1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy way to get answers

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    So unlike most professors I've had my current calc professor assigns problems in the book that don't have the solutions in the back.

In my opinion homework is for practice and its hard to practice something if you don't even know if you got it right.

So currently I'm learning how to find derivatives and I've found a few web based calculators that are helpful to check my work.

Is there any tool I can use to find solutions quickly or better yet a quick technique to check my work.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    Check out a calculus book from your library that has a solutions manual.

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Work similar problems from your book that do have answers for practice. Or get a Schaum's outline.

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    I guess, I'd just like to be more confident in my answers before I turn them in.

Its amazing how the hardest part of calculus so far is algebra. I wish they gave more complex examples back when they taught the basics in highschool.

I'd also like a way to check my answers on a test or something. For some easier functions i could graph it on my calculator a use the derivative to plot the tangent line. Doesn't really work for more complex functions or when using something like implicit differentiation.

6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    Mathematica is the best, in my opinion, if you have it at your school you ought to use that. I think it has an online calculator for derivatives too, I know it has one for integrals.

7. Jun 17, 2010 #6
    wolframalpha.com

type in 'derivative of cos(x)^2'

8. Jun 17, 2010 #7
    its correct.
    but dont rely on it.
    first solve, and then check.

9. Jun 17, 2010 #8
    i was using it wolfram earlier and its good but it wont work for checking problems using implicit differentiation (or at least i havent figured out how)

I'll check out mathematica

10. Jun 17, 2010 #9
    Yeah, but implicit differentiation just means don't forget that y implicitly depends on x, or vise versa. It's really just a notation issue, not a differentiation issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook