Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe for the Iron Chef at Home

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home Iron
In summary: Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover & simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add rum, green onions, cheese, & sour cream to soup & heat through. Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK, iron chefs...I bought about 20 cans of black beans on sale. Is there any easy way to make black bean soup out of some of them? I thought maybe I could cook some diced onions in chicken stock and puree with the beans..?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always fry them with onions into a black bean paste, that goes really well with jasmine rice.

Black beans are my favorite bean :biggrin: , so much flavor, all the other ones aren't as good :grumpy:.

motai said:
You could always fry them with onions into a black bean paste, that goes really well with jasmine rice.

Black beans are my favorite bean :biggrin: , so much flavor, all the other ones aren't as good :grumpy:.

I agree...they go good with sour cream too... :smile:

Last edited:
Here are a couple I found with pre-cooked beans.

Ingredients:
1 slice bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 1/2 cups black beans, cooked and drained
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Fry bacon over medium heat in small heavy in small heavy frying pan; crumble bacon and set aside. Heat bacon drippings over medium heat; saute onion and celery until tender, stirring occasionally. Puree beans in blender or food processor fitted with steel blade stir into vegetables.

Mix in crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally until soup is hot. Soup will thicken as it stands and can be thinned with additional water. Serve hot.

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/278/Black_Bean_Soup1148.shtml

Ingredients:
10 sun-dried tomatoes
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cup onions -- finely chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced or pressed
1 Jalapeno -- Chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 cup water
28 ounces Tomatoes, Canned -- Undrained
32 ounces Black Beans, Canned -- Cooked In Liquid
1/4 cup cilantro -- chopped fresh
additional water or tomato juice
Sour Cream

Directions:

In a small bowl, cover the sun-dried tomatoes with the boiling water and set aside. In a soup pot, saute' the onions, garlic, and chile or cayenne in the oil for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent. Add the cumin, 1/3 cup water, and the juice from the tomatoes.

Break up the tomatoes by squeezing them into the soup pot, or chop them coarsely right in the can and add them to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. lower the heat and simmer; covered, for 5 minutes.

Add the black beans and their liquid, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Drain and chop the softened sun-dried tomatoes. Add them to the soup and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the onions are tender. Stir in the cilantro and remove the soup from the heat.

Puree half of the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot. If the soup is too thick, add some water or tomato juice. Reheat gently. Serve each bowl of soup with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/365/Black_Bean_Soup22259.shtml

mmm... thank you so much! these recipes sound wonderful. I do love beans and rice as well as black bean soup.

I think black bean soup is so great in the winter. Real comfort food. I like to put a dab of sour cream on top, too, Townsend. And sometimes it's good with a bit of salsa or cilantro stirred in.

You got a pressure cooker? I'm not a bean person, but I think beans are much faster to cook that way.

I love beans, I love soup. I think I will make this next weekend.

MIH, you could start the recipe at the point after the beans are cooked.

Brazilian Black Bean Soup

Make this soup as feisty as you like; it's easy to temper the heat by adjusting the amount of chiles. A topping of cheese or sour cream & a float of rum help soothe the fire of the brew. Serve as a first course or as a luncheon or light supper entree.

2 cups dried black beans
8 cups water
3/4 pound cooked ham -- diced
1 ham bone -- if desired
4 cloves garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons salt -- or to taste
1/2 cup onion -- diced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin -- or to taste
1 tablespoon New Mexico hot red chile -- crushed
1 lime -- juice of
1/4 cup dark rum
4 green onions -- finely chopped
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese -- shredded
sour cream -- for garnish
lime wedges -- if desired

Sort & rinse beans, then soak overnight in water to cover. (Or place in a large saucepan & add water to cover; bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover & let stand 1 hour. Simmer 1 1/2 hours, then proceed with recipe.)

MIH, you can start here.

Drain beans; place in a large saucepan & add 8 cups of cold water, ham, ham bone (if desired), garlic, salt, diced onions, chile & lime juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover & simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender & soup is thick. Taste & adjust seasonings. To serve, remove ham bone, if used. Lace soup with rum; spoon into bowls & top with green onions, cheese or sour cream & lime wedges if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Note: USE JAMAICAN RUM! It definitely adds that certain something to make this dish memorable!

From: "Hotter Than Hell" by Jane Butel Book Details at Amazon.Com

Hey, Eeeevoooo! Guess what's simmering on the stove in MIH's kitchen. I'll give you a hint - I'm juicing a lime right now.. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Hey, Eeeevoooo! Guess what's simmering on the stove in MIH's kitchen. I'll give you a hint - I'm juicing a lime right now.. :smile:
Heading to MIH's house! I'm bringing the beano! :biggrin:

juvenal said:
You got a pressure cooker? I'm not a bean person, but I think beans are much faster to cook that way.
I haven't tried a pressure cooker yet, but I used to make beans in a crock pot.

I'm just basically looking for ways to use up these cans of black beans I have. I got 'em for cheap, so I bought a bunch.

Evo said:
Heading to MIH's house! I'm bringing the beano! :biggrin:
oh, yeah - I forgot to buy Beano! :redface: Thanks! :biggrin:

I'll make us some drinks with the dark rum while we are waiting for the soup to finish. If I get any good at making this soup I'll try to learn to do fried plantains to go with it. Wouldn't that be yummy?

Oooh, and with enough rum, everything will taste good. :approve: With more rum, it won't matter if we forgot the beano. :tongue2: :bugeye:

Mmmmm, fried plantains with rum. :approve:

I found a good recipe on a can of Progresso black beans...very easy. I have to do it from memory now, so I hope I get it right (it shouldn't be too hard since it's a simple recipe). In a sauce pan, saute chopped onion and a clove of garlic in some olive oil until soft, add oregano, salt and pepper, and a can of black beans. Cook. Serve over rice. Very easy, and tasty.

Black beans and rice are also great in wraps...add some lettuce, tomato, grated cheese, sour cream, and some cooked chicken, wrap it all up in a tortilla, and you'll have a very filling meal.

Moonbear, that sounds awesome - thanks! Here have a Cuba Libra! (hope I spelled that right)
Evo, this soup is working out so great. I didn't know how it was going to go using canned beans but dang! - it looks and smells fabulous! oohweee! I did add a little bit of celery because I needed to use up the little bit I had left.

Thanks! Cheers!

Cuba libre - thanks! :approve:

Celery sounds good, it's refreshing in soup.

Moonbear, that sounds yummy too!

Hey, Tsu! Could you bring over some sour cream? I forgot it at the market.

You've got it! Save me a BIG bowl of soup.

I'll get some linguisa to BBQ and some SD french bread to go with it, too! Linguisa goes GREAT with black bean soup! Got a green apple martini for me? :biggrin:

Sure - we can fix you a green apple martini! (besides - the rum's getting low - I cook Julia Child style - a little rum for the soup - annnnd a little rum for the cook! :rofl:)

Dishing up the soup now.. oh, la la la.. I am drizzling it with rum, then stirring in the monterey jack cheese. Now I'll place a thin sliver of lime at the side. Now for a dollop of sour cream in each bowl, (thank you, Tsu :smile:). And thanks again to Evo for the wonderful recipe! Ooh, let's dig in!

Oooooo YUM! :biggrin:

1. What ingredients do I need to make Easy Black Bean Soup?

To make this delicious soup, you will need:

• 2 cans of black beans
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon of chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado

2. Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?

Yes, you can easily adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Simply add all of the ingredients (except for the toppings) to your slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours. You can also sauté the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper before adding them to the slow cooker for extra flavor.

3. What makes this soup a good choice for the Iron Chef at Home?

This Easy Black Bean Soup is not only delicious, but it is also packed with nutrients. Black beans are a great source of protein, fiber, and iron, making it a nutritious and filling option for any meal. Plus, the ingredients are simple and easy to find, making it a convenient choice for busy chefs.

4. How can I make this soup vegetarian or vegan?

This recipe can easily be made vegetarian or vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omitting the optional toppings. You can also add in some extra vegetables, such as carrots or zucchini, to bulk up the soup.

5. Can I freeze this soup for later?

Absolutely! This soup freezes well and is a great option for meal prep. Simply let the soup cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bags. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat it, thaw it in the fridge overnight and then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.