Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easier riding a bike

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    what wind has more force the wind of you standing on top of a car doing 200mph or you standing still and a 200mph wind hitting you?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    In both cases, the wind feels the same on your skin, so it is hitting you with the same force.

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    i want to add to my question to get further answers. the question started when my friend said he has been in 100mph winds. being he exaggerates often i said you probably haven't been in 100mph. He said yes I have, i drove 100mph on my motorcycle.

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4
    Ah, yes, the feeling of 100mph wind on your face is indeed the same wether you're riding your hog in sunny weather, or holding on for dear life in a storm.

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

10 chars

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6
    Huh? Windscreen? No, I was talking about only the feeling on your face. The rest of the body, windscreen or no, is irrelevant. In any cast, problem solved, so let's lock it up. :smile:

8. Sep 14, 2008 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I wear a full face helmet, (also ear plugs to reduce wind noise), when I ride a motorcycle. Considering head height is almost as high as a SUV, speeds on a motorcycle appear to be lower than in a car. 100mph or faster wouldn't be too fun if your face was exposed.

9. Sep 15, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, the point is that the air in the envelope of a moving motorcycle, even where your face is, is possibly significantly less than 100mph relative to you.

A 100mph wind OTOH, would be truly 100mph.

10. Sep 15, 2008 #9
    True, but this is negligible and I don't think it's the question being addressed.

11. Sep 15, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't think it is negligible, and I do think it's the question being addressed, as per post #3, in which the OP explains the circumstances under which the question has been raised.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?