Effect of combining two source of light

I wonder to know what would happen when we use two flashlight in a same direction. by doing so, do we extend the range of light?
if so, does it mean if the lights cross each other in a point perpendicularly the range that the light can traverse is going to reduce ?
I have been said that if we create a hole on a surface and put it in front of a light source, the beam that we created going further? if is it true What is the reason?
Tnx

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wonder to know what would happen when we use two flashlight in a same direction. by doing so, do we extend the range of light?
if so, does it mean if the lights cross each other in a point perpendicularly the range that the light can traverse is going to reduce ?
I have been said that if we create a hole on a surface and put it in front of a light source, the beam that we created going further? if is it true What is the reason?
Tnx
Hi mohammadyou, welcome to the Physics Forums.

You could say that a pair of flashlights will extend the useful range.

Light beams can cross and they'll always emerge undiminished.

I guess a piece of reflective material, with a hole, placed over a flashlight could give a slightly stronger beam, but only slightly. You probably wouldn't notice it without instrumentation. Why do you think the beam might be a little bit brighter?

You could say that a pair of flashlights will extend the useful range.
Light beams can cross and they'll always emerge undiminished.
Thanks NascentOxygen,
Which kind of rule takes place that useful range with extend ? (thought Physics is not my field )
Why do you think the beam might be a little bit brighter?
I do agree with you, the power that added to beam is not too much but
some people use this trick in a sender and receiver infrared to extend their range !!!
and I consider this power negligible

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor