Understanding Einstein Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Latin and Greek indices in mathematical notation, specifically in terms of starting at 0 or 1. The conversation also mentions the convention of using Latin indices for spacelike dimensions and Greek indices for abstract indices.
schwarzschild
I thought that when you used a roman letter such as v that you started at 1 instead of 0. For instance if you had:
[tex] A^v C_{\mu v} [/tex]

Wouldn't that just be: [tex] A^1C_{\mu 1} + A^2C_{\mu 2} + A^3C_{\mu 3} [/tex] ?

(this is one of the problems with a solution from Schutz's book and the solution starts with [tex] v = 0 [/tex] )

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure its not a [tex] \nu [/tex] instead of a [tex] v [/tex]?

I think in many notations the index normally represents a 4-vector(though it doesn't HAVE to be 4 dimensions), which in some(most?) notations start with 0. Any pairs of indices just implies a sum. I think for everything I've ever done the first index is 0 rather than 1.

Wow! Thanks for pointing that out - the two are confusingly similar in appearance :biggrin:.

schwarzschild said:
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out - the two are confusingly similar in appearance :biggrin:.

Usually Latin indicies start i,j,k ... if the author has indicated a different convention between Latin and Greek indecies.

A lot of older books use the convention that Latin versus Greek indices indicates spacelike indices versus ones that range over all four dimensions. The convention you'll see more commonly in newer books is to use abstract index notation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_index_notation , with Latin indices indicating that they're abstract indices, Greek meaning that they refer to a particular basis.

Likes cianfa72

1. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as Einstein summation convention, is a mathematical notation commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify expressions involving tensor algebra and vector calculus. It was developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How does Einstein notation work?

Einstein notation uses Greek indices to represent the dimensions of a tensor or vector. Repeated indices in a term indicate summation over all possible values of that index. This notation allows for the manipulation of complex equations with multiple indices in a concise and efficient way.

3. What are the benefits of using Einstein notation?

Einstein notation allows for the simplification and compact representation of complicated equations, making them easier to work with and understand. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different terms in an expression.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Einstein notation?

While Einstein notation can be useful for simplifying equations, it can also be confusing for those who are not familiar with it. It also requires a good understanding of tensor algebra and vector calculus to use effectively.

5. Where is Einstein notation commonly used?

Einstein notation is primarily used in the fields of physics and engineering, particularly in the study of relativity and electromagnetism. It is also used in other areas of mathematics and science, such as differential geometry and quantum mechanics.