Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of current induced by rod magnet

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    If you had a lined retangular section solenoid inclined at a angle of 45 deg and you rolled a rod magnet ( just fits inside the retagular section) down it. Would the current induced in the solenoid brake or accelerate the rod magnet.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I'm not sure that I understand the geometry that you are describing. Also, what is the solenoid wiring connected to? Is there a load resistor, is it shorted end-to-end, or is it open circuit? Could you maybe post a sketch/drawing? I'm assuming the bar magnet has N at one end and S at the other end, right?

4. Aug 27, 2011 #3
    yep the question isn't clear..

5. Aug 27, 2011 #4
    There are several things going on here. The final answer is: no braking and no acceleration.

Assume a solenoid wound around a non-conducting rectangular form sloped at 45 degrees. A long magnetized rod magnetized end to end pulled or pushed through the solenoid will induce voltage pulses in the coil. If the ends of the solenoid are connected to a load, there will be a retarding force due to induced current. However, if a short rod magnetized end to end and rolling down the solenoid, will not induce a voltage, nor any retarding force. This is because both magnetized ends are at the same axial position of the solenoid at any instant in time.

Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook