Eat Healthily: How to Make Changes to Your Diet

• Thread starter HiPPiE
  • Start date
In summary, the person is worried about their health and feels like they should be eating better. They mention that they are in shape because they are 16, but they feel like they should be using the information that is available today about vitamins and minerals. They also mention that they eat a vegan diet which may not be as healthy as they think. They also mention that they rarely eat fruit and vegetables and that they consume coffee and water only. Finally, they mention that they usually eat carbs, but they haven't eaten meat in a while and they are not hungry.
HiPPiE
Just lately I've begun to worry about what I eat. I'm in shape and stuff, probably because I'm 16, but I feel like I should make use of what we know today about vitamins etc. I think I eat pretty unhealthily...

All last year, on school days, I ate:

No breakfast
Lunch: spicy chicken sandwich with fries
Snack: ate like a beast here: bread, snacks, etc.
Dinner: very little... some carbs usually.

My standard summer/non-school day is:

Breakfast: Lots of coffee, bread or cereal.
Lunch: Bread, usually.
Snack: Bread.
Dinner: Lots of carbs, not much meat, not many vegetables.

I very rarely eat fruit and vegetables. I drink Coffee and Water and that's it. It is rare that we have snacks or junk food, but if we ever do, they are all I eat until they're gone.

This is unhealthy right? I have a feeling I'm probably missing calcium, vitamins, minerals, etc. What do you guys eat, and what do you suggest I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I eat a vegan diet.

Breakfast: Apple, then I finished off a bag of corn chips with flax seed

Lunch: pasta, tomato marinara with broccoli and portobello mushrooms. :tongue2:

Dinner: nothing yet I am not hungry

Skyhunter said:
I eat a vegan diet.

Breakfast: Apple, then I finished off a bag of corn chips with flax seed

Lunch: pasta, tomato marinara with broccoli and portobello mushrooms. :tongue2:

Dinner: nothing yet I am not hungry

Are you allowed to eat eggs or is any kind of animal protein off limits?

Vegan means you don't drink milk too, right? So I doubt he'd eat eggs. I meant general diet :0 not like just today.

Recently my mom's been out of town. My dad and I couldn't cook a meal for life or death so we've been eating out much.

I just finished-off a bag of Doritos (cool ranch) by pouring the remaining crumbs into my mouth...

I'd probably throw some milk and meat into there, but most weight/fitness problems for kids are caused by a sedentary lifestyle. So if you work out, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited:
You eat relatively healthy compared to some people - if that makes you feel better, lol. I eat unhealthier than you do, and I am vegetarian.

Vegan, btw, is a lifestyle that abstains from eating all animal products. Honey, milk, eggs - not consumed.

HiPPie, it seems your really lacking on the protein aspects of a well rounded diet. High carbs turn into sugars and you can get a lot of mood/body crashes during the day. Try snacking on roasted peanuts or soy nuts mid day, add some cheese to your bread, or get some protein powder, and add it to a glass of juice.
If you were my kid I would force feed you multi vitamins with minerals, more so because you don't eat your veggies and fruites. :grumpy:

Yeah so basically, hypatia, it seems I'm really lacking protein aspect and vitamins and minerals and veggies and fruit? :)
I guess I'll just try to eat more of other stuff? It's just so much harder than bread.

Bread/fruit during the day, vegetables and protein in the evening should not be hard to do.

You can add meat and cheese to your bread. :biggrin: Buy some pre-sliced meat & cheese (there are many varieties).

The grocery store I shop at has pre-made sandwiches, you can also buy pre-cut fruit and veggies. All you have to do is bite and chew, pretty simple, not even any dishes to wash afterward. This way you can eat a balanced diet without any effort.

Those pre-made sandwiches will cost a lot of money though :)

Townsend said:
Are you allowed to eat eggs or is any kind of animal protein off limits?
I am allowed to eat anything. I choose to eat only plants. After 40 odd years of eating animals and there various protiens I am happier and healthier with a vegan diet. :smile:

1. What are the benefits of eating a healthy diet?

Eating a healthy diet can improve overall health and well-being, reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes, increase energy levels, and support a healthy weight.

2. How can I make changes to my diet to eat healthier?

Start by incorporating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins into your meals. Limit processed and high-fat foods, and try to cook at home more often. Gradually make small changes rather than trying to completely overhaul your diet all at once.

3. How can I maintain a healthy diet while on a budget?

Buying in-season produce, buying in bulk, and planning meals ahead of time can all help save money when eating healthily. Also, focusing on whole foods rather than expensive processed foods can be more budget-friendly.

4. Are there any specific diets that are considered the healthiest?

There is no one "perfect" diet that works for everyone. It's important to find a balance of whole, nutritious foods that work for your body and lifestyle. Some popular healthy diets include the Mediterranean diet, DASH diet, and plant-based diets.

5. Can I still enjoy my favorite foods while eating healthily?

Yes, it's important to allow yourself to indulge in your favorite foods in moderation. Restricting yourself too much can lead to unhealthy habits. The key is to make healthier versions of your favorite foods or enjoy them in smaller portions. Balance is key when it comes to a healthy diet.