1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effects of oscillations of electrons

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    I was just reading R.Feynman's Lectures on physics Vol I and I came across this discussion in which he says that magnetic field results from an electric field i.e relative motion of electrons and so on. Further, he says that the electomagnetic spectrum consists of light waves.... The whole spectrum is brought about by the oscillations of electrons. i.e the frequency of oscillations determine the various effects such as x-rays, microwaves, light itself... What's puzzling me now is that from where do the electrons gain energy for sustained oscillations at the "light frequency" (5x10^14-5x10^15) so that we can actually "see"???

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi physio! :smile:

light is from the oscillations of photons, not of electrons

the light is produced by an electron moving from one energy level ('orbit') to another round an atom or molecule … the energy lost goes into the photon :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook