Effects of backstreaming on a diffusion-pumped system

In summary, backstreaming can affect the pumping speed of a diffusion-pumped system, and there are methods to calculate the volumetric flow rate and conductance of a vacuum system. It is important to consider the conductance of all components, including the cold trap, in order to accurately calculate the overall conductance of the system. However, the effect of the cold trap on conductance is minimal under normal flow conditions.
rkum99
Sorry, if this should have been in an homework section.

Anyway, I was wondering what effects backstreaming has on the pumping speed
of a diffusion-pumped system. I can see how you would not want backstreaming
to maintain clean system, but would it also affect the net speed?

Also, does anyone know how to calculate the volumetric flow rate at a point along
the vacuum system. I know how to calculate it in theory, but how would one go
about solving something of this sort in practice (with an actual vacuum system).

Thanks for the help,
me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rkum99 said:
Also, does anyone know how to calculate the volumetric flow rate at a point along
the vacuum system. I know how to calculate it in theory, but how would one go
about solving something of this sort in practice (with an actual vacuum system).

Thanks for the help,
me.

There is always some increased level of backstreaming as the hot oil vapor jet contacts a greater amount of air molecules as flow is increased that usually requires a baffle or cold trap to condense the vapor back into the pump. Having to pump that escaped vapor back into the pump does slightly effect the max possible pumping speed further along the system. At some point you start to have excessive backsteaming caused by excessive pump pressure that exceeds the actual pumping speed of the oil vapor at the pump causing a hell of a mess.

Some practical methods of calculating vacuum flows and pumping speed can be found here.
https://www.lesker.com/newweb/menu_techinfo.cfm?section=condcut&init=skip
https://www.lesker.com/newweb/menu_techinfo.cfm?section=pumping&init=skip

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch, this will be useful.:)

rkum99 said:
Thanks a bunch, this will be useful.:)

The rate of oil migration from backstreaming is also determined by the vacuum flow regime of the molecules. At low flow rates and high vacuum the pumping system is in molecular flow so the random movements of oil vapor molecules can easily cause them to migrate into a vacuum chamber.

http://www.pfeiffer-vacuum.com/know...es-of-flow/technology.action?chapter=tec1.2.6

One more question:

Say I wanted to calculate the conductance of the system using the diameters of the pipes, do
I need to consider the conductance through the diffusion pump, mechanical pump, cold trap, etc.
I would assume that I need to, but the website seems to imply that I only need to take into
consideration the conductance of the connections.

If this is the case, would a cold trap that is not in use be considered as a pipe?

rkum99 said:
One more question:

Say I wanted to calculate the conductance of the system using the diameters of the pipes, do
I need to consider the conductance through the diffusion pump, mechanical pump, cold trap, etc.
I would assume that I need to, but the website seems to imply that I only need to take into
consideration the conductance of the connections.

If this is the case, would a cold trap that is not in use be considered as a pipe?

Normally the traps are directly on top , short and are the same diameter of the diffusion pump inlet so their effect on conductance is small under normal flow conditions. The mechanical pump system conductance is isolated by the compression ratio of the diffusion pump inlet to the foreline so as long the correct level of foreline pressure is maintained it's effect on hivac system conductance is small.

1. What is backstreaming and how does it affect a diffusion-pumped system?

Backstreaming refers to the process in which gas molecules that are being pumped out of a vacuum system flow back into the system due to pressure differences. In a diffusion-pumped system, backstreaming can lead to contamination and reduced pumping efficiency, ultimately affecting the overall performance of the system.

2. What are the potential sources of backstreaming in a diffusion-pumped system?

The most common sources of backstreaming in a diffusion-pumped system are thermal outgassing from the materials used in the system, residual gas molecules in the pump oil, and leaks in the system's seals or joints.

3. How can the effects of backstreaming be minimized in a diffusion-pumped system?

To minimize the effects of backstreaming, it is important to use high-quality materials with low outgassing rates in the construction of the system. The use of cold traps and getter pumps can also help to reduce backstreaming by capturing gas molecules before they reach the diffusion pump. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper sealing of the system can prevent leaks that can contribute to backstreaming.

4. What are the consequences of backstreaming on the performance of a diffusion-pumped system?

Backstreaming can lead to contamination of the vacuum system, resulting in decreased pumping efficiency and potentially compromising the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. It can also cause damage to sensitive components, such as sensors or detectors, within the system.

5. Are there any ways to measure and monitor backstreaming in a diffusion-pumped system?

Yes, there are several methods for measuring and monitoring backstreaming in a diffusion-pumped system. These include using pressure gauges, residual gas analyzers, or laser-based techniques to detect and quantify the level of backstreaming. Regularly monitoring and addressing backstreaming can help to maintain the performance and longevity of the system.