Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of combining two source of light

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    I wonder to know what would happen when we use two flashlight in a same direction. by doing so, do we extend the range of light?
    if so, does it mean if the lights cross each other in a point perpendicularly the range that the light can traverse is going to reduce ?
    I have been said that if we create a hole on a surface and put it in front of a light source, the beam that we created going further? if is it true What is the reason?
    Tnx

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi mohammadyou, welcome to the Physics Forums.

You could say that a pair of flashlights will extend the useful range.

Light beams can cross and they'll always emerge undiminished.

I guess a piece of reflective material, with a hole, placed over a flashlight could give a slightly stronger beam, but only slightly. You probably wouldn't notice it without instrumentation. Why do you think the beam might be a little bit brighter?

4. Sep 15, 2014 #3
    Thanks NascentOxygen,
    Which kind of rule takes place that useful range with extend ? (thought Physics is not my field )
    I do agree with you, the power that added to beam is not too much but
    some people use this trick in a sender and receiver infrared to extend their range !!!
    and I consider this power negligible

5. Sep 15, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook