Effect of contamination and solutes on surface tension

In summary, the conversation discusses how different factors affect surface tension. It is explained that contamination can decrease surface tension because the particles interfere with the attraction between fluid particles. On the other hand, highly soluble substances can increase surface tension, while sparingly soluble substances can decrease it. The reason for this is not fully understood and requires a deeper understanding of fluid physics, specifically the role of surfactants.
takando12
I was asked to explain how different factors affect surface tension. I can understand how temperature plays a role.
1) Contamination:
Increase in contamination decreases surface tension. I tried thinking about it.I thought maybe the particles that contaminate the fluid get in the way and don't allow the fluid particles to attract each as much as they usually do?( forgive me if that is terribly wrong).
2) Solutes:
Highly soluble substances increase the surface tension. I can't think of anything. For sparingly soluble substances, the same analogy of contaminants could possible be used to decrease surface tension.

Could someone help me understand the reasons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solutes can increase or decrease surface tension (soap,salt). "Contaminants?" Soluble or insoluble?

Bystander said:
Solutes can increase or decrease surface tension (soap,salt).
But why?? What do they actually do?
Bystander said:
"Contaminants?" Soluble or insoluble?
Insoluble I guess.

takando12 said:
I was asked to explain how different factors affect surface tension. I can understand how temperature plays a role.
1) Contamination:
Increase in contamination decreases surface tension. I tried thinking about it.I thought maybe the particles that contaminate the fluid get in the way and don't allow the fluid particles to attract each as much as they usually do?( forgive me if that is terribly wrong).
2) Solutes:
Highly soluble substances increase the surface tension. I can't think of anything. For sparingly soluble substances, the same analogy of contaminants could possible be used to decrease surface tension.

Could someone help me understand the reasons?

Answers to your questions (the proper term is 'surfactants') are not at the beginner level. How much fluid physics do you know?

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the measure of how difficult it is to stretch or break the surface of a liquid. It is caused by the cohesive forces between molecules on the surface of the liquid.

2. How does contamination affect surface tension?

Contamination can lower the surface tension of a liquid by disrupting the cohesive forces between molecules. This can make the surface of the liquid more susceptible to breaking and reduce its ability to maintain a stable shape.

3. How do solutes impact surface tension?

Solutes can have varying effects on surface tension depending on their chemical properties. Some solutes can decrease surface tension by disrupting the cohesive forces between molecules, while others can increase surface tension by attracting or repelling water molecules.

4. Why is studying the effect of contamination and solutes on surface tension important?

Understanding how contamination and solutes affect surface tension is important in many fields, including chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It can help us understand the behavior of liquids in different environments and how they interact with other substances.

5. Can surface tension be manipulated for practical applications?

Yes, surface tension can be manipulated for various practical applications, such as in the production of soap bubbles or detergents. By understanding how solutes and contamination affect surface tension, we can also develop methods to purify water and remove pollutants from it.