Angular Physics: Calculate Arrow Height with Velocity & Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the height reached by an arrow shot at a 33◦ angle with a velocity of 55 m/s, taking into account the acceleration of gravity. The solution involves using the equation for displacement and considering only the vertical motion of the arrow. There is also a mention of using energy as an alternative solution. The final calculated height is 91.6 meters.
IBdoomed
We just started this unit and I'm lost...

An arrow is shot at 33◦ angle with the horizontal. It has a velocity of 55 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 ms^-2
How high will the arrow go?
Answer in units of m

I know that S= 1/2 at^2+ut
and all the rules of the basic trig functions (Sin, cos, tan) I just don't see how to incorporate it all into this question...

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw your diagram showing the arrow and its initial launch velocity. Since you are asked how high it can go this means you are only interested in the vertical motion so you can deal only with velocity, acceleration and displacement in the y direction. See if you can go from there. There are two pieces of implied information in this problem. First, gravity is acting on the arrow, second, what happens to the velocity in the y direction when the arrow reaches the highest point?

(There is an alternative solution using energy if you happen to think of it but it's a bit tricky)

OH i think i got it now...
okay so i used 55*sin(33) to find the y component of the velocity. then used the equation v^2= u^2+2as
v= 0
u= 55 m/s
a= -9.8 m/s^2
and using this got a height of 154.34 meters.

Can you tell me if this is correct?

scratch that. i caught my own mistake. i meant to plug in 29.96 m/s for u. and the answer i get is 91.6 meteres!

you're doing it right - just double check your math. It's probably right - I don't have a calculator and am too brain dead to estimate right now.

thanks! i got it right :D

1. How do you calculate the height of an arrow using velocity and gravity in angular physics?

In order to calculate the height of an arrow using velocity and gravity, you can use the formula: h = v2 * sin2θ / 2g, where h is the height of the arrow, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can you explain the concept of angular physics and how it relates to calculating arrow height?

Angular physics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a circular or curved path. When calculating the height of an arrow, we are looking at the vertical component of the arrow's motion, which is affected by the angle of release and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the role of velocity in calculating arrow height in angular physics?

Velocity plays a crucial role in calculating arrow height in angular physics. The initial velocity of the arrow determines how fast it will travel and the vertical component of this velocity will determine the height the arrow reaches. A higher initial velocity will result in a higher arrow height.

4. How does the angle of release affect the height of an arrow in angular physics?

The angle of release directly affects the height of an arrow in angular physics. The vertical component of the arrow's initial velocity is determined by this angle, and a lower angle will result in a lower arrow height. This is because the arrow will have a larger horizontal component, causing it to travel further before reaching its peak height.

5. How does gravity impact the calculation of arrow height in angular physics?

Gravity is a vital factor in calculating arrow height in angular physics. The acceleration due to gravity is constantly pulling the arrow downwards, causing it to decrease in height over time. This force must be taken into account when using the formula to calculate the arrow's height.