Eigenvalue equation, prove that a is real.

• Thread starter LogicX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalue
In summary, we are given a self-adjoint operator and an eigenvalue equation. We are asked to prove that the eigenvalue, ai, is a real number. To do this, we write the eigenvalue equation and its complex conjugate, multiply both sides by the eigenfunction, and take the integral. Using the property of a self-adjoint operator, we can then prove that ai is equal to its complex conjugate, therefore making it a real number.
LogicX

Homework Statement

You are given a self-adjoint operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and the equation and [itex]\hat{A}\Phi_{i} ~=~ \Phi_{i}a_{i}[/itex]. Prove that ai are real numbers.

Homework Equations

There are instructions to guide me along with the question. The first step it says to do is write the eigenvalue equation (what I have already written above) and its complex conjugate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I would have a decent shot of doing this on my own if I could get this first step. I'm not sure what the complex conjugate of an eigenvalue equation looks like. The eigenfunction is [itex]\Phi[/itex]. A hat is an operator, and ai is the eigenvalue. So is the complex conjugate just replacing a with a*? I've tried to look this up online and in my book and I can't find anything.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LogicX said:

Homework Statement

You are given a self-adjoint operator and the equation [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{A}\Phi_{i} ~=~ \Phi_{i}a_{i}[/itex]. Prove that ai are real numbers.

Homework Equations

There are instructions to guide me along with the question. The first step it says to do is write the eigenvalue equation (what I have already written above) and its complex conjugate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I would have a decent shot of doing this on my own if I could get this first step. I'm not sure what the complex conjugate of an eigenvalue equation looks like. The eigenfunction is [itex]\Phi[/itex]. A hat is an operator, and ai is the eigenvalue. So is the complex conjugate just replacing a with a*? I've tried to look this up online and in my book and I can't find anything.

It should just mean take the conjugate of everything. Not just a.

Ok I lied, I still need help.

So write both equations.
1) [itex]\hat{A}\Phi_{i} ~=~ \Phi_{i}a_{i}[/itex]

2) [itex]\hat{A*}\Phi_{i}* ~=~ \Phi_{i}*a_{i}*[/itex]

Multiply (1) by [itex]\Phi[/itex], and (2) by [itex]\Phi*[/itex]

1) [itex]\Phi_{i} \hat{A}\Phi_{i} ~=~ \Phi_{i}\Phi_{i}a_{i}[/itex]

2) [itex]\Phi_{i}* \hat{A}*\Phi_{i}* ~=~ \Phi_{i}*\Phi_{i}*a_{i}*[/itex]

Take the integral of both equations:

1) [itex]\int \Phi_{i} \hat{A}\Phi_{i} ~=~ \int \Phi_{i}\Phi_{i}a_{i}[/itex]

2) [itex]\int \Phi_{i}* \hat{A}*\Phi_{i}* ~=~ \int \Phi_{i}*\Phi_{i}*a_{i}*[/itex]

I know that [itex]\left\langle \Phi A | \Phi \right\rangle ~=~ \int \Phi A \Phi[/itex]

But I don't know where to go from here. I can right the left side of the equations in dirac notation, but I'm not sure what happens to the right side. And I don't know how this relates the complex conjugates...

Last edited:
Self-adjoint means that [itex]<\Phi|\hat{A}\Phi>=<\hat{A}\Phi|\Phi>[/itex], knowing [itex]\Phi[/itex] is an eigenvector with eigenvalue a, you should easily figure out that a*=a.

sunjin09 said:
Self-adjoint means that [itex]<\Phi|\hat{A}\Phi>=<\hat{A}\Phi|\Phi>[/itex], knowing [itex]\Phi[/itex] is an eigenvector with eigenvalue a, you should easily figure out that a*=a.

The property of it being self-adjoint tells me that:

[itex]\int A^{*} \Phi^{*} \Phi ~=~ \int \Phi^{*} A \Phi[/itex]

How does this help me with those integrals I wrote above (if my integrals are even correct)? The method we are given to solve it is write the eigenvalue equation and its complex conjugate. Multiply each side by phi and phi*, respectively. Take the integral, and then use the fact that it is a self adjoint operator to prove that a*=a.

LogicX said:

How does this help me with those integrals I wrote above (if my integrals are even correct)? The method we are given to solve it is write the eigenvalue equation and its complex conjugate. Multiply each side by phi and phi*, respectively. Take the integral, and then use the fact that it is a self adjoint operator to prove that a*=a.

Your equation is wrong, the correct form is
[itex]\int (A\Phi)^{*} \Phi = \int \Phi^{*} A \Phi[/itex]
[itex]LHS=a^*\int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]
[itex]RHS=a\int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]

sunjin09 said:
Your equation is wrong, the correct form is
[itex]\int (A\Phi)^{*} \Phi = \int \Phi^{*} A \Phi[/itex]
[itex]LHS=a^*\int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]
[itex]RHS=a\int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]

I guess I need to go talk to my professor because I am really lost here. I don't know why [itex] (A\Phi)^{*} \neq A^{*} \Phi^{*}[/itex].

I also don't know how you got your second and third equations from the first one. And my textbook doesn't cover this at all so I don't know where to turn...

EDIT: Would you be able to go through the steps I listed in order to prove it? I think my professor knows we don't know very much about this subject so he gave us a path for solving the question.

In the first response I got, does that mean the complex conjugate is (A Phi)*= Phi*a*, not A*Phi* etc.

Last edited:
LogicX said:
I guess I need to go talk to my professor because I am really lost here. I don't know why [itex] (A\Phi)^{*} \neq A^{*} \Phi^{*}[/itex].

I also don't know how you got your second and third equations from the first one. And my textbook doesn't cover this at all so I don't know where to turn...

EDIT: Would you be able to go through the steps I listed in order to prove it? I think my professor knows we don't know very much about this subject so he gave us a path for solving the question.

In the first response I got, does that mean the complex conjugate is (A Phi)*= Phi*a*, not A*Phi* etc.

I'm using X for easy typing here. If you think of A as nxn matrix and X as nx1 vector, (AX)* is 1xn, and A*X* is not even defined (nxn matrix times 1xn vector), the * represent conjugate transpose of a vector or a matrix.

The step is X*(AX)=X*(aX)=a(X*X), and X*(AX)=X*(A*X)=(X*A*)X=(AX)*X=(aX)*X=a*(X*X), therefore a*=a since (X*X)=|X|^2≠0. The step you don't understand is probably (AX)*=X*A*, which should be familiar from your freshmen linear algebra class.

LogicX said:

[itex]\int \Phi^{*} A \Phi=\int \Phi^{*} a \Phi=a \int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex] and since [itex]A^{*} \Phi^*=a^* \Phi^*[/itex], [itex]\int A^{*} \Phi^{*} A =a^{*} \int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]. If they are equal since A is self adjoint, doesn't that show [itex]a=a^{*}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Dick said:
[itex]\int \Phi^{*} A \Phi=\int \Phi^{*} a \Phi=a \int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex] and since [itex]A^{*} \Phi^*=a^* \Phi^*[/itex], [itex]\int A^{*} \Phi^{*} A =a^{*} \int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]. If they are equal since A is self adjoint, doesn't that show [itex]a=a^{*}[/itex]?

In this case, are you multiplying the complex conjugate by Phi and the regular equation by Phi*? Your way makes sense and I was thinking that was how I should be doing it, I just was confused because the wording of the question made it seem like the complex conjugate should be multiplied by Phi*...

Also, should that last part be:

[itex]\int A^{*} \Phi^{*} \Phi =a^{*} \int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]

Your answer makes perfect sense to me. The wording had just confused me because of the way he said to multiply by Phi and Phi* "respectively". But it seems to work your way so that it good enough for me. Part of me was thinking I should have been doing it your way, but he seemed so adamant about just following his steps in order to solve it that I brushed those thoughts aside.

Last edited:
LogicX said:
In this case, are you multiplying the complex conjugate by Phi and the regular equation by Phi*? Your way makes sense and I was thinking that was how I should be doing it, I just was confused because the wording of the question made it seem like the complex conjugate should be multiplied by Phi*...

Also, should that last part be:

[itex]\int A^{*} \Phi^{*} \Phi =a^{*} \int \Phi^{*} \Phi[/itex]

Your answer makes perfect sense to me. The wording had just confused me because of the way he said to multiply by Phi and Phi* "respectively". But it seems to work your way so that it good enough for me. Part of me was thinking I should have been doing it your way, but he seemed so adamant about just following his steps in order to solve it that I brushed those thoughts aside.

Yes, I think "Multiply (1) by Φ, and (2) by Φ∗" should have been the opposite. And I did substitute an 'A' for a 'Φ'. Sorry.

1. What is an eigenvalue equation?

An eigenvalue equation is a mathematical equation that is used to find the eigenvalues of a matrix. An eigenvalue is a special number associated with a matrix that represents how the matrix stretches or compresses a vector.

2. How is the eigenvalue equation used in science?

The eigenvalue equation is used in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering, to analyze and interpret data. It is especially useful in quantum mechanics and spectroscopy to understand the energy levels of atoms and molecules.

3. Why is it important to prove that a is real in the eigenvalue equation?

Proving that a is real in the eigenvalue equation is important because it ensures that the matrix is diagonalizable, meaning it can be simplified into a diagonal matrix. This simplification makes it easier to solve complex problems and analyze the data.

4. What does it mean for a to be real in the eigenvalue equation?

If a is real in the eigenvalue equation, it means that the matrix is symmetric. This means that the matrix is equal to its transpose, and it has real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors. Symmetric matrices have many properties that make them easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

5. Can the eigenvalue equation be used to find complex eigenvalues?

No, the eigenvalue equation cannot be used to find complex eigenvalues. If the matrix is real and symmetric, then the eigenvalues will also be real. However, if the matrix is complex, the eigenvalues may also be complex. In this case, a different equation, called the characteristic polynomial, must be used to find the complex eigenvalues.