Efficiency of Two Carnot Engines Operating in Series

• A
  • Thread starter SteveMaryland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculations
In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series and whether it is the same as one engine running between the maximum and minimum temperatures. The conventional answer is that the series efficiency is the same as one engine, but one of the participants is skeptical and provides their own calculations that show the series efficiency to be the sum of the individual efficiencies minus the "one engine" efficiency. Another participant, Ed Jaynes, has a different answer that differs from the first participant's calculations. The overall efficiency of a series of Carnot engines operating between multiple constant temperature reservoirs is determined to be equal to the efficiency of a single Carnot engine operating between the maximum and minimum temperatures. There is also discussion about the subtleties of connecting
SteveMaryland
This has been discussed in a previous thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/efficiency-of-two-carnot-engines-in-series.173879/

Th conventional answer is that the series efficiency is the same as one engine running between T max and T min but I am skeptical.

I have attached my calculations as a PDF. My calculation says that the series efficiency is the sum of the two individual efficiencies minus the "one engine" efficiency. Ed Jaynes seems to have another answer also, but it differs from mine (see attached screenshot of jayne's paper; I tried uploading Jaynes paper but too large...).

Attachments

• EFFICIENCY OF TWO CARNOT ENGINES IN SERIES.pdf
    342.4 KB · Views: 52
  • FRON JAYNES PAPER.JPG
    FRON JAYNES PAPER.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 38
Science news on Phys.org
The overall efficiency of a series of Carnot engines operating between each of n constant temperature reservoirs is just:
##\eta=\frac{W}{Q_{in}}=\frac{(Q_{1}-Q_2)+(Q_2-Q_3).... (Q_{n-1}-Q_n)}{Q_1}## which reduces to:
(1) ##\eta=\frac{(Q_1-Q_n)}{Q_1}=1-\frac{Q_n}{Q_1}##

Since it is a Carnot cycle, ##\Delta S=\Sigma_1^n \Delta S_i=0## over one complete cycle where ##\Delta S_i## is the change in entropy of reservoir no. i.

Since the reservoirs are at constant temperature for any given reservoir no. i:
##\Delta S=\frac{Q_i}{T_i}=\frac{Q_{i-in}}{T_i}-\frac{Q_{i-out}}{T_i}##.

But we know that for all the intermediate reservoirs, heat flow in=heat flow out so:
##Q_i=0##.

So ##\Sigma_2^{n-1}\Delta S_i=0##. Therefore, there is a change in entropy of only the first and last reservoirs.

We conclude therefore, that: ##\Delta S=\Delta S_1+\Delta S_n=0##. And since ##\Delta S_1=\frac{-Q_1}{T_1}## and ##\Delta S_n=\frac{Q_n}{T_n}##, then ##\frac{Q_n}{T_n}=\frac{Q_1}{T_1}##

So:
(2) ##\frac{Q_n}{Q_1}=\frac{T_n}{T_1}##.

Substituting (2) into (1) gives:

(3) ##\eta=1-\frac{T_n}{T_1}## which is the same as a single Carnot engine operating between those temperatures.

AM

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Thank you. That is what I hear, but can you comment on what Jaynes talking about?

Attachments

• FRON JAYNES PAPER.JPG
    FRON JAYNES PAPER.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 41
I was addressing your skepticism about the conventional answer as to the series efficiency. I am not sure why you would want to express that in terms of the efficiencies of each engine but just do this:

(1) ##\eta_{12}=\frac{T_1-T_2}{T_1}## so ##T_2=T_1-T_1\eta_{12}##
(2) ##\eta_{23}=\frac{T_2-T_3}{T_2}## so ##T_3=T_2-T_2\eta_{23}##
(3) ##\eta_{13}=\frac{T_1-T_3}{T_1}##

Then substitute in (3) the value for ##T_3## in (2) resulting in:
##\eta_{13}=\frac{T_1-(T_2-T_2\eta_{23})}{T_1}##. Then substituting the value for ##T_2## in (1) gives:

##\eta_{13}=\frac{T_1-([T_1-T_1\eta_{12}]-[T_1-T_1\eta_{12}]\eta_{23})}{T_1}##.

This results in:
##\eta_{13}=1-(1-\eta_{12})-\eta_{23}(1-\eta_{12})=1-[(1-\eta_{12})(1-\eta_{23})]##
##\eta_{13}=\eta_{12}+\eta_{23}-\eta_{23}\eta_{12}##

AM

Last edited:
Thank you again. That is what Jaynes said. My assumption was that the (combined) efficiency of two engines in series would be = the product of the (separate) efficiencies of each engine, which would always be less than the 1-3 efficiency. But apparently (because of zero net entropy?) that is not the case.

My first post explains it. It is just a matter of calculating efficiency. If you think about it, the combined efficiency of two equally efficient engines would not be less than the efficiency of each engine operating between the same two temperatures. And when two equally efficient engines are in series, operating between reservoirs whose temperature difference is proportionately the same (800K-400K and 400K-200K for example) they should be more efficient because more work is being done but no new heat is flowing.

AM

Agreed. I think my confusion derives from conflating "thermal series" with "mechanical series".

In the above we are connecting Carnot engines in both thermal series and mechanical series. This is a different case from where two Carnot engines were connected in mechanical series but operate in thermal parallel.

Nevertheless, expressing the 1-3 efficiency in terms of 1-2 and 2-3 efficiencies, as Jaynes did, looks very counter-intuitive. Who knew that the net series efficiency could be expressed as the sum minus the product?

Andrew Mason said:
but no new heat is flowing.

I think there is a subtlety here. Suppose the engines are not identical. Tacitly you are assuming that the intermediate reservoir maintains a steady temperature (without external input of heat). This is where one must invoke Carnot explicity.

Further consideration - we may indeed have two Carnot engines in "thermal series" but they may or may not be in "mechanical series". If the "work output shafts" of the two Carnot engines are not mechanically connected, then the total output work is indeed Wa + Wb, but if the shafts are mechanically connected, the work output becomes a single "combined" work, and if one engine is "weak", it may act as a drag on the other and reduce the "combined" work to < Wa +Wb.

Jaynes was talking about a case where the two engine shafts were indeed "hooked together" mechanically. If so, and if one of the engines is "weak" (and Eb is certainly weaker than Ea because Eb is operating between a lesser dT than Ea) then Eb may "be a drag" on the total work output if the engines are constrained to be mechanically linked.

Last edited:
The way they are "hooked together" need not be specified. The condition that they each act as a Carnot engine is the stated requirement. The exact mechanical linkage may in fact be difficult, but these are theoretical constructs.

1. What is the efficiency of two Carnot engines operating in series?

The efficiency of two Carnot engines operating in series can be calculated by multiplying the efficiency of each individual engine. This is because the waste heat from the first engine is used as the heat source for the second engine, resulting in a more efficient overall process.

2. How does the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series compare to a single Carnot engine?

The efficiency of two Carnot engines in series will always be higher than a single Carnot engine. This is due to the fact that the waste heat from the first engine is utilized by the second engine, resulting in a more efficient use of energy.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series?

The efficiency of two Carnot engines in series can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the materials used for the engines, and any losses in the system due to friction or other inefficiencies.

4. Can the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series ever be 100%?

No, the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series can never be 100%. This is because of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that it is impossible to create a completely efficient heat engine. There will always be some energy lost as waste heat in the system.

5. How can the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series be improved?

The efficiency of two Carnot engines in series can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, using more efficient materials for the engines, and minimizing any losses in the system. Additionally, using a larger number of Carnot engines in series can also improve efficiency, although this may not be practical in all situations.