Understanding Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues in Quantum Mechanics

You can confirm this by substituting the function back into the Hamiltonian operator and seeing if the result is equal to the original function multiplied by the eigenvalue. In summary, the function φ(x) = A sin(2x) + B cos(2x) is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian operator with an eigenvalue of 2h^2/m.
samdiah
I am a seond year Quantum Chemistry student. I am having a hard time understanding these concepts. I was wondering I can get help in this concept.

How can it be demonstrate mathematically in the Hamiltonian operator that the function
φ(x) = A sin(2x) + B cos(2x)

is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian operator:
H=-h^2 d^2
2m dx^2

What is the eigenvalue equal to?

Physics news on Phys.org
samdiah said:
I am a seond year Quantum Chemistry student. I am having a hard time understanding these concepts. I was wondering I can get help in this concept.

How can it be demonstrate mathematically in the Hamiltonian operator that the function
φ(x) = A sin(2x) + B cos(2x)

H=-h^2 d^2
2m dx^2

What is the eigenvalue equal to?

Yikes. That is very difficult to read. You should try and learn some TeX. It is good for the soul, and for the typesetting. for example:

[tex]
H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\;.
[/tex]

I believe that If you click on the above equation it will show you the TeX source that I used to write the equation in such a pretty manner.

Anyways. In order to do what you want you need to take the derivative of
[tex]
A\sin(2 x)+B\cos(2 x)
[/tex]
twice.

what do you get?

Then multiply by
[tex]
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\;.
[/tex]

That is what the symbols on the right hand side of the equation for [itex]H[/itex] are instructing you to do.

What is the end result?

Is it proportional to
[tex]
A\sin(2 x)+B\cos(2 x)
[/tex]
?

What is the proportionality constant?

In case you are not aware of eigenfunctions:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Eigenvalue.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the two derivatives and I found that the function φ(x) = A sin(2x) + B cos(2x)

H=-h2 d2
2m dx2

and the proportionality constant is
2h2
m

Can someone confirm with me if this is right or what did I do wrong?

Thanks so much for all the help.

Yes, you have the correct eigenvalue (proportionality constant).

1. What is the eigenfunction concept?

The eigenfunction concept is a mathematical tool used in the study of differential equations. It involves finding a special type of function, known as an eigenfunction, that satisfies a specific equation and has unique properties that make it useful in solving certain problems.

2. How does the eigenfunction concept relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenfunction concept is used to describe the possible states of a quantum system. The eigenfunctions, also known as wavefunctions, represent the probability amplitudes for a particle to be in a certain state. The concept is essential in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

3. Can eigenfunctions be generalized for all types of differential equations?

Yes, eigenfunctions can be generalized for a wide range of differential equations, including both ordinary and partial differential equations. However, the specific properties of eigenfunctions may vary depending on the type of equation and the boundary conditions.

4. What are some real-world applications of the eigenfunction concept?

The eigenfunction concept has many practical applications, such as in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and engineering. It is also used in image and sound recognition, data compression, and solving heat transfer and diffusion problems.

5. How is the eigenfunction concept different from eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

The eigenfunction concept is closely related to eigenvectors and eigenvalues, but they are not the same. Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are used to find solutions to linear algebra problems, while eigenfunctions are used in the study of differential equations. Eigenfunctions can be thought of as the continuous equivalent of eigenvectors.