Einstein Tensor; super simple derivation; where did I go wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses the product of the covariant and contravariant metric, which is the multiplicative identity matrix, and its relation to the divergence free nature of the Einstein tensor. It also mentions a possible error in notation by Professor Susskind and the importance of not overloading indices in equations.
nobraner
Start with

[itex]\nabla_{μ}R^{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{μ}R^{\mu\nu}[/itex]

insert the multiplicative identity, expressed as the product of the covariant and contravariant metric

[itex]\nabla_{μ}R^{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{μ}(g^{\mu \nu}g_{\mu\nu})R^{\mu\nu}[/itex]

contract the indices of the Ricci Tensor, to get

[itex]\nabla_{μ}R^{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{μ}g^{\mu\nu}R[/itex]

but the general theory tells us that

[itex]\nabla_{μ}R^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2} \nabla_{μ}g^{\mu\nu}R[/itex]

Where have I gone wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Er, [itex]g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu}=4[/itex], so it appears you inserted 4 into the right hand side on the second line. You are also seriously overloading your indices.

The divergence free nature of the Einstein tensor arises from the Bianchi Identity.

Last edited:
Professor Lenard Susskind explicitly states in his YouTube videos that

[itex]g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu}=\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex]

The product of the covariant and contravariant metric is the kroniker delta (the multiplicative identity matrix). Although, he does say somewhere that if you have

[itex]\delta^{a}_{\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\delta^{\nu}_{b}[/itex]

and you identify a with b as

[itex]\delta^{a}_{\nu}\delta^{\nu}_{a}[/itex]=[itex]\delta^{\nu}_{\nu}[/itex]

Then you are summing over a which is simply the sum of the 1's in the diagonal of the identity matrix and that gives you 4.

Last edited:
nobraner said:

This relation is wrong.

[itex]g^{\mu\nu} g_{\mu\rho} = \delta^\nu_\rho[/itex]

then, if we take [tex]\nu = \rho[/tex] we obtain:

[tex]g^{\mu\nu} g_{\mu\nu} = \delta^\nu_\nu[/tex]

but the last term is the trace of Kronecker delta which is four if [tex]dim(M) = 4[/tex]

Last edited:
If as you say, Professor Susskind is wrong, then I feel betrayed that a physicist of his stature would teach error.

nobraner said:
If as you say, Professor Susskind is wrong, then I feel betrayed that a physicist of his stature would teach error.

Why? Isn't he human? :D

Anyway, relation above hasn't free indices:

[tex]g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

so it has to a scalar. Indeed it is dimension of manifold.

Sorry for my poor english :D

Last edited:
nobraner said:

In that case he made a notational error. An equation with no free indices on the right, but free indices on the left could never be right.

It's very easy to make such a simple error, especially if you are teaching a class.

Also, don't overload your indices, that's another very important point. If you already see mu's and nu's and then you introduce another set of mu's and nu's and you sum over them, for example, you are bound to make errors.

nobraner said:

I think he meant [itex]g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu}=\delta^{\mu}_{\mu}[/itex] and this is just trace of Identity matrix, and equals n, where n is dimension of Manifold (usually 4).

1. What is the Einstein Tensor?

The Einstein Tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

2. How is the Einstein Tensor derived?

The Einstein Tensor is derived by taking the Ricci curvature tensor, which describes the local curvature of spacetime, and subtracting half of its trace. This is known as the Einstein Field Equation.

3. Can you provide a simple derivation of the Einstein Tensor?

A simple derivation of the Einstein Tensor involves using the metric tensor, which describes the geometry of spacetime, to calculate the Ricci curvature tensor. Then, the trace of the Ricci tensor is taken and subtracted from the original tensor to obtain the Einstein Tensor.

4. Where can I find a more detailed derivation of the Einstein Tensor?

A more detailed derivation of the Einstein Tensor can be found in textbooks or online resources on the theory of general relativity. It typically involves advanced mathematical concepts and may require a strong understanding of tensor calculus.

5. Where can I learn more about the applications of the Einstein Tensor?

The Einstein Tensor is a central component in the theory of general relativity and has many applications in understanding the behavior of gravity and the structure of the universe. You can find more information in physics or astrophysics textbooks, as well as academic journals and online resources.