Effects of oscillations of electrons

In summary, R.Feynman discusses in his book, "Lectures on Physics Vol I", how magnetic fields are a result of electric fields caused by the relative motion of electrons. He also explains that the electromagnetic spectrum, including light waves, is a result of the oscillations of electrons at different frequencies. However, the question arises of where the electrons gain the energy for sustained oscillations at the "light frequency" (5x10^14-5x10^15) so that we can see. It is clarified that light is produced by the oscillations of photons, not electrons, as electrons only change energy levels and the energy lost goes into the photon.
physio
I was just reading R.Feynman's Lectures on physics Vol I and I came across this discussion in which he says that magnetic field results from an electric field i.e relative motion of electrons and so on. Further, he says that the electomagnetic spectrum consists of light waves... The whole spectrum is brought about by the oscillations of electrons. i.e the frequency of oscillations determine the various effects such as x-rays, microwaves, light itself... What's puzzling me now is that from where do the electrons gain energy for sustained oscillations at the "light frequency" (5x10^14-5x10^15) so that we can actually "see"?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi physio! :smile:

physio said:
… from where do the electrons gain energy for sustained oscillations at the "light frequency" (5x10^14-5x10^15) so that we can actually "see"?

light is from the oscillations of photons, not of electrons

the light is produced by an electron moving from one energy level ('orbit') to another round an atom or molecule … the energy lost goes into the photon :wink:

1. What causes oscillations of electrons?

The oscillations of electrons are caused by an external force, such as an electric field or a magnetic field. These fields interact with the charged particles, causing them to move back and forth in a periodic manner.

2. How do oscillations of electrons affect electronic devices?

The effects of oscillations of electrons can vary depending on the specific device. In some cases, these oscillations can generate electromagnetic radiation, which is used in technologies such as radio and television. In other cases, they can cause interference and disrupt the functioning of electronic devices.

3. What is the relationship between oscillations of electrons and light?

Oscillations of electrons are directly related to the production of light. When electrons oscillate, they emit electromagnetic radiation, which can range from radio waves to visible light. This is how light is produced in electronic devices such as light bulbs and computer screens.

4. Can the oscillations of electrons be controlled?

Yes, the oscillations of electrons can be controlled through the use of external forces. By manipulating the strength and direction of electric and magnetic fields, scientists can alter the frequency and amplitude of electron oscillations.

5. What are some practical applications of electron oscillations?

Electron oscillations have numerous practical applications in modern technology. They are used in communication systems, such as radio and television, and in various electronic devices, such as computer chips and lasers. They are also essential in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines, which use oscillating magnetic fields to produce images of the body.