1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvector proof

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If v and w are eigenvectors with different (nonzero) eigenvalues, prove that they are
    linearly independent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Define an operator A such that a is an nxn matrix, and Av=cIv with
    c an eigenvalue and v and eigenvector. Define a basis
    <v1...vn> in that v=vi and w=vk 1<=k<=n and 1<=i<=n,
    and let ci,i, be an element in A. I is the identity matrix.

Consider I*v, a 1xn column matrix with its lonely nonzero (1) at position 1,i.
    Let the value at ci,i=c.Multiplying I*v by A gives c*Iv . If I*w (another 1xn column
    matrix) had 1 at position 1,i, it would
    correspond with ci,i on A and we would get c*Iw. But we assume w has a different
    eigenvalue. Therefore I*w must have its 1 at a different position to correspond with
    a different value on A (call it k). Since I*v must have 1 at a row different from I*w,
    let c*Ia1v+k*Ia2w=0, and since 1 is at different rows, and c and I and k are not zero,
    a1 and a2 must be 0, so we have c*I*0*v+I*k*0*w=0*v+0*w=0, thus
    a1 and a2 are trivial so v and w are linearly independent.

I kind of have a gut feeling that this may be too wordy.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you have looks correct, but - as you said - perhaps you are overdoing a little :)

I would just start with stating that v and w are eigenvectors:
    (1a) A v = c v
    (1b) A w = d w
    for some numbers c and d. We know that c is not equal to d and neither is equal to 0.

Now not being linearly independent means that there does not exist a number k such that w = k v. This is not pleasant to work with, so a proof by contradiction suggests itself. Suppose that there does exist a k such that
    (2) w = k v.

Now can you derive a contradiction?
    (Note: the rest of the proof is rather straightforward, because all you have to work with are equations (1a), (1b) and (2)).

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a special case of the last problem you posted. You don't need a basis and you don't need a matrix. If Av=av and Au=bu (a not equal b) you want to show that if cv+du=0 then both c and d are zero. Hit that equation with (A-aI).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook