1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eelipsoid and line intersection

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have an ellipsoid with center (000). There is a point A inside the ellipsoid with known coordinates(1,2,3) I draw a line from center to point A and extend it to cut the ellipsoid on on point p(x,y,z).

2. Relevant equations

I want to find the coordinates of point P(x,y,z)

3. The attempt at a solution

The equation of ellipsoid for p is x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2+z^2/c^2=1
    i have the values of a,b and c
    i want to know if the ellipsoid equation is applicable to coordinates of A and coordinates of P

and how can i create equation using the coordinates of p with the coordinates of A
    by equation of line method as both the points lie on a straight line with one end on (000) as the third point.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Express the line through (0,0,0) and (1,2,3) in parametric form, i.e. x=t, y=2t, z=3t. Put that into the ellipsoid equation. Solve for t.
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much . I tried that method but the problem I am facing is say my point A (1,2,3) is inside the ellipsoid and center(000) and the point on the ellipsoid i solve using
    x^2/a2+y^2/b2+Z^2/c^2=1 by substituting x=t,y=2t,z=3t and solving for t. But the distance between center and point (x,y,z) should be equal to the sum of the dist between center and A and A and point(x,y,z) . that is not matching .i am using the formula for dist between two pints say(x1,y1,z1) and (x2,y2,z2) as sqrt(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2+(z2-z1)^2.
    can you tell me where i am going wrong
  5. Jan 21, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What did you use for a, b and c, what did you get for t and hence for (x,y,z)? Of course you should find that the distance from O to A plus the distance from A to (x,y,z) should equal the distance from O to (x,y,z). But it's impossible to say what you are doing wrong until you tell us what you did.
  6. Jan 21, 2009 #5
    Thank you for your responce.
    I used a=1
    for coordinates of A(1,2,3) and center(0,0,0)

now my equaation becomes for point p(x,y,z) on ellipsoid

put in ellipsoid equation

now pa=sqrt[(x-1)^2+(y-2)^2+(z-3)^2]=1.603
    point A and center(000)=3.74
    whereas my p to center is 3.30
    i cannoot understand where i am going wrong
  7. Jan 21, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think your distance from p to the center is right. But more importantly, if you choose a=1, b=2, and c=3 then your selected point A=(1,2,3) is OUTSIDE of the ellipsoid. I thought you were going to put it inside.
  8. Jan 21, 2009 #7
    i need the point A to be inside . I guess I should have given the arbitraty values for the axis as a=3 b=2 and c=1 . I hope a,b,c are the semimajor axis,semiminor axis and the z axis repectively in the ellipsoid equation . and the coordinates of A(1,2,3) are separate.
    the point on the ellipsoid will have x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2+z^2/3^3=1.where the x=t,y=2t,z=3t as the line touching the point on ellipsoid pwill pass through the center(000) and A(1,2,3) located inside the ellipsoid.
    I tried that too but still it is not matching.
  9. Jan 21, 2009 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, a, b and c are the axes of the ellipse. But if you want A(1,2,3) to be inside the ellipse, you need to make a, b and c larger than 1, 2 and 3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?