1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy second derivative question

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] easy second derivative question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "If y^2 - 3x =7 what is the second derivative?"

2. Relevant equations

Answer choices:

A) -6/7y^3
    B) -3/y^3
    C) 3
    D) 3/2y
    E) -9/4y^3

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the first derivative to be: 3/2y
    Second derivative: -6/(4y^2)

I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did wrong, but I know it's something since that's not a choice. I've been messing up a lot lately, so I think I'm making some sort of vital error. A step by step explanation would be appreciated!

You guys are so awesome here, thank you for all that you do.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If y'=3/(2y)=(3/2)*y^(-1) (and it is) then y''=(3/2)*(-1)*y^(-2)*y'. Notice the y' on the right side coming from the chain rule. Now substitute your previous expression for y' for that y'.
  4. Nov 29, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

well the first derivative is [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{3}{2y}=\frac{3}{2}y^{-1}[/itex]
    diff. w.r.t x again

which should give....[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{-3}{2}y^{-2}\frac{3}{2}y^{-1}[/tex]

I think you multiplied wrongly
  5. Nov 29, 2007 #4
    Dick, you are beyond wonderful. I kept messing up because I wasn't subbing for y' properly, but now I see the trick to use the first derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?