Eigenvalue for harmonic oscillator

It should be exp[-x^2/(2a^2)], so that it correctly simplifies.In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the value of the constant 'a' in the Hamiltonian equation for a particle in a harmonic potential, in order to make the application of the Hamiltonian to the function result in a constant times the function. The conversation also addresses the need to remove 'x' from the equation by choosing the parameter 'a' properly.
Habeebe

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for a particle in a harmonic potential is given by
[itex]\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{Kx^2}{2}[/itex], where K is the spring constant. Start with the trial wave function [itex]\psi(x)=exp(\frac{-x^2}{2a^2})[/itex]
and solve the energy eigenvalue equation [itex]\hat{H}\psi(x)=E\psi(x)[/itex]. You must find the value of the constant, a, which will make applying the Hamiltonian to the function return a constant time[sic, I assume he meant "times"] the function. Then find the energy eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{Kx^2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\psi(x)=exp(\frac{-x^2}{2a^2})[/itex]
[itex]\hat{H}\psi(x)=E\psi(x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Application of the Hamiltonian gave me:
[itex]\hat{H}\psi(x)=[\frac{h^2}{2m}(\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{x^2}{a^2})+\frac{1}{2}Kx^2]\psi(x)=E\psi(x)[/itex]

If I understand the problem correctly, since E and a must be constant, I must come up with an a, devoid of any x's or functions of x's so taking the Hamiltonian will yield something equally devoid of x's and functions of x's.

I mean, I get that I should have [itex][\frac{h^2}{2m}(\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{x^2}{a^2})+\frac{1}{2}Kx^2]=E[/itex] for some constants E, a. The problem is, I have no clue how to go about solving that and getting a to not involve any x's, nor am I convinced that it's possible. Using the quadratic formula on it gives a big mess (involving x), so I'm pretty sure that's the wrong route.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a sign error: How is the operator [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] defined?

To remove x from the equation, collect the terms with x2. You have to choose the parameter a properly, so as the two terms cancel each other.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Also check to see if you have enough factors of ##a## in the denominator of your ##x^2/a^2## term.

Thanks, I found the sign error and got it worked out. As for the factors of a, you're right, I actually typed it in wrong.

I would first commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and for recognizing the need for a constant value of a. I would then suggest that they try to simplify the equation by factoring out a common term, like x^2, and see if that leads to any solutions. Additionally, they could try substituting the given wave function into the energy eigenvalue equation and see if they can solve for a that way. If they are still having trouble, I would suggest consulting with a professor or fellow classmates for guidance and further clarification on the problem. It is important to remember that not all problems have simple solutions and it is okay to seek help and collaborate with others in the scientific community.

1. What is an eigenvalue for a harmonic oscillator?

An eigenvalue for a harmonic oscillator is a characteristic value that represents the energy levels of the system. It is obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation for the quantum harmonic oscillator.

2. How does the eigenvalue relate to the energy of the harmonic oscillator?

The eigenvalue directly corresponds to the energy of the harmonic oscillator. Each eigenvalue represents a specific energy level, with higher eigenvalues corresponding to higher energy levels.

3. Can the eigenvalue for a harmonic oscillator be negative?

No, the eigenvalue for a harmonic oscillator cannot be negative. This is because the energy levels for a harmonic oscillator are quantized and can only take on positive values.

4. Is the eigenvalue for a harmonic oscillator always the same?

No, the eigenvalue for a harmonic oscillator can vary depending on the properties of the system. For example, the eigenvalue can change if there is an external force acting on the system or if the system has a different mass or spring constant.

5. How is the eigenvalue calculated for a harmonic oscillator?

The eigenvalue for a harmonic oscillator is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves finding the wavefunction and applying boundary conditions to determine the allowed energy levels and corresponding eigenvalues.