Easily Check Your Calculus Homework with Web-Based Calculators

• Thread starter Chunkysalsa
  • Start date
In summary, the professor has been assigning problems from the book that don't have the solutions in the back, which is making it hard to practice. Also, there is no tool to find solutions quickly or better yet a quick technique to check if one's answer is correct.
Chunkysalsa
So unlike most professors I've had my current calc professor assigns problems in the book that don't have the solutions in the back.

In my opinion homework is for practice and its hard to practice something if you don't even know if you got it right.

So currently I'm learning how to find derivatives and I've found a few web based calculators that are helpful to check my work.

Is there any tool I can use to find solutions quickly or better yet a quick technique to check my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out a calculus book from your library that has a solutions manual.

Work similar problems from your book that do have answers for practice. Or get a Schaum's outline.

I guess, I'd just like to be more confident in my answers before I turn them in.

Its amazing how the hardest part of calculus so far is algebra. I wish they gave more complex examples back when they taught the basics in high school.

I'd also like a way to check my answers on a test or something. For some easier functions i could graph it on my calculator a use the derivative to plot the tangent line. Doesn't really work for more complex functions or when using something like implicit differentiation.

Mathematica is the best, in my opinion, if you have it at your school you ought to use that. I think it has an online calculator for derivatives too, I know it has one for integrals.

wolframalpha.com

type in 'derivative of cos(x)^2'

boboYO said:
wolframalpha.com

type in 'derivative of cos(x)^2'

its correct.
but don't rely on it.
first solve, and then check.

i was using it wolfram earlier and its good but it won't work for checking problems using implicit differentiation (or at least i haven't figured out how)

I'll check out mathematica

Yeah, but implicit differentiation just means don't forget that y implicitly depends on x, or vise versa. It's really just a notation issue, not a differentiation issue.

1. What is the easiest way to get answers for a scientific question?

The easiest way to get answers for a scientific question is by conducting research and experiments. This involves gathering information, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

2. Can I rely on online sources for accurate answers?

While the internet can be a useful tool for finding information, it is important to evaluate the credibility of online sources before using them as a basis for scientific answers. It is best to rely on peer-reviewed articles and reputable websites for accurate information.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

The best way to determine if your answer is correct is by consulting with other scientists in your field and presenting your findings for peer review. This allows for constructive criticism and can help you identify any errors in your methodology or conclusions.

4. Is it important to consider alternative perspectives when seeking answers?

Yes, considering alternative perspectives is crucial in the scientific process. It allows for a more well-rounded understanding of a topic and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field.

5. What should I do if I cannot find an easy way to get answers for my question?

If you are having difficulty finding answers for your question, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists in your field or seek guidance from a mentor. You can also conduct further research and experiments to gather more evidence and potentially find the answers you are looking for.