1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunctions of an Integral Operator

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If there are any eigenvalues for the following integral operator, calculate them

[tex] Kf(t) = \int_0^1 (1+st) f(s) \ ds [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried making this into a differential equation, to no avail. I've also just tried solving the equation [itex] Kf(t) = \lambda f(t) [/itex] though that also didn't lead anywhere. I'm not sure if there's some special way of attacking problem like this. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a lot easier than you are think it is. Your integral expression is a linear function of t, no matter what f is.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

not too sure.. but how about noticing the t depndence of the function... does the fact
    [tex]\int_0^1 f(s) ds [/tex]
    and
    [tex]\int_0^1 sf(s) ds [/tex]
    are constants help..

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4
    I had tried looking for eigenfunctions of the form [itex] a + bt [/itex] but for some reason got an inconsistent system of equations. I'll go back and look at it again.

6. Dec 2, 2009 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

i haven't tried, but for non-zero b
    (a+bt) = b(a/b+t)

so if (a+bt) is an eigenfunction, then so is (a/b+t) = c+t which ma be easier to deal with

7. Dec 2, 2009 #6
    So if try a function of the form [itex] f(t) = t + a [/itex] and try [itex] K f(t) = \lambda f(t) [/itex] I get the following system of equations
    [tex] \begin{align*}
    \frac13 + \frac a2 &= \lambda \\
    \frac12 + a &= \lambda a
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

I can solve this to get [itex] a = 1.868517092, \lambda = 1.267591879 [/itex]. But it seems odd that an integral operator would only have one eigenvalue in it's spectrum. Furthermore, how can I be sure that this is exhaustive? How would I find other eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

8. Dec 2, 2009 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

the only other option is a constant, which i don't think works as you end up with a t dependence

9. Dec 2, 2009 #8
    Indeed, so you're saying that the only possible eigenfunctions are of the form [itex] f(t) = t+a [/itex] since for all other functions, [itex] Kf(t) [/itex] will be first order polynomial in t.

10. Dec 2, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't you get a quadratic equation in lambda? Aren't there two eigenvalues?

11. Dec 2, 2009 #10
    Yes. I was being lazy an had plugged this into a Maple to solve numerically. But it isn't hard to do algebraically. I realized this, but figured the thread was dead so it wasn't important to post it :P

12. Dec 2, 2009 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Just checking...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook