Eigenvalues of a 2x2 Matrix: What's the Mistake?

In summary: Just keep in mind that attention to detail is key in mathematics and it's always a good idea to double check your calculations. In summary, the eigenvalues of the given matrix are 6 and -4.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues of the matrix
##
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
3 & -1.5\\
-1.5 & -1\\
\end{array} \right)
##
It's probably a really stupid mistake, but the answer I get doesn't match the answer from wolfram alpha's eigenvalue calculator... always a bad sign.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The characteristic equation is:
(3-λ)(-1-λ) -##\frac{9}{4}## = 0
→ λ2-2λ - ##\frac{21}{4}## = 0
Using the quadratic formula,

λ = ##\frac{2 \pm \sqrt{4 - (4\times -\frac{21}{4})}}{2}##
= ##1 \pm \sqrt{25}##
= 6 or -4.

But apparently, I should be getting -1.5 and 3.5 . I have checked it so many times to see where I've gone wrong! What's the mistake??

Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
λ = ##\frac{2 \pm \sqrt{4 - (4\times -\frac{21}{4})}}{2}##
= ##1 \pm \sqrt{25}##
= 6 or -4.

But apparently, I should be getting -1.5 and 3.5 . I have checked it so many times to see where I've gone wrong! What's the mistake??
The 2 in the denominator divides into the entire numerator. You appeared to cancel it with the 2 from the -b part of the numerator, but ignored the rest of the numerator.

Likes whatisreality
you lost 1/2 calculating λ. It's √25 / 2 and not √25

##\frac{a + b}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c}##

Likes whatisreality
vela said:
The 2 in the denominator divides into the entire numerator. You appeared to cancel it with the 2 from the -b part of the numerator, but ignored the rest of the numerator.
You wouldn't believe how long I stared a that question. And didn't spot it. Thanks, I was getting so frustrated!

that happens sometimes and the honest of us aren't afraid to admit that it happens to them as well from time to time

Likes whatisreality

1. What are eigenvalues of a 2x2 matrix?

The eigenvalues of a 2x2 matrix are the values that, when multiplied by the matrix, give back the same matrix with a scalar multiple. In other words, they are the values that do not change the direction of the original matrix, but only scale it.

2. How do you find the eigenvalues of a 2x2 matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a 2x2 matrix, you first need to find the determinant of the matrix. Then, using the quadratic formula, you can solve for the two eigenvalues. Alternatively, you can also use the characteristic equation to find the eigenvalues.

3. Why are eigenvalues important in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues are important in linear algebra because they help us understand the behavior of linear transformations and systems of linear equations. They also allow us to find important properties of a matrix, such as its trace and determinant.

4. Can a 2x2 matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This is because the characteristic equation can have complex roots, and the eigenvalues are the roots of the characteristic equation.

5. How many eigenvalues can a 2x2 matrix have?

A 2x2 matrix can have two eigenvalues. This is because a 2x2 matrix can be diagonalized, meaning it can be expressed as a product of a diagonal matrix and another matrix. The diagonal entries of the diagonal matrix are the eigenvalues of the original matrix.