What is the value of x in the equation .4 = [20%]/[x]?

• Thread starter Tarnix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
So you're right, that's a solution. But I think the idea was to get a more general form. So you should multiply by 5 and divide by 2 to get x=\frac{5}{2}, which is the general solution.In summary, the conversation discussed how to solve the equation .4 = [20%]/[x] by converting decimals to fractions and substituting them into the equation. The final solution was found to be x = 1/2 or x = 5/2.
Tarnix

Homework Statement

.4 = [20%]/[x]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I tried...but I know this isn't right as I need an actual value for x.

.4 = (.2)(x^-1)
.4 / .2 = x^-1
2 = x^-1
2 = 1 / x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost done. multiply both sides by x, then divide by 2.

2(x) = (1/x)(x)
2x = 1
x = 1/2

Is that right?

aye.

[tex].4=\frac{.2}{x}[/tex]

Converting decimals to fractions ...

[tex].4=\frac{4}{10}=\frac 2 5[/tex]

[tex].2=\frac{2}{10}=\frac 1 5[/tex]

Substituting ...

[tex]\frac 2 5 = \frac{1}{5x}[/tex]

I don't think that is correct. If I solved Roco's equation I would get:
2/5 = 1/5x
(2/5) / (1/5) = x
2 = x

When really the solution is .5

I think you mean by substituting fractions would be...
2/5 = (1/5) / x

But thank you for trying to help :D I just don't want someone else to get confused if they look at this later.

Tarnix said:
I don't think that is correct. If I solved Roco's equation I would get:
2/5 = 1/5x
(2/5) / (1/5) = x
No you wouldn't, you'd get [tex]\frac{2/5}{1/5}=\frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

1. What is an easy algebra problem?

An easy algebra problem is a mathematical equation that involves variables, numbers, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These problems typically have one variable and can be solved using basic algebraic principles.

2. How do I solve an easy algebra problem?

To solve an easy algebra problem, you first need to identify the variable and the given information. Then, use the appropriate algebraic operations to isolate the variable and solve for its value. Remember to follow the order of operations and check your answer to ensure it is correct.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving easy algebra problems?

Some common mistakes when solving easy algebra problems include forgetting the order of operations, making calculation errors, or misinterpreting the given information. It is crucial to double-check your work and make sure all steps are correct to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an easy algebra problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an easy algebra problem. However, it is essential to understand the basic principles of algebra and not rely solely on the calculator. Using a calculator can help you check your work or save time on complex calculations.

5. Why is it essential to learn how to solve easy algebra problems?

Learning how to solve easy algebra problems is essential because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills are beneficial not only in math but also in many other areas of life. Additionally, algebra is the foundation of more advanced math concepts, making it crucial to master before moving on to more complex topics.