Easy and quick Special Relativity before my exam

In summary, understanding when to use simple time dilation and when to use the full Lorentz transformation depends on whether there is a single moving clock or multiple clocks involved in measuring the event.
mewmew
Well I am having my exam tomorrow over special and very basic general relativity. I have one area I am still a bit fuzzy on now that I look back at our last exam. I am confused on when you can use just Lorenz time dilation/length contraction to when you need to use the full Lorenz transformation.

For example: In one problem we were given a spaceship leaves Earth to a star distance x away(in the Earth reference frame), the spaceship has a velocity of y with respect to the earth. How long does it take to get to to asteroid in the Earth reference frame? The ships? This you can use simple time dilation.

Our next problem was: Frame S' has a speed of x relative to S, clocks are adjusted so that t'=t=0. A photon is emitted in S at x=0 and absorbed at x=50 m, what time does this event occur in S'? This you need to use the full Lorentz transformation.

I am sure it is pretty simple to understand when and why you can use one or the other but I am a bit confused. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple time dilation describes the behavior of a single moving clock. That applies perfectly to your first example (the spaceship's clock is that single moving clock), but not to the second. In the second example, no single clock times the emission and absorption of that photon: multiple clocks in each frame are needed to measure the travel time. That requires the full Lorentz transformations.

Related to Easy and quick Special Relativity before my exam

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between time and space in the presence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant.

2. Why is it important to understand Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is important because it has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to the development of many technologies, such as GPS systems and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds and in the study of black holes and other extreme astronomical objects.

3. How is Special Relativity related to time dilation and length contraction?

Special Relativity predicts that as an object moves closer to the speed of light, time will appear to slow down for that object and its length will appear to contract in the direction of motion. This is known as time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

4. Can you give an example of how Special Relativity affects everyday life?

One example of how Special Relativity affects everyday life is through the use of GPS systems. These systems rely on Special Relativity to accurately calculate the position and time, as the satellites used for GPS are moving at high speeds relative to the Earth's surface. Without taking into account the effects of Special Relativity, the GPS calculations would be off by several kilometers.

5. How can I quickly understand Special Relativity before my exam?

In order to quickly understand Special Relativity before your exam, it is important to focus on the key concepts and equations. Make sure to review the postulates and understand how they lead to the equations for time dilation and length contraction. You can also practice solving problems and use online resources or study groups to clarify any confusing concepts.