Einstein's Theory - Is Moving Away at Speed 'c' Constant Time?

• Thread starter gpsinghsandhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation in special relativity, specifically in relation to an observer moving away from a clock at the speed of light. The general consensus is that while the clock would not stand still, it would appear to run slower from the observer's perspective. However, due to the limitations of relativity, it is not possible for an observer to move at the speed of light.
gpsinghsandhu
I saw in some video that acc. to the theory if we move away from a clock with a speed 'c', then we would see a constant time. Is it correct? Please explain..

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could move away from a clock at speed c and you were looking back at the clock, isn't it obvious that you would continually see the same image of the clock, ie, not changing?

gpsinghsandhu said:
I saw in some video that acc. to the theory if we move away from a clock with a speed 'c', then we would see a constant time. Is it correct? Please explain..

By "constant time," do you mean that the clock reading would stand still? No, it wouldn't stand still, but you would see the clock as running slower.

If you want to get started on special relativity, a book I always recommend to people is Relativity Simply Explained by Gardner.

bcrowell said:
By "constant time," do you mean that the clock reading would stand still? No, it wouldn't stand still, but you would see the clock as running slower.
The question was specifically about moving away from the clock at c, not just a fraction of c, so I think the correct answer--as you have noted in other discussions--is that relativity doesn't allow us to talk about the point of view of an observer moving at exactly c (it would be impossible to accelerate any observer to c, and photons don't have their own rest frame or a way of measuring time)

JesseM said:
The question was specifically about moving away from the clock at c, not just a fraction of c, so I think the correct answer--as you have noted in other discussions--is that relativity doesn't allow us to talk about the point of view of an observer moving at exactly c (it would be impossible to accelerate any observer to c, and photons don't have their own rest frame or a way of measuring time)

Oops, I missed the fact that the OP said at c. You're right, of course.

1. What is Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

Einstein's Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. What is meant by "moving away at the speed of light" in reference to Einstein's Theory?

This phrase refers to the concept that the speed of light, denoted as 'c', is the fastest speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. According to Einstein's Theory, nothing can move faster than the speed of light.

3. Is time constant when moving away at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's Theory, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity. When an object is moving away at the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object relative to an observer.

4. How does Einstein's Theory explain the concept of time dilation?

Einstein's Theory of Relativity explains time dilation as the difference in the passage of time for a stationary observer compared to an observer moving at high speeds. This phenomenon occurs because time is relative and can be affected by the speed and gravity of an object.

5. Can anything ever reach the speed of light?

According to Einstein's Theory, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. Therefore, it is impossible for anything to reach the speed of light.