Solving Eigenvalue Problem for Operator d2/dx2 - bx2, Function psi=e^-ax2

In summary, the conversation discusses the operator d2/dx2 - bx2 and the function psi=e^-ax2, and the question of finding the values of the constants "a" and "b" if psi is an eigenfunction for the operator. The conversation suggests applying the operator to psi and setting the result to c*psi in order to find a relation between a and b that makes c a constant. However, there is confusion about the result of the operator on psi and the need to first determine the correct value before solving for the eigenvalues.
quark16

Homework Statement

operator is d2/dx2 - bx2
function is psi=e^-ax2

if this fuction is eigenfuction for this operator, what is "a" and "b" constants value?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the operator to psi. Set what results to c*psi. Can you find a relation between a and b that makes c a constant?

this question is from Atkins physical chemistry. psi is not constant, it is just only wavefunction. Thank you for your attention, I really don't solve this question

Makes "c" a constant, not makes "psi" a constant. Start by applying the operator to the wavefunction psi. What do you get??

result is 2e^-ax2 (abx2-2bx+2a2). It is mean (abx2-2bx+2a2) is a constant. But this question want to value of a and b. I am confused.??

i see. c=2c(abx2-2bx+2a2) . But still I don't found value of a and b. May be problem is me :)

I get something pretty different for the value of the operator on psi. If you multiply it out shouldn't there be a -b*x^2*psi(x) part from the '-bx2' part of your operator? We'd better worry about getting the value of the operator right before we talk about eigenvalues. What's the second derivative of psi?

Last edited:

1. What is an eigenvalue problem?

An eigenvalue problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the values (known as eigenvalues) and corresponding functions (known as eigenvectors) that satisfy a specific equation. In this case, we are solving an eigenvalue problem for a differential operator.

2. What is the d2/dx2 operator?

The d2/dx2 operator is a second-order derivative operator, which means it represents the rate of change of a function with respect to the second derivative of its independent variable. In this case, the independent variable is x.

3. What does the -bx2 term represent in this equation?

The -bx2 term represents a potential energy function that is dependent on the variable x. This term is often used in physics and engineering to model various physical systems.

4. What is the significance of the function psi=e^-ax2 in this problem?

The function psi=e^-ax2 is the solution to the eigenvalue problem in this case. It represents the wave function of a quantum mechanical system, where a is a constant and x represents the position of the particle. This function satisfies the differential equation and helps us find the corresponding eigenvalues.

5. How can we solve this eigenvalue problem?

To solve this eigenvalue problem, we can use various methods such as the power series method, the variation of parameters method, or the numerical method. These methods involve manipulating the given equation to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors that satisfy it. In this case, we can use the power series method to find the solutions.