Effect of Temperature on Chemical Reaction Equilibrium

In summary, the question is about calculating the equilibrium constants at 600K and 800K by considering the total pressure of 1 bar and using the information that there are 4 mols of HCl per O2. The 85% conversion means that 85% of oxygen has reacted, leaving 0.03 bar of oxygen and 0.12 bar of HCl remaining. Each mol of oxygen reacted results in 4 new mols of water and chlorine being produced. With this information, the equilibrium constants can be calculated as 10.67 at 600K and 15.11 at 800K.
Tom Hardy
here is the question (part I):
MwGKy.png
For part I, I need some assistance, I cannot figure out how to do the question. I know eventually what to do, it's just working out the equilibrium constants I'm having trouble with. So to start, I want to work out the K values at 600K and 800K, I do this by considering the total pressure:

$$
\text{Total Pressure} = 1 \text{ bar}
$$

Initially:

$$
P^{o_2} + P^{HCl} = 1
$$
Since there are 4 mols of hcl per o2 we can write:

$$
5P^{o_2} = 1 \implies P^{O_2} = 0.2 \text{bar}
$$

85% conversion means that in the end, 85% of the oxygen has reacted therefore, there is 0.2*0.15 = 0.03 bar oxygen remaining, therefore 0.12 bar HCl remaining. In addition to this, each mol of oxygen reacted results in 4 new mols being created, therefore there are (0.85*0.2*2) bar of water (and also chlorine) produced, with this information, I can calculate my equilibrium constant, is this correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
$$K(600K) = \frac{P^{HCl}}{P^{O_2}} \frac{P^{H_2O}}{P^{Cl_2}} = \frac{0.12}{0.03} \frac{0.34}{0.17} = 10.67$$$$K(800K) = \frac{P^{HCl}}{P^{O_2}} \frac{P^{H_2O}}{P^{Cl_2}} = \frac{0.12}{0.03} \frac{0.53}{0.27} = 15.11$$

1. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant (K)?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants in a chemical reaction at equilibrium. An increase in temperature usually causes an increase in the value of K for an exothermic reaction (one that releases heat) and a decrease in the value of K for an endothermic reaction (one that absorbs heat).

2. Can temperature changes shift the equilibrium position of a chemical reaction?

Yes, changes in temperature can shift the equilibrium position of a chemical reaction. According to Le Chatelier's principle, when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a change in temperature, the system will shift in the direction that minimizes the effect of the temperature change. This means that an increase in temperature will cause the equilibrium position to shift in the endothermic direction (towards the reactants), while a decrease in temperature will cause the equilibrium position to shift in the exothermic direction (towards the products).

3. How does temperature affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

Generally, an increase in temperature will increase the rate of a chemical reaction. This is because an increase in temperature results in an increase in the kinetic energy of the reactant molecules, causing them to collide more frequently and with more energy. This leads to a higher proportion of successful collisions, resulting in a faster rate of reaction.

4. Can temperature changes affect the equilibrium constant of a reversible reaction?

Yes, temperature changes can affect the equilibrium constant of a reversible reaction. The equilibrium constant is a function of temperature, so any changes in temperature will result in a corresponding change in the equilibrium constant. As mentioned earlier, an increase in temperature will usually result in an increase in the value of K for an exothermic reaction and a decrease in the value of K for an endothermic reaction.

5. Is the effect of temperature on chemical equilibrium the same for all chemical reactions?

No, the effect of temperature on chemical equilibrium can vary depending on the specific reaction. Some reactions are more sensitive to changes in temperature, while others may be less affected. It is important to consider the enthalpy (heat) of the reaction and the activation energy when predicting the effect of temperature on a chemical reaction's equilibrium.