1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue for harmonic oscillator

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Hamiltonian for a particle in a harmonic potential is given by
    [itex]\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{Kx^2}{2}[/itex], where K is the spring constant. Start with the trial wave function [itex]\psi(x)=exp(\frac{-x^2}{2a^2})[/itex]
    and solve the energy eigenvalue equation [itex]\hat{H}\psi(x)=E\psi(x)[/itex]. You must find the value of the constant, a, which will make applying the Hamiltonian to the function return a constant time[sic, I assume he meant "times"] the function. Then find the energy eigenvalue.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{Kx^2}{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\psi(x)=exp(\frac{-x^2}{2a^2})[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{H}\psi(x)=E\psi(x)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Application of the Hamiltonian gave me:
    [itex]\hat{H}\psi(x)=[\frac{h^2}{2m}(\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{x^2}{a^2})+\frac{1}{2}Kx^2]\psi(x)=E\psi(x)[/itex]

If I understand the problem correctly, since E and a must be constant, I must come up with an a, devoid of any x's or functions of x's so taking the Hamiltonian will yield something equally devoid of x's and functions of x's.

I mean, I get that I should have [itex][\frac{h^2}{2m}(\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{x^2}{a^2})+\frac{1}{2}Kx^2]=E[/itex] for some constants E, a. The problem is, I have no clue how to go about solving that and getting a to not involve any x's, nor am I convinced that it's possible. Using the quadratic formula on it gives a big mess (involving x), so I'm pretty sure that's the wrong route.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a sign error: How is the operator [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] defined?

To remove x from the equation, collect the terms with x2. You have to choose the parameter a properly, so as the two terms cancel each other.

ehild

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also check to see if you have enough factors of ##a## in the denominator of your ##x^2/a^2## term.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4
    Thanks, I found the sign error and got it worked out. As for the factors of a, you're right, I actually typed it in wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted