smile:

8. Sep 14, 2008 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I wear a full face helmet, (also ear plugs to reduce wind noise), when I ride a motorcycle. Considering head height is almost as high as a SUV, speeds on a motorcycle appear to be lower than in a car. 100mph or faster wouldn't be too fun if your face was exposed.

9. Sep 15, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, the point is that the air in the envelope of a moving motorcycle, even where your face is, is possibly significantly less than 100mph relative to you.

A 100mph wind OTOH, would be truly 100mph.

10. Sep 15, 2008 #9
    True, but this is negligible and I don't think it's the question being addressed.

11. Sep 15, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't think it is negligible, and I do think it's the question being addressed, as per post #3, in which the OP explains the circumstances under which the question has been raised.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?