1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenstates of Hamiltonian

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The hamiltonian of a simple anti-ferromagnetic dimer is given by

H=JS(1)[itex]\bullet[/itex]S(2)-μB(Sz(1)+Sz(2))

find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of H.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The professor gave the hint that the eigenstates are of S2=(S(1)+S(2))2, S(1)2, S(2)2, and Sz. So I know I should have four eigenvalues. but I still have no Idea how to get this into a form that I recognize as being able to get eigenvalues from. (a matrix, a DiffEQ, etc.)

Please help

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The hint is to help you to deal with the ##\vec{S}_1\cdot\vec{S}_2## term. Rewrite that term in terms of ##\vec{S}^2##, ##\vec{S}_1^2##, and ##\vec{S}_2^2##.

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3
    When I do that, and apply the spin operators, S2 ket (S,Sz)=s(s+1) ket (s,sz) and Sz ket (S,Sz) = szket (s,sz)(sorry, couldn't find the ket symbol in latex)
    I get
    H = J/2 (s(s+1) - s1(s1+1)-s2(s2+1))-μB(s1z+s2z)

Is this correct?

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes. Now you can calculate what H does to simultaneous eigenstates of ##\vec{S}^2##, ##S_z##, ##\vec{S}_1^2##, and ##\vec{S}_2^2##. Recall that these are exactly the states that you got from adding angular momenta.

6. Feb 12, 2013 #5
    I get four answers : J/4 + μB, J/4 -μB, J/4 and - 3J/4. Is this right? These look like the singlet and triplet state energies, but with an added B term.

7. Feb 12, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yeah, that looks right.

8. Feb 12, 2013 #7
    Thanks so much Vela! you've been a wonderful help.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook