Einsteins though experiment and e=mc^2

In summary: So, the radiation actually displaces the railway car a tiny bit before it hits the wall, thus creating the recoil.
uraknai
I came across a book a few weeks ago that tried to explain how einstein "derived" the formula and wasn't sure how accurate the description was. I'll write it out as best I can so you can either pick faults with it or tell me it's correct:

In Einsteins thought experiment there is an isolated box in free space of length L and mass M. Photons are emitted from one with energy E and velocity c ( and so the photons have momentum E/c) causing the box to recoil with velocity v = -E/Mc.

After time dt, the photons hit the wall bringing the box to rest so the box has moved a distance of dx wher dx = v dt = -EL/Mc^2.

Since the box is an isolated system the centre of mass and its contents haven't moved and so the radiation has carried the equivalent of a mass m s.t,

mL + M dx = 0

so mL - EL/c^2 = 0

by factoring out L we get we get m - E/c^2 = 0

so E = mc^2

Was this thought experiment just a way for Einstein to deduce what the relationship between relativistic mass and energy might be so he could work on a more rigorous proof or was the book making things up :confused:.

Also, could someone explain what the paragraph highlighted in red means :smile:

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
uraknai said:
I came across a book a few weeks ago that tried to explain how einstein "derived" the formula and wasn't sure how accurate the description was. I'll write it out as best I can so you can either pick faults with it or tell me it's correct:

In Einsteins thought experiment there is an isolated box in free space of length L and mass M. Photons are emitted from one with energy E and velocity c ( and so the photons have momentum E/c) causing the box to recoil with velocity v = -E/Mc.

After time dt, the photons hit the wall bringing the box to rest so the box has moved a distance of dx wher dx = v dt = -EL/Mc^2.

Since the box is an isolated system the centre of mass and its contents haven't moved and so the radiation has carried the equivalent of a mass m s.t,

mL + M dx = 0

so mL - EL/c^2 = 0

by factoring out L we get we get m - E/c^2 = 0

so E = mc^2

Was this thought experiment just a way for Einstein to deduce what the relationship between relativistic mass and energy might be so he could work on a more rigorous proof or was the book making things up :confused:.

Also, could someone explain what the paragraph highlighted in red means :smile:

Thanks
That is not exactly Einstein's thought experiment. I posted the correct one in its entirety here

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/einsteins_box.htm

The part in red only means that since the center of mass must remain constant and radiation left one side and the box moved then the light must carry mass with it. Einstein then concluded that light has mass. He didn't state that explicitly in that part of the paper. He did state it in the second part of the paper though.

Pete

The experiment is discussed by Max Born, "Einstein's Theory of Relativity." Yes, the box, or railway car, is displaced by the transmission of radiation. On Page 284, it says "Then A experiences a recoil E/c... The displacement of the tube is X=EL/Mc^2.

Then Born goes on to say,"Now the bodies A and B may be interchanged (this may be done without using exterior forces). ...According to ordinary mechanics the tube as a whole must suffer no displacement..." Yes, but Born postulates that two men are situated in the tube, who exchange similar equipment from one side to the other in order to restore things as they originally were.

Wow...I never know it was THAT complex.

Gamecubesupreme: Wow...I never know it was THAT complex.

Well, another matter that Born gets into is that the "kick" from the radiation travels through the metal of the "railway car" at less than the speed of light.

Related to Einsteins though experiment and e=mc^2

1. What is Einstein's famous thought experiment?

Einstein's famous thought experiment, also known as the "twin paradox", involves two identical twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they would have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, showcasing the effects of time dilation.

2. How does the thought experiment relate to the equation e=mc^2?

The thought experiment demonstrates the concept of mass-energy equivalence, which is represented by the equation e=mc^2. It shows that energy and mass are interchangeable and that even a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy.

3. What does e=mc^2 stand for?

The equation e=mc^2 stands for "energy equals mass times the speed of light squared". It represents the mass-energy equivalence and is a fundamental principle in Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. How did Einstein come up with e=mc^2?

Einstein's famous equation was a result of his theory of special relativity, which he developed in 1905. He realized that the speed of light was constant and that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers. Through mathematical calculations, he derived the equation e=mc^2 as a consequence of this theory.

5. What are the real-world applications of e=mc^2?

The equation e=mc^2 has had significant impacts in the fields of physics, energy, and technology. It has been used to explain the energy released in nuclear reactions and is the basis for nuclear power and weapons. It has also been used in the development of technologies such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans and nuclear medicine treatments for cancer. Additionally, it has helped scientists understand the origins of the universe and the processes involved in star formation and energy production within stars.