Easily measurable non-linear physical relationships.

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a non-linear experiment idea, with suggestions including measuring the splash radius of a water balloon, the eruption of a soda bottle with Mentos, the fuel consumption of a vehicle, and the spin of a ball in a fluid. The conversation also mentioned the potential for exploring the relationship between tension, density, and pitch in a vibrating string experiment. The topic of measuring high tension accurately with limited tools was also brought up.
Vindicta
I've been trying to think of a really good experiment in which the data gathered would be non-linear. The only ideas I've managed to come up with were either way to simple and boring, or way to hard for me to set up and measure accurately. Some examples of experiments include splash radius of a water balloon vs. height of the drop, number of Mentos in pop vs. height of eruption, consumption of fuel vs. velocity of vehicle, and degree of curve/deviation vs. magnitude of spin on a ball in a fluid. These are just some of my ideas. The first two being rather simple, and the latter two being a bit too difficult.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you have a cool experiment idea for me. Even if someone could list some non-linear physical relationships that might inspire me to design an experiment around it, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The pitch of a violin string is proportional to the square root of the tension ans inversely proportional to the square root of the density, so you could investigate vibrating strings.

[tex]pitch(f) \propto \frac{1}{l}\sqrt {\frac{T}{\rho }} [/tex]

That's a great idea! Something I could definitely attempt. Any suggestions on how I could measure the high amount of tension accurately with limited tools? I was thinking just a Newton spring scale, but I have a feeling a violin string would max the scale out.

1. What is a non-linear physical relationship?

A non-linear physical relationship is a type of relationship between two or more variables where the change in one variable does not result in a constant change in the other variable. In other words, the relationship is not a straight line and cannot be described by a linear equation.

2. How are non-linear physical relationships measured?

Non-linear physical relationships are measured using various methods such as experiments, observations, and mathematical modeling. The specific method used depends on the type of relationship and the variables involved.

3. What are some examples of easily measurable non-linear physical relationships?

Some examples of easily measurable non-linear physical relationships include the relationship between temperature and pressure in a gas, the relationship between force and acceleration in motion, and the relationship between concentration and reaction rate in a chemical reaction.

4. How do non-linear physical relationships differ from linear relationships?

Non-linear physical relationships differ from linear relationships in that the change in one variable does not result in a constant change in the other variable. In linear relationships, the relationship can be described by a straight line and the change in one variable results in a constant change in the other variable.

5. Why are non-linear physical relationships important in science?

Non-linear physical relationships are important in science because they allow us to understand and predict complex systems and phenomena. Many natural and physical processes exhibit non-linear relationships, and understanding these relationships can help us make accurate predictions and develop more advanced technologies.