Econonmic policies to balance interest of the many versus interests of the few?

In summary, the conversation discusses two main issues related to regulations and conflicts of interest. The first issue involves individuals making decisions that benefit themselves at the expense of the company or others, with examples including the sub-prime crisis and the Film Recovery Systems case. The second issue involves corporations making decisions that benefit themselves at the expense of society, with examples such as Enron's actions in California and pollution. The conversation also touches on the impact of regulations and legislation, such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and proposed requirements for safe mortgages.
nismaratwork said:
OK, now here we bifurcate:

Creatine, Protein powders, Vitamins, Minerals... HAVE been studied to, I think, a reasonable person's satisfaction of safety. Yes, you can hurt yourself with anything, but they can be effective and harmless.

That's just a tiny BIT of the crap that gets sold under that name! I'd think you'd be desperate to have the active products you use and believe in, separated from the snake oil. I think you believe that I want things regulated that are already safe (Flintstones vitamins... or GMC... whatever) beyond quality control and disclosure of ingredients and manufacturing.

For the rest...

Your logic again, is that if you're "asked to give an inch"... i.e. a slippery slope. The thing is, the state of affairs now is the anomaly... we already know that this inch doesn't lead to a foot, in fact, it's been tossed out once already.

Oh, and good on you for standing up for congressmen... they need it man... really...

actually, i spend a lot of time on PubMed for a reason. snake oil is not something i personally have much use for. as for the rest of this, i guess we're not going to see eye to eye on it. i'd just ask that maybe you consider extending to supplement use&availability some of that commendable zeal you have for freedom and responsibility as it pertains to literature. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Proton Soup said:
actually, i spend a lot of time on PubMed for a reason. snake oil is not something i personally have much use for. as for the rest of this, i guess we're not going to see eye to eye on it. i'd just ask that maybe you consider extending to supplement use&availability some of that commendable zeal you have for freedom and responsibility as it pertains to literature. :smile:

Look, I just want to make one thing clear:

I think that even if the FDA bans something, you should be able to take it freely without fear of criminal prosecution. NOTHING I'm talking about should be criminalized, and as I've said I'm against the war on drugs. I am FOR your freedom, but I'm also for informing and protecting people who, believe it or not and arrogant or not... aren't as smart or well informed as you.

nismaratwork said:
Look, I just want to make one thing clear:

I think that even if the FDA bans something, you should be able to take it freely without fear of criminal prosecution. NOTHING I'm talking about should be criminalized, and as I've said I'm against the war on drugs. I am FOR your freedom, but I'm also for informing and protecting people who, believe it or not and arrogant or not... aren't as smart or well informed as you.

ok, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. do you mean fear of criminal prosecution for possession and use, but not fear of prosecution for sale and distribution?

informing is fine. FDA could write all the warning labels for all i care. (just look what it's done for smoking and alcohol). stupid is hard to cure, though. and some warnings are issued and interventions made, you just probably don't notice them. i don't have any on me at the moment, but if you go buy some SAMe(adomet), i think you'll find warnings somewhere in the packaging to not take it if you're bipolar/manic. potassium supplements are pretty much impossible to buy in doses more than 3% RDA, but you can still go buy NoSalt (potassium chloride) and measure out whatever dose you like. but then they'll turn around and ban sale of ephedrine as a diet drug when it is safe and effective when used as directed.

oh yeah, i just thought of a food that would maybe need a warning label: grapefruit.

Proton Soup said:
ok, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. do you mean fear of criminal prosecution for possession and use, but not fear of prosecution for sale and distribution?

informing is fine. FDA could write all the warning labels for all i care. (just look what it's done for smoking and alcohol). stupid is hard to cure, though. and some warnings are issued and interventions made, you just probably don't notice them. i don't have any on me at the moment, but if you go buy some SAMe(adomet), i think you'll find warnings somewhere in the packaging to not take it if you're bipolar/manic. potassium supplements are pretty much impossible to buy in doses more than 3% RDA, but you can still go buy NoSalt (potassium chloride) and measure out whatever dose you like. but then they'll turn around and ban sale of ephedrine as a diet drug when it is safe and effective when used as directed.

oh yeah, i just thought of a food that would maybe need a warning label: grapefruit.

I would setup a class of store, much like a liquor store which sells those supplements deemed to be fraudulent (if people want it and they KNOW... ok), or to be too risky for use by kids or people who are generally uninformed, but are not inherently dangerous. I don't see how the worst protein concoction is any worse than a shot of whiskey.

For those which are found to be genuinely harmful... need I say more? I don't count ephedrine in that category by the way, I'd sell that in the "special store", I mean flat-out harmful, impure, or not-as-labeled products. In other words, let's not have moonshiners making people go blind.

nismaratwork said:
I would setup a class of store, much like a liquor store which sells those supplements deemed to be fraudulent (if people want it and they KNOW... ok), or to be too risky for use by kids or people who are generally uninformed, but are not inherently dangerous. I don't see how the worst protein concoction is any worse than a shot of whiskey.

For those which are found to be genuinely harmful... need I say more? I don't count ephedrine in that category by the way, I'd sell that in the "special store", I mean flat-out harmful, impure, or not-as-labeled products. In other words, let's not have moonshiners making people go blind.

ok. most of the stuff that is kind of "out there" doesn't show up on the shelf at walmart, tho. you have to go to GNC or a health food hippy store, or get it online.

"state stores" for liquor i think are sort of interesting because state control is more about taxing and generating revenue. alcohol would be extremely cheap were it not taxes. because of the tax issue, a supplement ghetto does concern me. if someone thinks supplements are "bad" (and a pharma lobbyist wouldn't need much convincing), then it is easy enough to curb use with punitive tax rates.

the worry over kids is a moral panic argument mostly. i assume that you're talking about bodybuilding here. it is true that there is a huge industry catering to the body-dysmorphic teen male. it is also true that almost all of it (legal stuff) doesn't work, or has such a negligible effect that the average teen seeking a quick fix without putting in the actual work will get no benefit for it. actually, he's more likely to just get fat with some of it. if you want to get big quickly, you've got to seek out drugs on the black market. to this end, FDA is already active. educating the teenage male is another matter entirely. that takes years of failure and tons of lost money.

and... i think your bigger supplement market may be unseen: elders. check out lef.org to see what i mean. this is also why i think you may have a hard time tightening the screws on the supplement market. elderly people have money, like to spend it on things like glucosamine/chondroitin/etc., are politically active, and they vote. you'll have to pry their nostrums from their cold, bony fingers.

Proton Soup said:
ok. most of the stuff that is kind of "out there" doesn't show up on the shelf at walmart, tho. you have to go to GNC or a health food hippy store, or get it online.

"state stores" for liquor i think are sort of interesting because state control is more about taxing and generating revenue. alcohol would be extremely cheap were it not taxes. because of the tax issue, a supplement ghetto does concern me. if someone thinks supplements are "bad" (and a pharma lobbyist wouldn't need much convincing), then it is easy enough to curb use with punitive tax rates.

the worry over kids is a moral panic argument mostly. i assume that you're talking about bodybuilding here. it is true that there is a huge industry catering to the body-dysmorphic teen male. it is also true that almost all of it (legal stuff) doesn't work, or has such a negligible effect that the average teen seeking a quick fix without putting in the actual work will get no benefit for it. actually, he's more likely to just get fat with some of it. if you want to get big quickly, you've got to seek out drugs on the black market. to this end, FDA is already active. educating the teenage male is another matter entirely. that takes years of failure and tons of lost money.

and... i think your bigger supplement market may be unseen: elders. check out lef.org to see what i mean. this is also why i think you may have a hard time tightening the screws on the supplement market. elderly people have money, like to spend it on things like glucosamine/chondroitin/etc., are politically active, and they vote. you'll have to pry their nostrums from their cold, bony fingers.

I think it's definitely unwise to allow supplements to be subject to vice taxing of the alcohol or gambling variety. For starters, there isn't anything like the impact on society from tobacco, alcohol, and gambling. Then it just goes on to drive rubber-stamping "NO" on everything so they can be sold by special stores.

THAT however, is better than paying an outrageous sum for crap that doesn't even have the active ingredients in the concentrations claimed, right? Wouldn't it be better than the laws for marijuana and anabolic steroids that we have now? I'm not Ayn Rand... I don't think I have some ultimate answer to drill into you... I just really dislike the current state of affairs for many reasons, and think there IS a better way. I'm not naive enough to think that's likely to happen however.

nismaratwork said:
Interestingly *to me*, I'm in the midst of a discussion about human rights... I don't believe they exist. They're good to construct if you want to live a decent life, but I don't believe in a divine mandate or the like.
Are you referring only to contractual or social (constructed) entitlements here? Or natural rights, which involve nothing more than being left alone?

Clearly "being left alone" exists to varying degrees, even if not universal, and requires no divine mandate or construction by humans, or any obligation on the part of others.

Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
THAT however, is better than paying an outrageous sum for crap that doesn't even have the active ingredients in the concentrations claimed, right? Wouldn't it be better than the laws for marijuana and anabolic steroids that we have now? I'm not Ayn Rand... I don't think I have some ultimate answer to drill into you... I just really dislike the current state of affairs for many reasons, and think there IS a better way. I'm not naive enough to think that's likely to happen however.

Ron White said "you can't fix stupid". and i believe he is right. you might as well try to stop people from wasting tons of money on self-help books or diet cookies. it's always something. and if i wanted to give you an Ayn Rand rational self-interest argument, i'd say that all those stupid people keep the stuff i want fairly cheap and available by irrational exuberance for the market.

i honestly don't know what to tell you. in several years, I've only run into one guy working in a health food store that seemed to have any scientific background at all. he was even telling me about a recent melatonin study that came from my university. mostly they just go on about natural vs. manmade blah blah blah...

Proton Soup said:
Ron White said "you can't fix stupid". and i believe he is right. you might as well try to stop people from wasting tons of money on self-help books or diet cookies. it's always something. and if i wanted to give you an Ayn Rand rational self-interest argument, i'd say that all those stupid people keep the stuff i want fairly cheap and available by irrational exuberance for the market.

i honestly don't know what to tell you. in several years, I've only run into one guy working in a health food store that seemed to have any scientific background at all. he was even telling me about a recent melatonin study that came from my university. mostly they just go on about natural vs. manmade blah blah blah...

Yes he did, although my favorite line from that set was, "It's the kind of scotch you drink where you die PENNILESS... it's good though *swig*." I agree with him, and you as well, but I think we can take the minimal effort to protect the lives of idiots (much as it galls me). I'm not for the government making something a CRIME because of idiots, but I don't mind seeing the product pulled from grocery or convenience store shelves.

I say for idiots, we give them a basic net, and if they're SO dumb they fall through... well... *shrug*.

Proton Soup said:
actually, i spend a lot of time on PubMed for a reason. snake oil is not something i personally have much use for.

I know this is off topic, but I've been looking for something to safely increase testosterone levels - and everything looks and smells like snake oil - any pointers?

WhoWee said:
I know this is off topic, but I've been looking for something to safely increase testosterone levels - and everything looks and smells like snake oil - any pointers?

get some exercise (not excessive) and don't be fat^*. adipose tissue will cause excessive aromatization of testosterone to estrogens. this will lower your T directly (aromatization), and the excessive E creates negative feedback in the hypothalamus so that your pituitary signals the testes to slow down T production (some E is normal in males, too much indicates overproduction of T).

i don't think there's been anything on the market that works, really. aromatase inhibitors tend to shut down sex drive and dont' work for hypertrohpy either, since E is still important. some drugs pushed as T enhancers really seem to be more of a dopamine agonist thing. i don't follow along as much as i used to, but the only thing I've seen come along that was truly fascinating is the discovery of an endogenous right-handed amino acid, that was before thought to not exist.

just try to eat right and exercise. get decent sleep, and try to stay in good spirits. having a defeatist mindset really doesn't help.

*edit: i should add, dont' be too skinny, either. trying to look like a bodybuilder will put your hormones in the crapper.

Last edited:
Proton Soup said:
get some exercise (not excessive) and don't be fat^*. adipose tissue will cause excessive aromatization of testosterone to estrogens. this will lower your T directly (aromatization), and the excessive E creates negative feedback in the hypothalamus so that your pituitary signals the testes to slow down T production (some E is normal in males, too much indicates overproduction of T).

i don't think there's been anything on the market that works, really. aromatase inhibitors tend to shut down sex drive and dont' work for hypertrohpy either, since E is still important. some drugs pushed as T enhancers really seem to be more of a dopamine agonist thing. i don't follow along as much as i used to, but the only thing I've seen come along that was truly fascinating is the discovery of an endogenous right-handed amino acid, that was before thought to not exist.

just try to eat right and exercise. get decent sleep, and try to stay in good spirits. having a defeatist mindset really doesn't help.

*edit: i should add, dont' be too skinny, either. trying to look like a bodybuilder will put your hormones in the crapper.

I know this isn't what WhoWee asked, but what is it that you want from from testosterone WhoWee? After all, it may be that whatever is causing you to believe that such an increase would be beneficial may have another solution... or not.

nismaratwork said:
I know this isn't what WhoWee asked, but what is it that you want from from testosterone WhoWee? After all, it may be that whatever is causing you to believe that such an increase would be beneficial may have another solution... or not.

We are clearly off-topic - if we need to delete - I understand.

As Proton suggested, the first problem was weight loss and lack of excercise. I gained a significant number of pounds after dislocating my shoulder and injuring my knee in a nasty 2 story fall through my building (long story). Before that, I enjoyed running and lifting weights.

Unable to run, I started a weight re-hab program (mostly rubber band machines) and rebuilt my strength. In the process, I lost the extra weight.

Problem two is I have a Hypothyroidism condition as well as hypertension - business-stress related more than likely. My doctor awarded me the best cholesterol designation amongst his patients and my sugar is correct. Accordingly, I take synthroid, lisinopril, and clonidine. I also take a daily vitamin and a baby aspirin.

The specific problems are very restless sleep, lethargy, (yes) reduced sex drive/stamina, and a clear drop-off of strength.

WhoWee said:

As Proton suggested, the first problem was weight loss and lack of excercise. I gained a significant number of pounds after dislocating my shoulder and injuring my knee in a nasty 2 story fall through my building (long story). Before that, I enjoyed running and lifting weights.

Unable to run, I started a weight re-hab program (mostly rubber band machines) and rebuilt my strength. In the process, I lost the extra weight.

Problem two is I have a Hypothyroidism condition as well as hypertension - business-stress related more than likely. My doctor awarded me the best cholesterol designation amongst his patients and my sugar is correct. Accordingly, I take synthroid, lisinopril, and clonidine. I also take a daily vitamin and a baby aspirin.

The specific problems are very restless sleep, lethargy, (yes) reduced sex drive/stamina, and a clear drop-off of strength.

Gotcha, and for the record, that's a good medical reason to explore your options in my view. I'm very sorry for your fall, but I'm glad you're alive... so there's that. I don't see that testosterone overseen by a doctor would be an issue... in fact, this is precisely why things like anabolic steroids, testosterone, HGH... aren't BAD, they're just bad to abuse or use in a bad risk-reward scenario. (for me, that means no bulging biceps... oh well). I'm going to do a bit of research on the medications you're taking, your injury, and see if there might be more than testosterone which could help.

The thing is... treating each symptom (take the sex drive) would probably place you at risk due to your BP, whatever the cause. Hormone therapy carries some increased risk of stroke and other clotting disorders, but... well... risk-reward.

That was, needless to say, JUST MY OPINION and not a professional assessment.

Proton Soup said:
i should add, dont' be too skinny, either. trying to look like a bodybuilder will put your hormones in the crapper.

It will...:confused: If you lift weights with the proper poundages and repetitions, eat right, and get proper sleep, looking like a bodybuilder shouldn't hurt your hormones.

WhoWee said:

I don't know if you can or not because of your injuries, but if you can, heavy barbell squats and deadlifts will naturally boost testosterone.

As off topic as this is, a point is illuminated that a void exists between the research and review of the FDA and the consumer. Foods and supplements might be discussed with a doctor but, in so much as they are not regulated, managed by the individual.

We all know that when a vacuum exists (in this case information readily available to the public) something will fill it (in this example literature from supplement suppliers) - snake oil can also seep in.

WhoWee said:
As off topic as this is, a point is illuminated that a void exists between the research and review of the FDA and the consumer. Foods and supplements might be discussed with a doctor but, in so much as they are not regulated, managed by the individual.

We all know that when a vacuum exists (in this case information readily available to the public) something will fill it (in this example literature from supplement suppliers) - snake oil can also seep in.

Too true... doctors can't warn patients if the information isn't there to begin with! Then of course people don't listen to their doctor's caution, and end up playing games with their bodies. If the FDA were empowered, staffed, and funded with a broader mandate, the result would in part be doctors having more information to offer.

We've all seen how effective it is to tell people that marijuana turns them into killers, perverts, and... piano-players oddly enough. People get scared, listen, find they've been tricked, and it takes DECADES to stop the mutual reactionary process of feedback between over-regulation, and snake-oil.

CAC1001 said:
I don't know if you can or not because of your injuries, but if you can, heavy barbell squats and deadlifts will naturally boost testosterone.

I'm familiar with this concept... that sustained heavy lifts increase serum testosterone. I'm given to understand that effect is a matter of the weight and duration of the lift, and the exercises that you mentioned are the best for joints and health.

I'm not asking this because I think you're dicking about, I just couldn't find... a paper? A study? I found plenty of links on bodybuilding and even "medical faq" sites, but not a peer reviewed study.

nismaratwork said:
I'm familiar with this concept... that sustained heavy lifts increase serum testosterone. I'm given to understand that effect is a matter of the weight and duration of the lift, and the exercises that you mentioned are the best for joints and health.

I'm not asking this because I think you're dicking about, I just couldn't find... a paper? A study? I found plenty of links on bodybuilding and even "medical faq" sites, but not a peer reviewed study.

most of those hormonal effects from squats are very short-lived. but if you want to get very strong, then by all means, squat. the comment about looking like a bodybuilder was a reference to extreme leanness (don't do that).

Proton Soup said:
most of those hormonal effects from squats are very short-lived. but if you want to get very strong, then by all means, squat. the comment about looking like a bodybuilder was a reference to extreme leanness (don't do that).

I understand... people don't seem to grasp that it's a % of body fat issue OVERALL, not some mystical gut-magic. I was just a little surprised to hear it floated as a means of raising serum testosterone in the vein of WhoWee's needs.

Personally, I'm happy to be lean... not hugely muscular, not flabby... not six-packed from a mile away... but lean. It takes enough work in terms of proper diet, exercise, and sleep to keep that going.

BTW... when you say "bodybuilder", is there a specific term for the 'bulk' bodybuilders vs. the more genuine seeming, 'form' bodybuilder? The former always struck me as a huge outpouring of resources, and risk, for a very VERY specific goal. The second... is something more akin to a good hobby. Would that be fair to say?

Can we split this thread?

nismaratwork said:

Don't know of any peer-reviewed studies on the issue of weightlifting increasing testosterone, it was something I had read somewhere a while back.

nismaratwork said:
Personally, I'm happy to be lean... not hugely muscular, not flabby... not six-packed from a mile away... but lean. It takes enough work in terms of proper diet, exercise, and sleep to keep that going.

I envy you. Last time I resembled your condition was after 9 months of cycling my butt off. Barring a repeat performance, I think my report on the scale will remain dismal!

mugaliens said:
I envy you. Last time I resembled your condition was after 9 months of cycling my butt off. Barring a repeat performance, I think my report on the scale will remain dismal!

Ah, but we BOTH know it isn't the scale, but the ratio of body fat that matters. Still, as the French say so well.. "Life, eh?" :biggrin:

CAC1001: OK, I was just curious. I've read the same, heard the same and it's not often treated as nonsense. From what I've heard from Proton, a few colleagues and read... it seems to accurate, but that the boost is short-lived. It makes sense given a healthy endocrine system, but I wonder what the effect of telling your body: "muscle-priority!" is, if you DO have an endocrine disorder relating to testosterone production or binding.

WhoWee said:
Can we split this thread?
Yes please split off the medical stuff into another thread.

Just wanted to add a couple suggested regulations relating to OP. When it comes to campaign funding, lobbying should not be allowed. Who stands to gain from this activity except the obvious. Lobbying is basically a kind of political auction. If every candidate was only given a certain amount of money for there campaign out of the federal budget it would level the playing field dramatically. I am also sick of the media(news stations mainly)electing candidates instead of the people. Though if enough people realized they were being brainwashed it wouldn't work, but just like laws that replace the lack of morality and self discipline in some, there could be laws that protect the stupid and impressionable. Though we are all guilty of that at one point or another.

Also if companies were not allowed to hire outside of they're country of origin then companies like walmart couldn't take advantage of Chinese 'slave labor'. That gives them an unfair advantage over smaller companies putting them out of business. I guess there are those that have worked for that though, currency manipulation is hard work too! Then we could make the stuff we buy. Then 'stimulating the economy' by spending would actually work. I love how blame gets put on the lack of consumer confidence. Like if we all start spending our money on chinese goods from big box stores that we are eventually going to see the benefits. HA!

BilPrestonEsq said:
Just wanted to add a couple suggested regulations relating to OP. When it comes to campaign funding, lobbying should not be allowed. Who stands to gain from this activity except the obvious. Lobbying is basically a kind of political auction.

Ironically, the recent events in AZ may increase the acceptance of lobbying - as a buffer between the elected officials and the general public - further insulating Washington from the voters.

WhoWee said:
Ironically, the recent events in AZ may increase the acceptance of lobbying - as a buffer between the elected officials and the general public - further insulating Washington from the voters.

I believe we can absolutely count on the cowardice of our elected officials, their greed, and the ability of lobbyists to capitalize on both.