Easy integral for you?

• Thread starter kennis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the author of the link suggests that it is impossible to generate an anti derivative of f(x)=e^-x^2 through the use of elementary functions.
kennis
integral of e^(-x^2)dx?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing this can't be defined using elementary functions. Look up functions like Erf(x), Erfi(x), etc.

Usually done as a double integral with polar coordinates. I think its Fubini's Theorem.

whozum said:
Usually done as a double integral with polar coordinates. I think its Fubini's Theorem.

Here's a nice Wikipedia link to show you the double integral. It's a page on the Gaussian Integral, which is the same integral as yours, but a definite one. It converts

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

to polar coordinates to show how it is evaluated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't be done with elementary functions. Switching to polar coordinates only gives you definite integrals on the intervals from 0 to +/-infinity or from -infinity to infinty. To find the integral in practice one defines a function as that integral. You can find the taylor series for the function by integrating the taylor series of the integrand. This will give you as good an approximation of the function as you want.

If you want to find the definite integral, then yes, you use some neat tricks with polar co-ordinates and double integrals. He's just asked for the indefinite integral, and I don't believe that it's an elementary function.

Mathematical Proof

Does there exist a proof that says that it is impossible to produce a closed anti derivative of f(x)=e^-x^2? I would like to see it if it does exist. If it is impossible to generate an anti derivative through the use of elementary functions could some one please produce an anti derivative with non-elementary functions?

Watts said:
Does there exist a proof that says that it is impossible to produce a closed anti derivative of f(x)=e^-x^2? I would like to see it if it does exist.
I have not seen it myself, but I heard that it is quite long (a dozen pages, I heard)
Watts said:
If it is impossible to generate an anti derivative through the use of elementary functions could some one please produce an anti derivative with non-elementary functions?
Well, there's an answer to that question, but it's kind of disapointing. By definition:
[tex]erf(z) \equiv \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{z} e^{t^2}dt[/tex]
So then:
[tex]\int e^{x^2}dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}erf(z) +C[/tex]
Kind of disapointing because it just is basically defined as the answer to the question. But it is not so much different from other functions. It doesn't give exact answers, but niether do most functions. For example look at sin(x). It is defined by an integral, but in fact, in some books the real natural logarithm is defined by:
[tex]\ln{x} \equiv \int_{1}^{x}\frac{1}{t}dt[/tex]
The erf function could as well be defined by a taylor series as some other functions are, by integrating e^(x^2)'s Taylor series.

Watts said:
Does there exist a proof that says that it is impossible to produce a closed anti derivative of f(x)=e^-x^2? I would like to see it if it does exist.

Yes, it is impossible. This is important enough that it's in just about every treatment I've seen on "integration in finite terms" (<-buzzwords for google), so there will be many options, such as

http://www.claymath.org/programs/outreach/academy/LectureNotes05/Conrad.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration has many applications in science and engineering, including calculating displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics, finding the area and volume of shapes in geometry, and determining probabilities in statistics.

3. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. You can also use computer software or calculators to evaluate integrals numerically.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, which means it gives a single numerical value as the result. On the other hand, an indefinite integral has no limits and represents a family of functions that differ only by a constant value.

5. Can integrals be solved by hand?

Yes, integrals can be solved by hand using various techniques and methods. However, for more complex integrals, it may be more efficient to use computer software or calculators.